Author Topic: Falling behind/blowing leads to learn a lesson  (Read 2267 times)

Re: Falling behind/blowing leads to learn a lesson
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 12:22:16 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
i'm not a fan of what steven's let's happen or encourages, specifically the lazy, settle for jump shots offense. that's where we lose games, that's where we've lost games all season and that's what's gotten us eliminated in the playoffs every yr. and it's what will get us eliminated this yr..
It's amazing how wrongly people look at our playoffs runs. You do realize we've gotten much farther in the playoffs then we had any business going? For the level of talent this team has had over the years, we should have lost to Milwaukee last year, and Washington the year before.that. We have such a warped view of how good our teams are.

Or maybe Bill Belichek is right and you are who your record says you are.
That's a nice theory... Except it's completely wrong come playoff time. We should know that better than anyone when we got embarrassingly manhandled   by the Cavs in the 2017 playoffs, despite having a better record than them.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 12:48:32 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
i'm not a fan of what steven's let's happen or encourages, specifically the lazy, settle for jump shots offense. that's where we lose games, that's where we've lost games all season and that's what's gotten us eliminated in the playoffs every yr. and it's what will get us eliminated this yr..
It's amazing how wrongly people look at our playoffs runs. You do realize we've gotten much farther in the playoffs then we had any business going? For the level of talent this team has had over the years, we should have lost to Milwaukee last year, and Washington the year before.that. We have such a warped view of how good our teams are.

Or maybe Bill Belichek is right and you are who your record says you are.
That's a nice theory... Except it's completely wrong come playoff time. We should know that better than anyone when we got embarrassingly manhandled   by the Cavs in the 2017 playoffs, despite having a better record than them.
I believe all teams with Lebron are an exception. He can will a bad team to a finals apperance (at least in the weaker east). IT injured hip really started to show in that series and last year we were without Irving (with whom we got the good record last year). So in that regard you cant correlate our record and our playoff performance

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 01:19:37 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

I tend to not put too much stock into the regular season. most good teams are able to win a good amount of games while not sacrificing their chances and positioning for the playoffs.

with that said this team with essentially 2 different rosters under stevens has lost the same way in the playoffs no matter the opponent. ie.  opponent goes on a run because we settle for poor jump shots we continue to take poor jump shots to get back in the game and then we lose.

either stevens thinks this is the right way to get back in the game and encourages it or he doesn't and the message to get better shots at the rim - drive to the basket is not getting through. the common denominator is stevens - he needs to make it happen.

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 01:46:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
NM.

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 03:50:22 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'm not a fan of playing "the long game" if that means losses in the regular season given that that comes back to bite you big time with lower seeding in the playoffs.

Road wins in the playoffs are extremely difficult and it is foolish to think that 'the switch' can be flipped to make up for losing home court advantage.

The Celtics have roughly a 33% W-L record on the road in the playoffs and it's been worse (~25%) in the Brad Stevens era.   So regular season losses are indeed costly in the playoffs.

If there truly is some sort of motive to 'teach a lesson' by not making in-game / in-season corrections then that seems absurdly stupid to me.  It shouldn't take a season of floundering against the same problems to learn the 'lesson' and the long-term cost (home court advantage in the playoffs) is a heavy price to pay for such a 'teaching method'.

I just don't buy that this is intentional in any way.  And if it is, then it's inexcusable.   Regular season games DO matter, both for the playoffs and for the fans paying $$ to watch them.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.