Author Topic: Sacramento Kings as a trade Partner?  (Read 4881 times)

Re: Sacramento Kings as a trade Partner?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 02:17:17 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I would do this trade

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y6cy84t8

To Kings:  Smart, Theis, Nesmith, Waters,  a protected 1st and 2nd
To Celtics:  Barnes, Whiteside and 2 fillers

Barnes is a player Danny has had an eye on since HS.   He has won a ring, plays good versatile D, good clean 3 point shot, doesn't need to launch shots,   plays within himself.   Probably the best complimentary piece you could find for Tatum/Brown/Walker championship pursuit

He is also signed up for the next 3 years.   

New lineup

TT
Tatum
Barnes
Brown
Walker

Timelord/Whiteside
Gwilliams/Semi
Langford
Teague
Pritchard

With the luxury of having one of the starters on the court at all times

I like the idea of Barnes, but I would not give up Smart, and I don't think we would need to.

You do, because of salary matching purpose

Not enough min/underutilizing if you kept both also

Why not just absorb Barnes into the TPE? A 1st, 2nd, + a salary to keep us under the tax seems like a reasonable starting point.

No need to give away players just because.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 02:19:27 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Yet another trade two starters on a conference finalist team for a starter on a non-playoff team trade idea. Not sure how this is going to make us better. I do like Barnes though.
Do you really think Smart and Theiss should be starting this year though!?! Your statement is outdated  8)

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 02:21:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would do this trade

Barnes is a player Danny has had an eye on since HS.   He has won a ring, plays good versatile D, good clean 3 point shot, doesn't need to launch shots,   plays within himself.   Probably the best complimentary piece you could find for Tatum/Brown/Walker championship pursuit

New lineup

TT
Tatum
Barnes
Brown
Walker

Timelord/Whiteside
Gwilliams/Semi
Langford
Teague
Pritchard

I like the idea of Barnes, but I would not give up Smart, and I don't think we would need to.

Why not just absorb Barnes into the TPE? A 1st, 2nd, + a salary to keep us under the tax seems like a reasonable starting point.

Celts only have approximately 18-19m TPE .... Barnes makes 22million

*Only 18-19TPE due to the original TPE available reduced by the signing of TT and Teague. 

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:27:22 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 02:45:47 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I would do this trade

New lineup

TT
Tatum
Barnes
Brown
Walker

Timelord/Whiteside
Gwilliams/Semi
Langford
Teague
Pritchard

*Only 18-19TPE due to the original TPE available reduced by the signing of TT and Teague.

We still have a TPE worth $28.5m. We can only use about $18-19m now, but we can absolutely move another salary that will allow us to use more of the TPE in-season. Which is why I added the "+ a salary to keep us under the tax" as part of my proposal.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 02:55:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would do this trade

New lineup

TT
Tatum
Barnes
Brown
Walker

Timelord/Whiteside
Gwilliams/Semi
Langford
Teague
Pritchard

We still have a TPE worth $28.5m. We can only use about $18-19m now, but we can absolutely move another salary that will allow us to use more of the TPE in-season. Which is why I added the "+ a salary to keep us under the tax" as part of my proposal.

ok thanks for the clarification

but imo its better to not divide the minutes like that.

Barnes should finish the game with the rest of the starters . Cant fix/quiet Smart hero tendencies

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 03:04:00 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I would do this trade

New lineup

TT
Tatum
Barnes
Brown
Walker

Timelord/Whiteside
Gwilliams/Semi
Langford
Teague
Pritchard

Salary matching isn't the issue.  We can absorb Barnes' 22.2M salary with the TPE.

The issue is making room under the tax threshold so that we don't end up paying the tax.  To do this, we'd need to shed about 9M in salary.   Maybe 12M to be safe in case Jaylen makes certain incentives.

We could send some of that to SAC in a side transaction or also could send some to a 3rd team in a separate transaction.

SAC would have an open roster slot with the movement of Barnes and could in theory cut GR III's unguaranteed contract so could receive two players without issue.   You'd have to probably give them an additional future 2nd round pick for doing that.

There are multiple combinations of contracts Danny could move to shed that 9M-12M.  I would assume at a minimum, he would be sending either Romeo (3.6M) or Aaron (3.4M) or both in such a deal.  So to shed the rest will need to move 2 more players -- which means involving a 3rd team.

