Author Topic: Why do we have different threads for the Cavs and Warriors?  (Read 11610 times)

Why do we have different threads for the Cavs and Warriors?
« on: November 02, 2016, 01:49:55 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
As Roy mentioned in the Cavs thread, we can discuss the purpose and motives and reasoning of those threads in the Comments and Remarks section of the forum. So...

Let me start off by quoting celticsclay, who i agree with, on this topic:

We have had other primary competitors over the years in the eastern conference. We have never dedicated season long thread to them. I was curious if we have other posters that also  find it a bit troubling. If we are not allowed to discuss that (in a polite constructive way) I won't say anything else about it.

The bolded is exactly how I feel. How come we need to have 1 thread dedicated to 1 team? Might as well give the Raptors a thread of their own. They're also a serious competitor and rival to us in the eastern conference. what's the threshold? what determines what team gets and doesnt get a thread of its own?

my point, of course, isnt that i believe we should have more threads for teams. quite the contrary! i believe having a thread "solely" for the cavs, and a thread "solely" for the warriors, makes absolutely no sense. The NBA thread is where we discuss the NBA. Having two or three threads prevents discussion between all members of the forum. not everyone will check each thread every day. no one's gonna look for these team specific threads either. hell, we have a "boogie watch" thread stickied, but this "Cavs thread" that's so important to Roy, isn't.

i believe that we don't need to separate out our NBA discussions because of the fact that two teams had historic seasons last year, so now they're special and deserve their own thread. the fact that the cavs have been our rival for a few years now is nothing new. suddenly now they deserve a thread of their own? makes no sense at all to me.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Re: Why do we have different threads for the Cavs and Warriors?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 03:41:48 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Thank you for making this thread and asking. To some degree I can understand having a warriors thread because they set the all times win record last year and then add a very recent mvp.the forum this summer had many many pages discussing durant and the Warriors and long after he had turned down the Celtics. I could certainly agree it alos isn't necessary.

The response you made is a legit issue that a few others pointed out. Our NBA season long threads do end up being hundreds of pages long by the end of the season, but they are also not at capacity by any stretch. Stretching out the comments across an official thread for each team is disruptive and confusing to figure out where the NBA talk is happening.

Finally, the Cavs are a great team, but they are in no way the most dominant or intriguing team of the last decade. I do think it makes us look like we have some sort of little brother complex to be having a thread dedicated to their season. They have the best player in the game but are really no better than our big 3, the recent Spurs championships teams, the Heat championship teams, arguably the recent warriors championship etc. I did describe it as embarrassing and I do believe that. If I was telling a fellow Celtics fan about this forum and how much I loved it and he asked why we had a cavs season thread I couldn't come up with a good answer. Does it bother anyone else? Please keep it constructive and explain why.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 04:19:58 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think there are dedicated threads for them because for all intents and purposes this is a two team league right now.  Barring something shocking and unexpected, those two teams are widely expected to be in the finals again.  This is reflected in the vegas odds.  Any other combo of teams (even cavs/spurs or Celtics/warriors) would be seen as a dramatic upset.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 04:21:32 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Cos of 3-1
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:11:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Might as well give the Raptors a thread of their own.

Feel free to. We have an entire forum to discuss the NBA, and if you find Toronto to be worthy of individual discussion, let your Raptors flag fly.

Having two or three threads prevents discussion between all members of the forum. not everyone will check each thread every day. no one's gonna look for these team specific threads either.

I don't understand this argument. By this logic, CelticsBlog would be better if it was one never-ending thread. Why not scrap the forum, and turn it into a one-shop Reddit thread?

Individual threads make discussion easier to find, not harder.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 07:39:14 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I think there should be two separate threads for asking individually about the Cavs thread and the Warriors thread. 
Yup

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 08:02:49 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I think there should be two separate threads for asking individually about the Cavs thread and the Warriors thread.
Well played sir. And a single, unified tp for you.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 08:50:07 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I seriously just LOLed at the two of you, clay and boston.  You guys are so worked up, as if you want the forum clean or something of unnecessary threads, and then MAKE A THREAD TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.  So funny.

