Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 368779 times)

Re: The Sixers missed their sell high moment
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
Just thought I'd point out that the 76ers are 26th in the league in home attendance percentage record at 82.1%.  The Celtics are at 99.2%.  The 76ers are dead last on the road at 83.3%.  I'm not sure that's a sign of their fans being elated right now.
TP for beating me to it on the numbers.

Yea. I guess maybe the argument is that Embiid has a lot of fans, but the 76ers fans are not quite "lit" yet.

« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2017, 02:26:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I find it interesting that in LarBrd's world the 76ers and Celtics are roughly equivalent in success over the past couple of years, using one metric: playoff series wins.

To be clear, my point is that if both teams are trying to become contenders, neither has yet succeeded.  I suspect Boston will keep making improvements.  A trade or big draft could vault them into contention.  We certainly hope that happens.  But having seen teams make rapid jumps from 20 wins to 60+, It's not out of the realm of possibility that teams like Philly and the Wolves become contenders before we do.

No doubt that Boston is a better team right now.  We should win about 55 games.  We could finish 2nd in the East.   We could win as many as two playoff series this year.

A full-strength Philly team is probably closer to a .500 win borderline playoff team than it is a league bottomfeeder - they are 7-7 in games Embiid has scored 20 or more (which is an encouraging sign of what's to come when the minutes restriction lifts for the future superstar).   They are 4-3 in games Noel has received 10 minutes or more (he's been injured for most of the year and has 25 minutes in his last two games - the success speaks to the possibility of him fitting in there long-term as an elite backup big man)... and of course they have still not suited up their other potential franchise player, Ben Simmons.   Despite this, Philly at max strength is still very unlikely to be anywhere near as good as Boston is right now for at least a couple years.

That said, fan approval for the two teams has to be about even right now.  I mean, we LOVE Thomas, but I'm pretty sure Philly fans are already naming their children after Embiid.  And it's telling that in our very own Arena in Boston, chants of "TRUST THE PROCESS!!" drowned out our own fans.   I doubt there are many Philly fans that would swap places with us.   So in response to oldtype's earlier comment questioning if fans can enjoy watching a team that isn't a contender... the point is if don't care about being a contender right now and are measuring success by entertainment factor and enjoyment of watching non-contenders play, Philly fans and Boston fans are both pretty elated right now.
Its tough to quantify fan value however, Boston is currently 12th in the NBA filling 99.2% of their seats with the 8th highest average ticket prices.

The Sixers are 26th in the NBA, filling 82.1% of their seats with the 24th highest average ticket values.

These numbers could be a bit off because Im using last years picket prices with this years attendance.

I know Celtics tickets increased in cost this year. I dont know if Philly's did. I do know that Philly hasnt raised their ticket prices at any point in the past decade.

The Celtics fans have had and continue to have greater entertainment value than the Sixers. You can make pointless claims like saying the Sixers are "lit" but if they were that "lit" theyd be buying tickets and showing up to games.
They could also be off because Boston is considerably more expensive than Philadelphia (thus comparative ticket prices don't mean much). Or perhaps because the Wells Fargo Center is full 2,000 seats larger than the Garden. These numbers are not very informative, really.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2017, 02:29:40 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Just thought I'd point out that the 76ers are 26th in the league in home attendance percentage record at 82.1%.  The Celtics are at 99.2%.  The 76ers are dead last on the road at 83.3%.  I'm not sure that's a sign of their fans being elated right now.
TP for beating me to it on the numbers.

TP back at you for going the extra mile of looking up the ticket prices. 

I'm sure there are people on 76ers blogs that are totally excited about their team's future, but when looking at the attendance numbers and ticket prices, it's obvious they are not doing well at drawing fans compared to the rest of the league and are well behind the Celtics.  It's even more [dang]ing when taking into account that Philadelphia is the fourth largest market in the country.

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2017, 02:40:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I find it interesting that in LarBrd's world the 76ers and Celtics are roughly equivalent in success over the past couple of years, using one metric: playoff series wins.

To be clear, my point is that if both teams are trying to become contenders, neither has yet succeeded.  I suspect Boston will keep making improvements.  A trade or big draft could vault them into contention.  We certainly hope that happens.  But having seen teams make rapid jumps from 20 wins to 60+, It's not out of the realm of possibility that teams like Philly and the Wolves become contenders before we do.

No doubt that Boston is a better team right now.  We should win about 55 games.  We could finish 2nd in the East.   We could win as many as two playoff series this year.

A full-strength Philly team is probably closer to a .500 win borderline playoff team than it is a league bottomfeeder - they are 7-7 in games Embiid has scored 20 or more (which is an encouraging sign of what's to come when the minutes restriction lifts for the future superstar).   They are 4-3 in games Noel has received 10 minutes or more (he's been injured for most of the year and has 25 minutes in his last two games - the success speaks to the possibility of him fitting in there long-term as an elite backup big man)... and of course they have still not suited up their other potential franchise player, Ben Simmons.   Despite this, Philly at max strength is still very unlikely to be anywhere near as good as Boston is right now for at least a couple years.

