Author Topic: Identifying the next 'KG' and 'Ray'  (Read 10476 times)

Identifying the next 'KG' and 'Ray'
« on: April 24, 2014, 01:39:07 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
In looking for the next banner, I think we need to kind of gather and save our trade chips for a couple big pieces, then fill in the rest via middle-of-the-road veterans and the draft. I think we first off need a Big Time shooter to spread the floor and compliment our slasher (hoping that will be Rondo). and a well-developed athletic big man that can dominate the defensive end both in the pick and roll, and in the paint, while also contributing on the offensive end.

I like Kevin Love, but don't think he's the guy. I think your guy is Anthony Davis. He gives you the shot-blocking and rebounding, and has nice touch around rim.

Who is the shooter? Seems like there are a bunch to choose from, but if it were me, I think I'd think Bradley Beal.

I think both of these would take a lot of currency, and we need to remember that that the key to the last title is the fact that we STOLE Ray Allen. Is there a major piece we can steal this offseason?

Also, this is all assuming that Rondo is the guy we build around. I don't think he is. But that's another story.

Re: Identifying the next 'KG' and 'Ray'
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 01:46:52 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
In looking for the next banner, I think we need to kind of gather and save our trade chips for a couple big pieces, then fill in the rest via middle-of-the-road veterans and the draft. I think we first off need a Big Time shooter to spread the floor and compliment our slasher (hoping that will be Rondo). and a well-developed athletic big man that can dominate the defensive end both in the pick and roll, and in the paint, while also contributing on the offensive end.

I like Kevin Love, but don't think he's the guy. I think your guy is Anthony Davis. He gives you the shot-blocking and rebounding, and has nice touch around rim.

Who is the shooter? Seems like there are a bunch to choose from, but if it were me, I think I'd think Bradley Beal.

I think both of these would take a lot of currency, and we need to remember that that the key to the last title is the fact that we STOLE Ray Allen. Is there a major piece we can steal this offseason?

Also, this is all assuming that Rondo is the guy we build around. I don't think he is. But that's another story.

You may be looking at the next banner, but by the time you're done looking to try to acquire the two listed, they may have retired.

Pelicans aren't letting Davis go without all acquiring all the picks from every NBA team. Beal is also a superstar SG in the making... If we can convince the Wizards with like 3-4 draft picks, then maybe they'll budge, but that's tough.

I think the problem with looking for the next KG/Ray is that you may never see anyone like them.

I think a lineup of Rondo, Hayward, Green, Love and Asik may be feasible.

There will be plenty of floor spacing, and you have 3 players who can help spread the ball around on offense.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Stealing Ray Allen is all relative, though - we would have to find somebody who would take our #5 pick this year for an all-star type who can spread the floor. I am not sure how many people want to trade our first this year for a player with as much 'experience' as Ray had coming in. I'd love Beal, though.

As for Anthony Davis, I would give up the whole roster for his services and start completely from scratch. He might be the most desirable asset in the NBA today.

All and all, I like your two choices a lot, but I think we will have to wait about 10 years before they become attainable (like KG and Ray). If there were anyway to acquire those two while holding on to Rondo and say, KO (or Sully), I would about burst with excitement.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 01:49:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think it's impossible to identify who the next "KG" and "Ray" might be, at least in terms of making a similar pair of trades to make the Celtics an instant contender.   It's too hard to predict 4-5 years in the future which superstar players will be available, for whatever reason.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 02:19:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Maybe the next Celtics championship team will have that level of value split among three players rather than two.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 02:24:03 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
"I think a lineup of Rondo, Hayward, Green, Love and Asik may be feasible."

I like that lineup, and think it's a playoff team, but not a contender. Maybe that's where you start, then you turn Rondo/Love into a superstar, and Hayward/Green/Picks into another.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 02:26:10 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
We got Ray for nothing. That #5 pick was crap. Everyone knew it. We even kept Rondo. Ray was expendable bc Seattle just got Durant.

With KG we paid 100 cents on the dollar. Big Al was THE emerging post player in the league, picks, and a few good young prospects.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The "next Ray" is basically any Top 30 player who has been on multiple all-star teams.  Ray was already pretty old (32).  Right now comparable players are Chris Bosh and Tony Parker.  Something like that.

The "next KG" doesn't exist right now.  It would have to be a superstar 2-way player who consistently finishes #1 or #2 statistically in the league.  A dominant MVP-level player who unquestionably is a Top 5 talent in the league.   But also, someone who has toiled away on a terrible team for 12 years and has just inched past his prime.

Doesn't exist.  Love is a bad example, because he's 6 years younger than KG was at that point... and nowhere near as dominant and celebrated.

Impact-wise, you're talking about LeBron and Durant.  Those guys haven't been toiling away on terrible teams, though. 

If the Pelicans struggle to add talent next to Davis for the next decade,   Davis finally decides he wants out of New Orleans... he can be out "Next KG" in the year 2024. 

If OKC gets bounced in the first round of the playoffs for the next 4 years and then misses the playoffs in year 5 and year 6... 31 year old Kevin Durant would be comparable to KG when we got him. 

In terms of potential availability and star power, the closest you will find is 29 year old Melo.  He could be your poor man's 31 year old KG.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:44:52 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
All great points... but Would it take that long for Davis though? Not necessarily... Maybe they continue to lose and in a year or 2 says he will not re-sign. NO might be forced to take the best offer which could be Sully/KO/Bradley and 2 picks. Who knows.

As for Ray, you are pretty close to right, but his fit was important too. He was not only a Top 30 player, but a Deadeye shooter who could finish games.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 02:44:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
All great points... but Would it take that long for Davis though?
LeBron or Durant -- they are the only guys I see A.Davis being traded for.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
My overall point is we need to hold out for stars, not just decent talent. I think mediocre players get you mediocre teams. Trade every asset you can muster (which it seems we have a good amount) for the right players.

I am pretty sure that Jermaine O Neal refused to come here for basically the same package that it took to get KG. My how that changed things......

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 02:47:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
All great points... but Would it take that long for Davis though?
Yes. 

He's probably Top 5 player already and he's 21 years old.  These days, there is massive incentive for rookies to sign an extension with their original team.  When's the last time you saw a star bail on his team after his 4 year rookie contract?  It doesn't happen.  THere's a reason why Durant stuck around in OKC.  It's not until contract 3 that they become potentially available.  I think Davis is staying in NO for another 5-6 years minimum.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
The first-year magic with KG and RA was only possible because the team's big three players were highly-experienced 30yo vets.

But I think the C's are aiming for a younger core with their next run.

To me, that means they're likely to need a year of seasoning together before going for it all. That means taking a chance on RR and KL reupping without having won together is decidedly dicier.

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 02:51:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Durant is a free agent summer 2016.  If OKC is terrible for the next 2 years, maybe you have a shot of landing a KG-level impact player.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 03:03:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm considerably more interested in identifying the next Paul Pierce.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."