Author Topic: Horford 6MOY  (Read 2106 times)

Horford 6MOY
« on: April 15, 2024, 02:26:42 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I know he won't win, but I think he deserves some love. Strong shooting and he continues to be a solid defender.  His numbers overall were similar to Walton's in 86.

Re: Horford 6MOY
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 02:30:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Who are the other contenders for 6MOY?

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 02:37:01 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Odds are for Malik Monk and Naz Reid. I like Naz as a candidate. On balance, I'd take Al over them but he doesn't have the raw numbers to get the visibility.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 02:43:31 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
I agree, Horford should be in the conversation.  After a slow start to the season he's been a remarkable luxury to have off the bench.  Shooting 42% from 3 this season, 44% post All-Star break. 

I think the only knock is how many games he's missed (which of course were intentional for rest).  I think a lot of people will disqualify him for 6 MOTY on this alone...  Actually, now that I look at it, he still played 65 games this season.  Should be in the convo.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 03:06:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Odds are for Malik Monk and Naz Reid. I like Naz as a candidate. On balance, I'd take Al over them but he doesn't have the raw numbers to get the visibility.

Naz Reid has been awesome. I'd go with him.

I'd take Horford over Monk. Monk has been good scoring wise but Horford's all-round game is more valuable.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 03:38:41 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
I'd go with Naz Reid, personally.  Minny lost KAT and didn't miss a beat, in part because Reid stepped up.  And I don't care to play the "yeah but he technically did that as a starter" game. 

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 04:09:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Al Horford is one of those guys that always seems to be underappreciated.  Very good defensive rebounder and good defender overall.  Doesn't score at much of a volume but doesn't take a bunch of shots.  Of his 6.4 FGA per game (8th on the team), 4.0 of them are 3PA (also 8th).  This limits his chance at offensive rebounds (1.3 per game) and drawing fouls (0.5 FTA per game).  Low turnovers (0.7 per game).

None of his "box score" stats are sexy enough for him to get any serious consideration for 6MoY but he is still a very impactful player.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2024, 02:22:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I have been super impressed by Naz Reid this year. His development has allowed Minnesota to play twin bigs at all times.

His outside shooting is strong. He is hitting 41% of his 3s on 5 attempts per game in only 24 minutes. So prolific and accurate. That is about 7.5 threes per 36. So he is a high volume three point shooter.

That is about the same as Kyrie Irving or Eric Gordon on a per minute basis. Pritchard for us. Tatum takes 8 per 36. Hauser a beast at 9.6 3PTA per 36. But for a big man to be giving you that high voume is special. Naz Reid is the highest ranked big man for 3s per 36. Aldama is second and Wemby 3rd both just under 7 per 36.

And it is not just the threes. It is his ball-handling. His ability to attack close attacks and drive into the paint. That has been super impressive to me. Usually big men are just spot up shooters but Naz Reid has been so dynamic on the perimeter. That has helped him be so consistent and prolific again with 13.5ppg in only 24mpg. That is 20pts per 36.

He is a two way player. He provides solid rebounding. He averages 5.2rpg in 24mpg or 7.8 per 36. He plays good defense. He is a versatile defender. He can step out and defender on the perimeter while also providing some size & rim protection in the paint.

Naz Reid has had a fantastic year. He has been major weapon for Minnesota. He has been a big key to their twin tower's functionality / ability to impose it for 48 minutes a game. Many games his scoring bails out their offense. He is probably their 3rd best scorer after Ant and Towns. McDaniels hasn't stepped up. Conley is old. Gobert only a dunker. Naz Reid is their 3rd guy when they need a bucket.

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2024, 02:26:26 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Al Horford is one of those guys that always seems to be underappreciated.  Very good defensive rebounder and good defender overall.  Doesn't score at much of a volume but doesn't take a bunch of shots.  Of his 6.4 FGA per game (8th on the team), 4.0 of them are 3PA (also 8th).  This limits his chance at offensive rebounds (1.3 per game) and drawing fouls (0.5 FTA per game).  Low turnovers (0.7 per game).

None of his "box score" stats are sexy enough for him to get any serious consideration for 6MoY but he is still a very impactful player.

But winning is the sexist thing.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2024, 06:05:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

But winning is the sexist thing.

I completely agree, but the trend seems to be the other way.  People are arguing that Tatum should be 5th or lower in the MVP, due to less sexy stats than some others, and in spite of much more winning than all the others.

I would not have Horford as 6MoY or Tatum as MVP, but I seem to have them higher than many others.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2024, 09:22:05 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Horford might be ineligible for 6th man. He played 65 games and started 33 of them. I think the rule is your have to come off the bench more games than you start to be eligible for 6th man.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008