Author Topic: Haralabos Voulgaris talks current NBA  (Read 1638 times)

Haralabos Voulgaris talks current NBA
« on: October 16, 2017, 10:36:40 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
On the Ringer NBA Podcast, Bill Simmons talked to his friend Haralabos Voulgaris about his thoughts on the NBA upcoming season and the state of the current NBA. If you haven't heard of Haralabos, he is one of the biggest sports gamblers in the world and made a fortune from the NBA and he's extremely knowledgeable.

Haralabos' thoughts:

- Houston's new back court should work, especially staggering Paul and Harden's minutes, also interesting how Houston functions with Chis Paul as he's more a half court player

- He thinks George and Westbrook is a perfect combo but thinks Carmelo may actually be a negative impact

- He's never been huge fan of Kyrie Irving given his terrible defence and analytics about him on/off the floor but thinks it was difficult for him to function next to Lebron also believes Irving should be a much better defender.

- Thinks Crowder will be a big loss for Boston.

- Haralabos thinks Lebron is going to leaving Cleveland

- He loves Lonzo Ball and thinks he's the best player from the draft and compares him more to Steve Nash and Wayne Gretzky-esk vision. Doesn't think Ingram is going to be great.

- Thinks that Dennis Smith Jr. is the biggest steal

- He loves Brad Stevens and thinks he's a coaching genius

- Never liked Durant personally, thinks him joining Warriors was a massive cop out

- He hates the narrative that Warriors management 'reinvented basketball'. Thinks they brag too much and believes there was massive luck involved in the current construct of their team and says Jerry West was actually a big influence in the rebuild.

- He thinks Warriors have destroyed the league and says no team is only 'a piece away' from challenging them.

- Still thinks the Golden State Warrior will destroy every team this season.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:44:15 PM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: Haralabos Voulgaris talks current NBA
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 11:24:09 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'm a fan of his but I'll disagree about Crowder. 

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:03:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A "big loss" is a bit much.

I don't expect either Brown or Tatum to be as valuable this season as Crowder, but moving on from him to give development time to those high draft pick wings makes too much sense.

Also, Crowder is undersized for a wing.  So was Bradley.  Trading out Bradley and Crowder for Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Morris makes A HUGE difference in the aggregate height and length on the wing for the Celts.

What was a glaring weakness last year (nearly every player in the starting lineup against the Cavs was at a significant height and wingspan deficit) is now a strength.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 12:43:30 AM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Guy is a clown. He was on Simmons's podcast before the 2016 playoffs and claimed to have the secret formula for beating Golden State but would only reveal it if someone accomplished it. He did something similar on this podcast when he said he has a dark horse team but won't reveal it. Compelling content!

Maybe he's made a lot of money gambling on sports. He's probably a pretty intelligent person but he comes off as a bit sciolistic when he openly keeps his opinions to himself on a podcast where he's asked to give opinions.

He's basically Norm MacDonald on "Bible Challenge".
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/honor-system-game-show/2861287?snl=1

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 01:05:52 AM »

• Bill Walton
Guy is a clown. He was on Simmons's podcast before the 2016 playoffs and claimed to have the secret formula for beating Golden State but would only reveal it if someone accomplished it. He did something similar on this podcast when he said he has a dark horse team but won't reveal it. Compelling content!

Maybe he's made a lot of money gambling on sports. He's probably a pretty intelligent person but he comes off as a bit sciolistic when he openly keeps his opinions to himself on a podcast where he's asked to give opinions.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/honor-system-game-show/2861287?snl=1

He’s very arrogant, but you can’t fault his knowledge. The reason I’d say he doesn’t reveal certain things is because he would have millions on bets that could be affected if he talks about them, it’s very annoying but the only reason he comes on the podcast is as a personal favour to Simmons and not for any personal gain.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 01:39:20 AM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown

He’s very arrogant, but you can’t fault his knowledge. The reason I’d say he doesn’t reveal certain things is because he would have millions on bets that could be affected if he talks about them, it’s very annoying but the only reason he comes on the podcast is as a personal favour to Simmons and not for any personal gain.

I don't necessarily equate success in sports betting with the ability to have and share informed, knowledgeable commentary in an interesting way but it's fair to disagree with that. I don't think he offers much outside of several consensus opinions with a contrarian criticism thrown in here or there, and he conveniently remains mum when he teases a potentially unconventional stance. And you're right, his arrogance definitely colors my view of him.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 01:52:54 AM »

• Bill Walton

I don't necessarily equate success in sports betting with the ability to have and share informed, knowledgeable commentary in an interesting way but it's fair to disagree with that. I don't think he offers much outside of several consensus opinions with a contrarian criticism thrown in here or there, and he conveniently remains mum when he teases a potentially unconventional stance. And you're right, his arrogance definitely colors my view of him.

You make some very good points, I definitely think he’d be a jerk in person

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 01:54:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Laughed at his Lonzo thoughts
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 02:08:41 AM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
TP for starting the thread. I consume far too many regular NBA podcasts so I get a little critical when I hear a commentator, who Simmons seems to revere, seem disillusioned and not contributing as much as I would like him to.

Gotta love the Brad Stevens love.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:15:48 AM by jbp126 »

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 02:17:42 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I listened to the pod (4 total with him being the guest), H-Bob knows NBA (as well as many, he is not an NBA messiah by any means), he just isn't for this format. The podcasting is not just for someone knowledgeable of the NBA/topic. They have to be articulated, not cheap on words and should sound like they joyfully want to give the people some new info. Many of his answers are, "Yes.", "No."  Bob always sounds calculated, like he is looking behind his back at times, that makes him irritable and that it is not for my cup of tea in the podcasting.
He hasn't been on BS for some 17 months. Last time before GSW vs OKC G5 (amazing NBA moment/days at the time) and I am sure he thought OKC is winning that series and lost some cash there.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."