Try getting out more.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 09:04:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Last year we had a couple of threads on the Sixers and Nets.  Is it only good teams that get separate threads that offends you?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Are you kidding me, the Nets are directly related to the Celtics. Heck there was more excitement about the Nets last year than the Celtics. So that is just a false equivalency argument to put the Nets in the mix.

I do not understand why we have Cleveland or GSW dedicated threads on a Celtic site

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 10:05:30 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Are you kidding me, the Nets are directly related to the Celtics. Heck there was more excitement about the Nets last year than the Celtics. So that is just a false equivalency argument to put the Nets in the mix.

I do not understand why we have Cleveland or GSW dedicated threads on a Celtic site

Because we also have an "Around the NBA" forum.  This site has always been centered on the Celtics but never been limited to just Celtics talk.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 11:21:38 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
I seriously just LOLed at the two of you, clay and boston.  You guys are so worked up, as if you want the forum clean or something of unnecessary threads, and then MAKE A THREAD TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.  So funny.

Try getting out more.

Yeah I made a thread about it, because when I try to voice my opinion in the cavs thread or the NBA thread my comments get removed. It's not funny at all. Roy said, if we wanna voice our opinion about it, we can make a thread here. Which is dumb, because I would like to not have my opinions removed from those threads in the first place. But this is the next best solution.

I get out plenty. I'm not worked up at all. I'm just having an honest discussion here because a mod keeps removing my opinion comments in the other threads.

But please, feel free to keep laughing.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 11:25:51 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I seriously doubt both threads, or either really, will persist all season long. Even the Nets thread last year had some ebb and flow and we had a huge vested interest in their season. 

Nobody's going to be eager to post about an 8 point Cleveland win over Milwaukee in February. The "problem" is self-correcting.

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 11:26:08 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

Feel free to. We have an entire forum to discuss the NBA, and if you find Toronto to be worthy of individual discussion, let your Raptors flag fly.

Having two or three threads prevents discussion between all members of the forum. not everyone will check each thread every day. no one's gonna look for these team specific threads either.

I don't understand this argument. By this logic, CelticsBlog would be better if it was one never-ending thread. Why not scrap the forum, and turn it into a one-shop Reddit thread?

But these 3 threads are about the SAME THING! A forum obviously should be divided into subforums and smaller groups. But that's for clearly different topics. Like, college basketball, and then Celtics talk. Trade rumors, and the nets pick. Off topic threads, and game threads. They're different topics. They're not related. Different threads are needed. This? This is just 3 threads about the same topic: the rest of the NBA.

And secondly, that sounds kinda hypocritical for you to tell me to have a raptors thread if I want, but you also go ahead and delete my comments in the NBA thread and the cavs/warriors threads because I find it worth of discussion to talk about whether we really need those threads.

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 11:33:07 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

But the 2 or 3 threads are about the SAME THING! A forum obviously should be divided into subforums and smaller groups. But that's for clearly different topics. Like, college basketball, and then Celtics talk. Trade rumors, and the nets pick. Off topic threads, and game threads. They're different topics. They're not related. Different threads are needed. This? This is just 3 threads about the same topic: the rest of the NBA.

And secondly, that sounds kinda hypocritical for you to tell me to have a raptors thread if I want, but you also go ahead and delete my comments in the NBA thread and the cavs/warriors threads because I find it worth of discussion to talk about whether we really need those threads.

My guess is that this talk was derailing those threads (posting rules do allow us to get threads back on topic) and the "comments & remarks" section is clearly made for situations like this.   I didn't move those comments but the reasoning is sound for why they would be removed from those threads. 

I really don't understand the agitation for something like this.  There are literally thousands of threads on Celticsblog divided among the separate forums.   Two threads happen to be about teams different from the Celtics that also happen to be in the "Around the NBA" forum.  What makes them any different than threads discussing Lebron James or Westbrook & OKC?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team