Author Topic: Bulls are proving the value of a balanced roster  (Read 1621 times)

Bulls are proving the value of a balanced roster
« on: March 02, 2019, 10:25:46 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
In possibly the most unlikely turn around in years and at the risk of overreacting to a small sample size, the Chicago Bulls are seeming more and more like they've turned the corner.

Zach LaVine is a 90% percentile athlete in the NBA with excellent shooting mechanics.

Lauri Markkanen is spacing the floor and rebounding at a ridiculously high rate playing next to Robin Lopez. Granted a lot of these rebounds come from Lopez boxing out his man and allowing Lauri to go get it but it's still impressive.

The real key however seems to be the balancing effect of Otto Porter. The Bulls did a fine job filling out their roster with shot creation and because of this, throwing Otto Porter's off-ball, floor spacing game into the middle of everything seems to have unlocked their potential more than most could have predicted.

This is going to be a crucial draft in their rebuild especially if they start sliding up in the tank standings. They already have a potential franchise big in Wendell Carter jr. so coming away with one more explosive guard or talented wing and these folks could become a real problem for the Eastern Conference.

Good for Chicago to build the right way. They have hit on some draft picks, were aggressive in the trade market, sold on Jimmy Butler at the right time, and bet on a distressed asset in Otto Porter. Unless they have a stark turnaround I think they will not be far off the top 5 Eastern Conference teams.

See you in the 2020 playoffs.

Re: Bulls are proving the value of a balanced roster
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Getting Markkanen back was huge for them.  Likewise for getting Portis out of there.

I'm not sold on Carter becoming a franchise guy but things certainly seem less dire for the Bulls than they did two months ago.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 10:33:07 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Lavine is more like 99 percentile of NBA athleticism. He can ball, just does boneheaded things sometimes.

Markannen is really filling out strength wise, and such a nice stroke, could be Dirk 2.0.

I think the Bulls are going to be good again starting next year. Wonder who their coach will be?

This is a reason to take pause on the Anthony Davis trade, particularly if he turns into a one year rental. I’d say the vast majority on this board thought Bulls got fleeced on that trade.

Think Markannen and Lavine have better future than Butler, or Saric and Covington?  Trades are funny.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 12:03:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Lauri Markkanen developing into a franchise cornerstone, and the trade for Otto, have really changed the Bulls fortunes in a hurry.

Good for Chicago to build the right way.

But what the heck does this even mean?  There is no such thing as 'the right way' to build a team, other than whatever yields results.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 12:48:37 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Both Bulls and The Hawks will be improved next Yr.

They won't be the whipping boys of the East anymore. And are sending a message that the league is going to be in good hands with these young lings developing their game.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 02:09:00 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Lauri Markkanen developing into a franchise cornerstone, and the trade for Otto, have really changed the Bulls fortunes in a hurry.

Would be interesting to see where Markkanen would go in a redraft.  I think I would take him over Mitchell, who is developing into an inefficient volume scorer.  I'm a little too biased to make a good assessment of Markkanen vs. Tatum.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Would be interesting to see where Markkanen would go in a redraft.  I think I would take him over Mitchell, who is developing into an inefficient volume scorer.  I'm a little too biased to make a good assessment of Markkanen vs. Tatum.

Yeah to be honest, I was never that high on Mitchell. I think he's a little overrated, but I do think he's also the main offensive focal point on that team. Other than Ingles, Gobert, and Rubio, who else is really scoring on that team?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 02:33:10 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Kris Dunn who many of us wanted to draft is averaging 11 and 6 on the season.  Not too shabby. 

If they land at least a top 4 pick it could be another cornerstone player.  Things are starting to look more promising for them.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 02:54:53 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Beating Atlanta (in 4 OT), Memphis twice (one by 2 points), Orlando (by 1 point) and us constitutes a turn around?  Holy over reaction.  The Bulls are still a bad team and they will be again next season. 

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 02:57:18 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think we're weighing too heavily a small sample size.  They still have fourth worst record in the league.  Atlanta Hawks have a better record than them.  This recent 6-3 run they are on contain only two wins against playoff teams, one being Brooklyn and another being the Celtics amidst a 5 game slide.  Which is fine, it's good even.  And I agree they are on a track of improvement.  But I don't feel like I see strong evidence that this team will be a top 5 team in the East next year. 
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 03:02:54 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Beating Atlanta (in 4 OT), Memphis twice (one by 2 points), Orlando (by 1 point) and us constitutes a turn around?  Holy over reaction.  The Bulls are still a bad team and they will be again next season.

6-3 since the Porter trade.  I don't think people are claiming to call them world beaters by any means but if you look at where they were at two months ago in the waning days after Hoiberg was fired, this Bulls team is in a much better place.   And, the Porter trade has certainly helped them in addition to getting Lauri back.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:32:22 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 03:31:44 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Just want to clarify a few details of how I see it.

-The Bulls are not as bad as their record. Imagine if Tatum was injured for the first half of their season. We would be able to withstand the blow but most teams cant. Lauri Markanen returning is allows them to play at their peak which would account for many of their losses.

Look at Jokic, Vucevic, Nurkic, Doncic, Mirotic, Marc Gasol the league has had a run of talented shot creating Euro bigs on successful franchises. Markanen is huge for them.

- I use 'Franchise Player' differently than it's typically meant. Could Carter Jr become a the opposite starting big to Markanen, a key spot in the rotation that you don't have to touch for the next 5 years? That is a franchise guy to me. I don't reserve that term for the Towns, Embiids, and AD's of the world.

Although I admit he could top out at a Marcus Morris type level which wouldn't be the worst career but not franchise even by my lower standards.

- I stand by the notion that they will be a playoff team next season but their absolute ceiling will be directly tied to who they manage to pick up in the 2019 draft. Zion, Barrett, Morant, Culver or Hunter would be strong additions to an already decent core.

Falling to the Jaxon Hayes - Romeo Langford tier and I don't feel nearly as confident in their peak potential.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 04:02:29 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Just want to clarify a few details of how I see it.

-The Bulls are not as bad as their record. Imagine if Tatum was injured for the first half of their season. We would be able to withstand the blow but most teams cant. Lauri Markanen returning is allows them to play at their peak which would account for many of their losses.

Look at Jokic, Vucevic, Nurkic, Doncic, Mirotic, Marc Gasol the league has had a run of talented shot creating Euro bigs on successful franchises. Markanen is huge for them.

- I use 'Franchise Player' differently than it's typically meant. Could Carter Jr become a the opposite starting big to Markanen, a key spot in the rotation that you don't have to touch for the next 5 years? That is a franchise guy to me. I don't reserve that term for the Towns, Embiids, and AD's of the world.

Although I admit he could top out at a Marcus Morris type level which wouldn't be the worst career but not franchise even by my lower standards.

- I stand by the notion that they will be a playoff team next season but their absolute ceiling will be directly tied to who they manage to pick up in the 2019 draft. Zion, Barrett, Morant, Culver or Hunter would be strong additions to an already decent core.

Falling to the Jaxon Hayes - Romeo Langford tier and I don't feel nearly as confident in their peak potential.

I understand what you mean but I think core player of their team going forward is a better term.

I can see the formation of a very nice core complementing their skills going forward.

Carter Jr -nice defensive presence
Lauri - very good offensive player
Porter- steadying presense on both sides of the ball
Lavine- very good offensive player
Dunn- could be part of their core too
High draft pick this year.

They having some solid young talent going for them to build on.