That said, fan approval for the two teams has to be about even right now.  I mean, we LOVE Thomas, but I'm pretty sure Philly fans are already naming their children after Embiid.  And it's telling that in our very own Arena in Boston, chants of "TRUST THE PROCESS!!" drowned out our own fans.   I doubt there are many Philly fans that would swap places with us.   So in response to oldtype's earlier comment questioning if fans can enjoy watching a team that isn't a contender... the point is if don't care about being a contender right now and are measuring success by entertainment factor and enjoyment of watching non-contenders play, Philly fans and Boston fans are both pretty elated right now.
Its tough to quantify fan value however, Boston is currently 12th in the NBA filling 99.2% of their seats with the 8th highest average ticket prices.

The Sixers are 26th in the NBA, filling 82.1% of their seats with the 24th highest average ticket values.

These numbers could be a bit off because Im using last years picket prices with this years attendance.

I know Celtics tickets increased in cost this year. I dont know if Philly's did. I do know that Philly hasnt raised their ticket prices at any point in the past decade.

The Celtics fans have had and continue to have greater entertainment value than the Sixers. You can make pointless claims like saying the Sixers are "lit" but if they were that "lit" theyd be buying tickets and showing up to games.
They could also be off because Boston is considerably more expensive than Philadelphia (thus comparative ticket prices don't mean much). Or perhaps because the Wells Fargo Center is full 2,000 seats larger than the Garden. These numbers are not very informative, really.
Even when accounting for cost of living
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&city1=Philadelphia%2C+PA&country2=United+States&city2=Boston%2C+MA
Celtics tickets are more expensive than 76ers tickets in 2016
https://www.statista.com/statistics/193720/average-ticket-price-in-the-nba-by-team-in-2016/
and even if we just count average attendence (which should slant things in Phillys favor because during sellouts they get another 2000 people) Boston still has more average fans per home game (they rank 12th Philly 19th).

conclusion: the Celtics are more "lit"

In fact, this years 6ers have, thus far, a lower average home attendance than the 34 win Sixersof 12/13 at which point I dont think Id call the fanbase "lit"
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:47:10 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2017, 02:40:54 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I have two problems with Philly's tank job:

1) The Now (and last couple of years). Coaches and GMs making tons of money to fail on purpose to have the best chance of winning a lottery. Philly fans might as well root on guys playing Keno in a local bar- might be more entertaining. Besides the Embiid games this year, they have not delivered on their implicit pay for entertainment contract with their fans.

2) The future. One would think your getting promised a good effort when you spend $150 to watch a kids game and eat overpriced fried food. There is even less of a promise that Embiid/Simmons/Okafor/Noel/Saric will stay in Philly. The city is not known for winning basketball games (or other games in other sports). What if the fans watched all of this to see their "stars" walk out the door? Why would you want to stay and play for Keno guys. I prefer basketball owners and GMs.

« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Do you have video audio of philly fans drowning out our fans? From what I read there were like 20 people and not how you are describing it at all

http://www.csnphilly.com/the700level/trust-process-chants-joel-embiid-take-over-boston

76ers fans are LIT.  Fan approval hasn't been higher since Iverson fluked them into the Finals.

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2017, 03:07:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
They were 70% in 2010 though when they won 27 games.  In fact from 2007 to 2011 they were in the 70's every single season.  During that span they won 35, 40, 41, 27, and 41 games.  That would lead one to believe they actually have more hope now then they did when they were middling team which actually supports LarBrd's position.

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Do you have video audio of philly fans drowning out our fans? From what I read there were like 20 people and not how you are describing it at all

http://www.csnphilly.com/the700level/trust-process-chants-joel-embiid-take-over-boston

76ers fans are LIT.  Fan approval hasn't been higher since Iverson fluked them into the Finals.
is there a metric for that or did you make that up? genuinely curious.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&city1=Philadelphia%2C+PA&country2=United+States&city2=Boston%2C+MA
https://www.statista.com/statistics/193720/average-ticket-price-in-the-nba-by-team-in-2016/
and even if we just count average attendence (which should slant things in Phillys favor because during sellouts they get another 2000 people) Boston still has more average fans per home game (they rank 12th Philly 19th).

In fact, this years 6ers have, thus far, a lower average home attendance than the 34 win Sixersof 12/13 at which point I dont think Id call the fanbase "lit"

76ers typical attendence hovers around 13,800 and 14,700 per game.  That's what it was in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016.

In the years they made the playoffs (2009 and 2012, attendence jumped to 16,500 ....   They have averaged 16,600 per game this year despite sucking.  So attendence is similar to years they make the playoffs. 

Their last game they had 17,124 in attendence against a 11 win team.   The last game they had against a team anyone in Philly gives a dam about, the Lakers, was an above sell-out crowd of 20,491 for a 20,318 capacity arena.

That fanbase is LIT.

Also consider that season tickets are typically sold prior to the season.  A team coming off a historically losing season (10 wins) isn't selling a lot of season tickets.  And nobody really anticipated that Joel Embiid would be this incredible this early.  I suspect attendance will just go higher and higher as the season progresses and Simmons returns...  and as a result the average attendance will be higher than the playoff levels it's getting right now.    It's ridiculous to compare their attendence to a team that projected to win 55 games this season and is coming off back-to-back playoff appearances with the most loyal fanbase in sports.  Boston are slightly more excited than they are in a typical year.

