Author Topic: Durant: Celtics will be fine in playoffs  (Read 5285 times)

Re: Durant: Celtics will be fine in playoffs
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 03:46:34 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Can someone show/explain to me what exactly a possible Durant S&T in the summer would look like? (Framework of the whole hypothetical trade + salary implications)

Not asking if you'd do it or if you like it, just want to know how it all works out for both sides and what goes/comes.

It would involve either an opted in Horford or most likely Hayward and something.

For example Durant say he wants out, he would have to opt in for the 1 year and then say he wants only Boston or he walks, this allows Boston to trade Hayward and something for Durant.

The minimum Boston would have to send out is something like 26 or so million (Durants 31.5 mill final season)

So Hayward, Brown, Pick for Durant and 1.5 mill in salary

Could toss Tatum into the mix as well (although if getting Durant I would want team to push 100% into a davis trade)

So Hayward, Brown, Williams for Durant and Jones

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 04:09:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Can someone show/explain to me what exactly a possible Durant S&T in the summer would look like? (Framework of the whole hypothetical trade + salary implications)

Not asking if you'd do it or if you like it, just want to know how it all works out for both sides and what goes/comes.

It would involve either an opted in Horford or most likely Hayward and something.

For example Durant say he wants out, he would have to opt in for the 1 year and then say he wants only Boston or he walks, this allows Boston to trade Hayward and something for Durant.

The minimum Boston would have to send out is something like 26 or so million (Durants 31.5 mill final season)

Could toss Tatum into the mix as well (although if getting Durant I would want team to push 100% into a davis trade)

Oh ok, TP for that breakdown!  :)

I still don't know if I consider it. But the chances of it are probably super low anyways (1%). My hope is, we keep Kyrie, add an MLE big (to add to Baynes/Horford/Timelord front court), re-structure Horford's deal a bit and add with the Kings Pick and Grizzlies Pick (the latter in 2020 or 2021).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 04:16:11 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I still don't know if I consider it. But the chances of it are probably super low anyways (1%). My hope is, we keep Kyrie, add an MLE big (to add to Baynes/Horford/Timelord front court), re-structure Horford's deal a bit and add with the Kings Pick and Grizzlies Pick (the latter in 2020 or 2021).

For the Celtics to acquire Durant in a trade, they are allowed to acquire a minimum of 125 percent plus $100,000 of what they send out in salary. Durant will make $31,500,000 next season, so the minimum the Celtics would have to send out is $25,200,000. The same rule goes for the Warriors since both teams are over the salary cap.

Something like this would be in the frameworks:

Warriors receive: Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown, Robert Williams, 2020 MEM first round pick, 2020 Celtics first round pick
Celtics receive: Kevin Durant, Damian Jones
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 04:18:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

For the Celtics to acquire Durant in a trade, they are allowed to acquire a minimum of 125 percent plus $100,000 of what they send out in salary. Durant will make $31,500,000 next season, so the minimum the Celtics would have to send out is $25,200,000. The same rule goes for the Warriors since both teams are over the salary cap.

Warriors receive: Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown, Robert Williams, 2020 MEM first round pick, 2020 Celtics first round pick

Grizzlies pick too?  :o

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 04:24:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

That was just like a hypothetical trade scenario.

I would assume that giving up Brown would mean we would only need to add our first rounder, and maybe a few second rounders as sweeteners.

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

I would assume that giving up Brown would mean we would only need to add our first rounder, and maybe a few second rounders as sweeteners.

Why would we have to sweeten it if KD has specifically wanted Boston as atrade destination for example?
Wouldn't GS have no say in what KD would do because its an opt in with the intention of being traded otherwise he opts out and GS ends up with nothing.

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 04:33:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If I remember right doing a sign and trade would mean the Celtics would be hard-capped at around $133 million and would literally need to shed salary to get under the hard cap as Durant's and Kyrie's deals would put as over that. It also means the Celtics lose their Taxpayer MLE ability.

It would also seriously hamper Ainge's being able to add bodies to that team.

