Author Topic: Bulls/Hawks game goes to 4OT, ends score 168-161 3rd highest total score ever  (Read 2387 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401071601

Lauri Markkanen made three free throws to give Chicago the lead for good late in the fourth overtime, and the Bulls overcame Trae Young's career-high 49 points to beat the Atlanta Hawks 168-161 in the third-highest-scoring game in NBA history.

The 329 combined points trailed only the 370 scored by the Pistons and Nuggets in triple overtime in December 1983 and the 337 from the Bucks and Spurs in March 1982

Markkanen finished with 31 points and 17 rebounds. He snapped a 159-all tie by making the three free throws after he was fouled by Alex Len.

"I've never been a part of a game that long," said Bulls guard Zach Lavine, who finished with a career-high 47 points. "I air-balled one because I was so [dang] tired."

Young, the rookie who played almost 56 minutes, had his third straight game of setting or matching his career scoring high after back-to-back games with 36 points. He added 16 assists, eight rebounds and nine turnovers.

According to Elias, Young is the first rookie with 120 points in a three-game span since Allen Iverson in April 1997.

His stat line tonight also put Young in a rare class. He's one of four players in NBA history to have put up at least 45 points, 10 assists and five rebounds in a game as a rookie. He also became the first rookie to have a 45-point, 10-assist game since Michael Jordan did it on Jan. 26, 1985.

However, it was the Hawks' oldest player, Vince Carter, who logged the second most minutes on the team. At 42, Carter is the oldest player in NBA history to play at least 45 minutes in a game.

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Our play of late has been so bad and terrible I betcha we don't win against the Hawks.

Talk about two tanking teams giving it their all... Well at least both teams are in the record books.

Man the brittle bones of Vince Carter still giving it his all at age 42 scoring 14 points where our max man Gordon Hayward at age 28 could hardly score 4...🤧

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
That was insane...players playing 55+ minutes. They're going to be tired tonight.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
However, it was the Hawks' oldest player, Vince Carter, who logged the second most minutes on the team. At 42, Carter is the oldest player in NBA history to play at least 45 minutes in a game.

Good for him.

I still take Doncic over Young.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Good for him.

Without even a nanosecond of hesitation at that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Good for him.

Without even a nanosecond of hesitation at that
sure, but they also got a future 1st and who knows what that ends up.  If that is a top 5 pick, this becomes a lot closer, especially as Young has gotten a lot better and Doncic hasn't as the season has worn on (Doncic has improved but not nearly at the rate of Young).  The reality is Doncic was prepared and ready to play from day 1, but his growth curve isn't going to be as high as many of the other rookies.  3 years from now, it will be interesting to see how Doncic compares to the rest of the top 5 from that class, and that is about the time that the Hawks are going to end up with that future 1st round pick.  It is then that the trade can fully be judged.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Sseeesh even when he has an historic night, Trae gets no respect. :D I’m rooting for him personally, i felt that people were judging him too harshly due to the Hawks trading Donnic for him.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Offensively Trae is going to be elite. Defensively is where you have to be concerned. He is small and slight.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Sseeesh even when he has an historic night, Trae gets no respect. :D I’m rooting for him personally, i felt that people were judging him too harshly due to the Hawks trading Donnic for him.

I agree, Rondo. If he had started out the season like this and slumped in January or February, the narrative would be different

The reverse of the rookie wall

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I didn't think Trae would be anything in the NBA.  He isn't just short, he's thin as a rail.  I figured he'd get bullied.

But size and physicality clearly no longer matter for ball-handlers, so long as they have superior skill (dribbling and shooting).

So, while I somewhat lament what the NBA has become, good for Trae quickly proving his doubters (myself included) wrong.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Always think it's interesting that the highest scoring game in league history (370 total pts) was like 35 years ago, and despite huge spikes in scoring no one's ever come within 35 pts of it. It's just such an outlier.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Always think it's interesting that the highest scoring game in league history (370 total pts) was like 35 years ago, and despite huge spikes in scoring no one's ever come within 35 pts of it. It's just such an outlier.

Most of the NBA's highest scoring games came in the early 80's.  And most of them involved Denver.  It was a weird era.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Most of the NBA's highest scoring games came in the early 80's.  And most of them involved Denver.  It was a weird era.

Dougie Moe run 'n gun.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Trae young got tossed with a second T for nailing a 3 and staring at Dunn.
First T was weak double T stuff too Lol

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Trae young got tossed with a second T for nailing a 3 and staring at Dunn.
First T was weak double T stuff too Lol

How can you get T'd for staring at someone? I remember back when Shaun Kemp would dunk on people and point his index fingers at them like a gunslinger while they sprawled on the floor haplessly. Or Jordan's staredown on Ewing after posterizing him back in 91.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D