On the flip side, Philly fan approval is the highest it's been since the Iverson era.  LIT.

« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2017, 03:10:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
They were 70% in 2010 though when they won 27 games.  In fact from 2007 to 2011 they were in the 70's every single season.  During that span they won 35, 40, 41, 27, and 41 games.  That would lead one to believe they actually have more hope now then they did when they were middling team which actually supports LarBrd's position.

in 2012 and 2013 they were at 86 and 82%. Ticket prices were also more expensive from 2007 to 2011.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/220940/nba-average-ticket-price-for-philapdelphia-76ers-games/

« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2017, 03:12:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

76ers typical attendence hovers around 13,800 and 14,700 per game.  That's what it was in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016.

In the years they made the playoffs (2009 and 2012, attendence jumped to 16,500 ....   They have averaged 16,600 per game this year despite sucking.  So attendence is similar to years they make the playoffs. 

Their last game they had 17,124 in attendence against a 11 win team.   The last game they had against a team anyone in Philly gives a dam about, the Lakers, was a sell-out crowd of 20,400.

That fanbase is LIT.

Also consider that season tickets are typically sold prior to the season.  A team coming off a historically losing season (10 wins) isn't selling a lot of season tickets.  And nobody really anticipated that Joel Embiid would be this incredible this early.  I suspect attendence will just go higher and higher as the season progresses and Simmons returns...  and as a result the average attendance will be higher than the playoff levels it's getting right now.    It's ridiculous to compare their attendence to a team that projected to win 55 games this season and is coming off back-to-back playoff appearances with the most loyal fanbase in sports.  Boston are slightly more excited than they are in a typical year.

On the flip side, Philly fan approval is the highest it's been since the Iverson era.  LIT.
so which fanbase is more lit?

« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Their last game they had 17,124 in attendence against a 11 win team.   The last game they had against a team anyone in Philly gives a dam about, the Lakers, was an above sell-out crowd of 20,491 for a 20,318 capacity arena.

That fanbase is LIT.

Also consider that season tickets are typically sold prior to the season.  A team coming off a historically losing season (10 wins) isn't selling a lot of season tickets.  And nobody really anticipated that Joel Embiid would be this incredible this early.  I suspect attendance will just go higher and higher as the season progresses and Simmons returns...  and as a result the average attendance will be higher than the playoff levels it's getting right now.    It's ridiculous to compare their attendence to a team that projected to win 55 games this season and is coming off back-to-back playoff appearances with the most loyal fanbase in sports.  Boston are slightly more excited than they are in a typical year.

so which fanbase is more lit?
Hard to say.  I'd say on a LIT scale, Boston's fanbase is 70% LIT compared to a fully 100% Lit 2007-08 Celtic Championship.   I'd say Philly is about 90% LIT compared to a fully 100% LIT Iverson 76ers Finals team.

On their individual Litness scale, I'd say Boston is above-average and Philly is almost reaching inferno level.

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2017, 03:18:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

Multiple fans that were at the game have refuted this and said there was a group of 20 fans that kept trying to do this chant and were generally drown out. They were able to be heard at a few quiet times like free throws. I'm gonna have to take the word of 3 or 4 that shared this experience from the game (including a guy near the group) over a media report attempting to get a few clicks.

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2017, 03:21:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

in 2012 and 2013 they were at 86 and 82%. Ticket prices were also more expensive from 2007 to 2011.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/220940/nba-average-ticket-price-for-philapdelphia-76ers-games/
Are those the average of sold tickets or the average of all available tickets?  I ask because if it is sold tickets those numbers actually make perfect sense. 

2012 they made the ECS and was the only time they have been above .500 in over a decade (even then it had been almost a decade since a playoff series win).  Interest waned after the ill fated Bynum trade and they dropped to 82.2% which is basically where they are at now with basically the same average ticket price despite this terrible down streak.

The attendance numbers absolutely support the idea that Philly fans are excited.  Certainly way more excited for the middling teams they had in the mid to late 2000's.  That is the point though.  Philly fans actually think they have a team that could actually compete for championships in the making right now.  They haven't had that since the one season Iverson's group made the Finals and even that 1 appearance is 15 years ago and was 16 years from the one prior to that.  Most franchises aren't the Lakers or Celtics where you get accustomed to having real and legit contenders.  When you finally have a core you think could get you there, you get excited.  The attendance numbers bear this out.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2017, 03:27:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Multiple fans that were at the game have refuted this and said there was a group of 20 fans that kept trying to do this chant and were generally drown out. They were able to be heard at a few quiet times like free throws. I'm gonna have to take the word of 3 or 4 that shared this experience from the game (including a guy near the group) over a media report attempting to get a few clicks.
Use your earballs, you can hear the entire arena chanting while Embiid mouths along to it. 

Personally I'm shocked Al Horford didn't take to twitter to comment on how disrespected he felt as a starting center.