Author Topic: Is Lebron on lakers like mj on wizards?  (Read 3241 times)

Is Lebron on lakers like mj on wizards?
« on: February 28, 2019, 12:15:50 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Saw this on realgm and thought it was an interesting comparison. Lakers could still make playoffs, but really look like long shots. Second best players for each were rip Hamilton and Brandon Ingram? Both still were putting up good numbers. Obviously Lebron has better numbers by a bit on offense, but without looking I would guess scoring is a lot higher now than during those mj years. May be more similar than one would think. What do you all think?

Re: Is Lebron on lakers like mj on wizards?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 02:21:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's less of a shell of his former self than Washington MJ was, but it's an interesting comparison. I don't think I ever saw MJ play such shocking defence though.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 03:18:11 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Interesting comparison 

I wonder when we will see lebron truly hit "the wall"

Where he will have trouble creating offense or hitting shots or getting to the hole. He's already letting go of his defense

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 03:55:05 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Tough to know if it’s a proper comparison. MJ was pushing 39 when he returned, while LeBron was closing in on 34 when he joined the Lakers.

I know LeBron has more mileage given Jordan missed just shy of 5 seasons due to retirements and nearly another full season due to injury, but age is age. He just didn’t move like he did in the 90’s, and I’m sure it’s already starting to happen to James, but he’s not the shell he was just yet.

Jordan wasn’t an elite player anymore, LeBron still is.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 03:59:00 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Tough to know if it’s a proper comparison. MJ was pushing 39 when he returned, while LeBron was closing in on 34 when he joined the Lakers.

I know LeBron has more mileage given Jordan missed just shy of 5 seasons due to retirements and nearly another full season due to injury, but age is age. He just didn’t move like he did in the 90’s, and I’m sure it’s already starting to happen to James, but he’s not the shell he was just yet.

Jordan wasn’t an elite player anymore, LeBron still is.
This sums it up. TP.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 06:18:16 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It probably matters a great deal what the Lakers do this summer as I do think Lebron has more in the tank than Jordan did, but Lebron clearly needs some help to really be truly effective.  Lebron quite frankly needs to coast at his age, but the Lakers roster doesn't really let him so his age is glaringly apparent.  If the Lakers end up with more top end help, then I think you will see Lebron's minutes drop and his efficiency rise a great deal.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 06:20:11 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Jordan was never really healthy during his time with the Wizards.  I wish we got to see what he could have done if healthy.  He started off with a cracked rib and then his knee kept filling with fluid.  I do see some similarities though, despite Jordan being much older and more injured.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 06:59:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Jordan never wrecked teams by throwing his team mates under the bus and wanting to trade half the team.   He wanted to beat people straight up not stack teams like LeBroid.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 08:06:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Jordan never wrecked teams by throwing his team mates under the bus and wanting to trade half the team.   He wanted to beat people straight up not stack teams like LeBroid.

THiS   ^......Lebron and his agentare pirates raiding the Lakers for 140M .

Lebron does nothing ever for free or fun.   

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 08:18:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Is this a serious post?  I can't tell.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 04:25:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I feel like Jordan did throw his teammates under the bus sometimes. Although it was a different media age then without things dissected as much. I do think there is some validity to saying Jordan didn't join with his chief competitors like Lebron did. Jordan would have had to have joined up with Barkley, Ewing, Thomas, Bird or Magic to be similar to Lebron joining with Wade (and to a lesser extent bosh, who has become underrated over time).

To the topic at hand, I have been surprised how much Lebron has showed his age this year. Him breaking his hand feels like it was a turning point in his career.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 04:34:03 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I feel like Jordan did throw his teammates under the bus sometimes. Although it was a different media age then without things dissected as much. I do think there is some validity to saying Jordan didn't join with his chief competitors like Lebron did. Jordan would have had to have joined up with Barkley, Ewing, Thomas, Bird or Magic to be similar to Lebron joining with Wade (and to a lesser extent bosh, who has become underrated over time).

To the topic at hand, I have been surprised how much Lebron has showed his age this year. Him breaking his hand feels like it was a turning point in his career.

Jordan definitely would have been looked at differently if he played in today's media climate.  He was insulated from a lot of more salacious details about his career.

Jordan fought teammates, talked crap about most of them, gambled, messed around with women, and generally was an arrogant SOB.  But the media kept it as quiet as possible because it was good for the league, and therefore good for them.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 05:09:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
i laugh at the brainless LA fans ,  " we landed James". ....no ....he landed LA .  Was looking for the biggest haul in overall money and a FO dumb enough to go along with his circus let him play GM , Coach and chief pointy head of everything. 

THe HENS welcomed the FOX into the henhouse.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 05:25:32 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I bet my friend 50 bucks before year started that Lakers would finish 7th place or lower..he said i was crazy..think i won this bet!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 06:57:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
LeBron is a loser so I don't think you can compare the two.