If Durant really wants to come here he would be best served opting into his last year and have GSW trade him to Boston at the $31.5 million figure he would get for that year. It would cost him many millions but he would be where he wanted to be.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 04:56:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Why would we have to sweeten it if KD has specifically wanted Boston as atrade destination for example?
Wouldn't GS have no say in what KD would do because its an opt in with the intention of being traded otherwise he opts out and GS ends up with nothing.

Why would GSW help BOS create a super team? Has to be some incentive at least.

If I remember right doing a sign and trade would mean the Celtics would be hard-capped at around $133 million and would literally need to shed salary to get under the hard cap as Durant's and Kyrie's deals would put as over that. It also means the Celtics lose their Taxpayer MLE ability.

If Durant really wants to come here he would be best served opting into his last year and have GSW trade him to Boston at the $31.5 million figure he would get for that year. It would cost him many millions but he would be where he wanted to be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he would need to wait 30 days right after being newly signed? I don't know and imagine how KD will be treated by everyone the moment he's with GSW until the trade gets finalized.

Either way this is all speculation and has like 0.001% chance of happening.

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 05:18:37 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

This has been discussed in other threads and opinions vary but the reason for GS doing it would be to get Hayward, two years removed from his injury, instead of losing Durant for nothing and not having any way of replacing him. Maybe they're confident enough in their core that they don't mind sending KD to Boston.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 05:18:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he would need to wait 30 days right after being newly signed? I don't know and imagine how KD will be treated by everyone the moment he's with GSW until the trade gets finalized.

Not sure what you are asking here? Wait 30 days for what? In a sign and trade everything happens immediately. If he opts in, he does that in June and is available to trade at any time that summer because he didn't actually sign anything, he just opted into the last year of an existing contract.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Not sure what you are asking here? Wait 30 days for what? In a sign and trade everything happens immediately. If he opts in, he does that in June and is available to trade at any time that summer because he didn't actually sign anything, he just opted into the last year of an existing contract.

Yeah I forgot opt in is at June, ignore my previous comment lol.

This has been discussed in other threads and opinions vary but the reason for GS doing it would be to get Hayward, two years removed from his injury, instead of losing Durant for nothing and not having any way of replacing him. Maybe they're confident enough in their core that they don't mind sending KD to Boston.

I don't know how you can justify Hayward for KD straight up... They aren't going to pay Hayward for 30 million for another year given how he is right now... That's why I mentioned Brown would probably have to be added in.

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 06:26:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

To "match" Durant's salary in a trade, we'd have to ship out about 25M. Then if some folks also want Davis after that, still have to ship out about 21M. Yeah this whole thing sounds way too complicated (even moreso than trying to come up with an AD trade while keeping Brown AND Smart). What journalist(s) besides Jackie Mac (back in late-2018) and Ryan Bernardoni (@dangercart) have discussed this as a possibility and that Durant's interested?

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 07:50:03 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Brian Windhorst actually talked about this today on ESPN, at the 5:08 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RjtIxdHYls

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 07:54:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

To "match" Durant's salary in a trade, we'd have to ship out about 25M. Then if some folks also want Davis after that, still have to ship out about 21M. Yeah this whole thing sounds way too complicated (even moreso than trying to come up with an AD trade while keeping Brown AND Smart). What journalist(s) besides Jackie Mac (back in late-2018) and Ryan Bernardoni (@dangercart) have discussed this as a possibility and that Durant's interested?

Imagine if Ainge pulled off something like a trade for Anthony Davis and then sent him to Golden State for Durant (who would opt in to his player option)

So it would essentially be a 3 team deal

Pelicans get Tatum, Smart and picks.
Warriors get Davis
Celts get Durant

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 07:55:46 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Imagine if Ainge pulled off something like a trade for Anthony Davis and then sent him to Golden State for Durant?

So it would essentially be a 3 team deal

Pelicans get Tatum, Smart and picks.
Warriors get Davis
Celts get Durant.

That would be stupid lol.. why would we ever do that.