Author Topic: David Aldridge: Butler trade is very real but stuck- Ainge won't include Crowder  (Read 29368 times)

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I know it's unfair to extrapolate from one lousy game, but I am happy we did not trade for Butler and hope that remains the case this off season. Just not a fan of his game. I credit him for being a hard working over achiever, but struggles to create his own shot, average athleticism for an NBA player, and kind of boring.

This Bulls team is completely out of sync. Watching it, I realized that for Butler to average as many points as he does is pretty amazing. There is zero spacing on that team. If we landed him, I think it's a guarantee people will love him. Boston always loves hard workers who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty, like Smart, Crowder, Perk, KG, pre-diva Rondo, etc. Butler fits that mold.

(Sidenote: how is Butler "average athleticism"?)
- LilRip

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
What exactly are the Bulls trying to do--?

Super lame mix of players on their team right now---Butler and Wade must be furious.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Super lame mix of players on their team right now---Butler and Wade must be furious.
Wade is probably p---ed, but he's cooked. He is more part of the problem than the solution for them right now
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

https://www.facebook.com/thebuzz.nba/videos/1338268072947299/

Or they could be furious at wade for pulling crap like this.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
I know it's unfair to extrapolate from one lousy game, but I am happy we did not trade for Butler and hope that remains the case this off season. Just not a fan of his game. I credit him for being a hard working over achiever, but struggles to create his own shot, average athleticism for an NBA player, and kind of boring.

He's not particularly quick in the open court compared to gifted athletes like Jaylen for example. Still a good athlete but not extraordinary. Very few of his baskets come off the back of athleticism.

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
When Danny "steals" Butler for less than what was reportedly offered, there's going to be a tune change around here (like there has been with pretty much everything).

When that #1-4 pick turns into Fultz/Ball/Jackson (between the night of draft lottery selection and the draft), meanwhile they're receiving one of the last picks in the lottery, they're going to accept the pick, non-BKN, and salary filler for Butler or not and we land George or keep the pick. I think a trade is going to be contingent on how strong the backroom assurances are that Hayward is coming. At that point, all chips will be on the table (not literally because he will be gotten for less than what's been reported).

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

He's not particularly quick in the open court compared to gifted athletes like Jaylen for example. Still a good athlete but not extraordinary. Very few of his baskets come off the back of athleticism.
He may not be extraordinary, but just calling him good sells him way short. He's a top tier athlete.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen

He may not be extraordinary, but just calling him good sells him way short. He's a top tier athlete.

There are just so many freaks in the NBA these days with special athletic attributes that Butler just doesn't shine through to me as a top tier guy from that standpoint. He doesn't have the legspeed to belong on that tier with the other superstars at his size/position.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

There are just so many freaks in the NBA these days with special athletic attributes that Butler just doesn't shine through to me as a top tier guy from that standpoint. He doesn't have the legspeed to belong on that tier with the other superstars at his size/position.

But like the great small forwards, he has gorilla like strength.
He's an above average athlete with elite NBA strength- like there is NBA strong, and then there is Lebron, Marcus Smart, Zac Randolph level strength at their positions.
At small forward it makes him elite because other guys his size may be as strong or as fast, but very rarely are they both.
What's even rarer is the fact that's both strong and fast, but can also handle the ball, shoot and has the ability to break players down off the dribble not just on straight line drives, but with a quick first step.
His gorilla strength gives him the ability to absorb contact and keep his balance where other players just don't have the strength to be able to get their shot off with a high % at going in.
Someone else who has really benefited from the weight room is Gordon Hayward.

IT is similar. He would be one of the strongest players in the NBA relative to position/size.
Absorb contact, keep going, get shot off.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:13:17 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Don't judge Butler by yesterday's game.  That team is demoralized and Butler has little to play for.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

But like the great small forwards, he has gorilla like strength.
He's an above average athlete with elite NBA strength- like there is NBA strong, and then there is Lebron, Marcus Smart, Zac Randolph level strength at their positions.
At small forward it makes him elite because other guys his size may be as strong or as fast, but very rarely are they both.
What's even rarer is the fact that's both strong and fast, but can also handle the ball, shoot and has the ability to break players down off the dribble not just on straight line drives, but with a quick first step.
His gorilla strength gives him the ability to absorb contact and keep his balance where other players just don't have the strength to be able to get their shot off with a high % at going in.
Someone else who has really benefited from the weight room is Gordon Hayward.

IT is similar. He would be one of the strongest players in the NBA relative to position/size.
Absorb contact, keep going, get shot off.
He gets 9 free throws a game. The only guy in the top 15 of free throws per game who i could imagine calling anything less than a top tier athlete would be James Harden.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Butler is an excellent athlete. Don't be fooled by yesterday, he's supposedly playing injured.

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
My concern with Butler is that he doesn't seem like a "natural" at scoring.

Some guys shoot and drive so effortlessly, the basket just looks big to them.

Butler is more of a physical player. He can score, but he has to work at it.

He'd be a terrific complementary player to an elite scorer or two, but he can't be the guy carrying the load for us on that end.

He might fit well with IT for this reason - he's good enough to draw defenses but doesn't need to be a sniper - but I don't know if that combo is good enough for a championship, we'd need at least one more star after that.

Ainge might want to keep Crowder in a trade for a second star. If we give up too much for Butler that might hose us in out pursuit of that final piece.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

You stated it much better than I. Thank you. TP.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Butler is more of a physical player. He can score, but he has to work at it.

So did Larry...

Ainge might want to keep Crowder in a trade for a second star. If we give up too much for Butler that might hose us in out pursuit of that final piece.

A lot will depend on who we draft and how well Brown develops.   Crowder to some degree is a great glue guy.