Author Topic: Home/Road Splits are crazy across the league  (Read 1183 times)

Home/Road Splits are crazy across the league
« on: March 05, 2019, 06:32:46 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I have no idea what past years are, but it just looks like to me that virtually everyone is terrible on the road.  In the East only the Bucks, Raptors, Pacers, and Sixers are above .500 and no one is at .500 (the C's are 6th best as the Heat are 1 win better than the C's on the road).  Maybe that is just an East thing, nope.  Out West only the Warriors, Thunder, and Clippers are above .500 while the Nuggets and Rockets are exactly .500.  There are still 11 teams that haven't yet lost 10 home games (those 11 all have at least 22 wins so a huge win percentage).  The Spurs have the largest discrepancy as they are 25-7 at home and 11-22 on the road.  In addition, 4 other teams have at least 10 home losses but all have at least 10 more home wins then home losses (C's, Jazz, Timberwolves, and Mavericks).  So half the league is at least 10 wins better at home (I realize that is 5 games switched but that is a lot).  The Heat, Bulls, and Knicks are the only 3 teams that have been better on the road than at home and they are obviously very close to that not being the case.

Again I haven't looked at years past, but that seems like some pretty crazy splits.  So it appears that the C's road troubles are just the normal thing this year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Home/Road Splits are crazy across the league
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 06:37:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Weird. I was just looking at this this morning, and wondering if it was worthy of a post. I think it was the Wizards that got me looking (from memory: 18-12 home, 8-25 away).

I’m concerned that Moranis and I are plugged into the same wavelength.  ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 08:36:15 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Weird. I was just looking at this this morning, and wondering if it was worthy of a post. I think it was the Wizards that got me looking (from memory: 18-12 home, 8-25 away).

I’m concerned that Moranis and I are plugged into the same wavelength.  ;)
ha ha.  I know a lot has been made of the C's road struggles, but if it is everyone are the C's really struggling on the road? 

I guess that is the question, is everyone just really good at home or just really bad on the road?  I'm not sure, perhaps the new schedule tweaks have made home court actually matter more.  Either way, it is not a good sign for the playoffs as it doesn't look like Boston is going to end up with home court in any series.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 09:42:10 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
The bigger more important question is whether or not this carries over the the playoffs (usually it does, especially in close out games).  The Celtics are not likely to have a whole lot of home court advantage in the playoffs.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 09:50:23 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Last season there were 5 teams in the East and 5 teams in the West above .500 on the road.  Of those, 4 were at 21-20.   The previous season there were 2 in the East and 5 in the West. 

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 10:01:30 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Last season there were 5 teams in the East and 5 teams in the West above .500 on the road.  Of those, 4 were at 21-20.   The previous season there were 2 in the East and 5 in the West.
Thanks.  I guess it has been that way and I just never noticed.  It just really stood out to me how many teams still had single digit home losses when I was looking at the standings.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 10:20:46 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This is a very good observation.

Perhaps with so many teams dependent on 3 point shooting as a core component of their offense, the emotional lift the home crowd gives to the confidence level of the 3 point shooters is at least a partial explanation for this phenomenon.