I get that since Theis is on his last year, that he is tradable, but this move is also about going all-in on this coming playoffs and I don't think Danny or Brad would want to replace what Theis brings to this team with Whiteside.

Javonte' contract is not yet guaranteed and in theory could be cut to shed 1.5M, but in a scenario where we traded away one or both of Romeo or Aaron, it would seem unlikely Danny would want to cut one more small wing / big guard.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 03:06:46 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I would do this trade

New lineup

TT
Tatum
Barnes
Brown
Walker

Timelord/Whiteside
Gwilliams/Semi
Langford
Teague
Pritchard

No.  The TPE is 28.5M.

The TPE had nothing to do with the signing of TT or Teague.

TT was signed with the non-taxpayer Mid Level Exception,

Teague was signed with a Veteran Minimum Contract.

We can't casually use ALL of the 28.5M TPE, though, without shedding additional salary to stay under the tax threshold.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 04:03:40 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I don’t think the Cs really need any more bigs. If there is a player on Sacramento that the Cs could be interested in, I think it would be  Harrison Barnes.

I just think the Celtics bigs are very average and they are undersized as well. Thompson and Theis seem to have regressed from last year and Robert Williams is still raw, however, I feel like he does have upside. Also, all 3 of those guys are undersized at 6’8”. Seems Less than ideal.
So how does it make sense to trade for Bagley or Holmes though? They aren’t exactly high end big men either. Not sure if they are much of an upgrade really. Holmes seems like a decent rotation guy. Bagley seems like he’s regressed and trending towards bust. He could benefit from a change of scenery but not really impressed with his overall game.

Bagley and Holmes are both bigger (6’11”), They can shoot the ball, and are significantly younger. They are putting up good numbers and have upside, which Thompson and Theis do not. I was expecting more from Thompson. He’s just not very good.
Just because they are younger doesn’t make them better. Both of the Sacramento guys are on par if not inferior to what we have. Neither really move the needle that much imo.

Right... but Players  in their early to mid 20’s are more than likely going to improve. They have upside. Bagley is averaging 12ppg and 8rpg while shooting 34% from 3pt in 25mpg. Holmes is averaging 13ppg and 8rpg with 1stl and 1.5blk in 28mpg.

Theis is averaging 7ppg and 4rpg, while shooting 23% from 3pt and 33% from the FT line in 23mpg. This is horrendous. Thompson is averaging 8ppg and 8rpg in 23mpg. Thompson will be 30 this year and Theis will be 29. They are what they are. I’m shocked that people don’t think the Celtics are in great need of an upgrade at the PF/C position.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 04:25:23 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I'd give SAC a 2nd rounder and Edwards for Holmes. Which of course they might only do at the deadline with no other offers, and only then if they aren't going to offer Holmes a new deal. No way I'm giving away an asset like Nesmith or Romeo until we see what we have in them. We're talking about trading for a guy who might be a modest upgrade over Theis, but would not be starting ahead of Thompson.

If SAC wants to keep him long-term, there's no reasonable deal they would accept.

And Bagley is hot garbage. He wouldn't even be in our 9 or 10 man rotation.

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2021, 04:30:31 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Barnes would be great here
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2021, 04:31:19 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I would do this trade

New lineup

TT
Tatum
Barnes
Brown
Walker

Timelord/Whiteside
Gwilliams/Semi
Langford
Teague
Pritchard

I’m not so sure about that... Barnes is  a very good veteran player and I believe he’s only 27 years old.  He certainly has value.  Theis isn’t very good and Nesmith/waters can’t even get on the court. So the picks are the only thing of value and they are not going to be great unless the Celtics fall apart over the next few years.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2021, 05:47:38 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I would do this trade

New lineup

TT
Tatum
Barnes
Brown
Walker

Timelord/Whiteside
Gwilliams/Semi
Langford
Teague
Pritchard

Triboy, I want to tell you that for a lot of my time reading C’s Blog over the past 13 odd years, I thought you consistently had some zany takes and I didn’t really know what to make of you.

I took about 2 years off from posting after Kyrie left us. I was one of his biggest backers, and felt like a betrayed fool after everything.

I continued to read the site as I always do, and recently made my first post since then.

But what I’m trying to say is, in the past few months and maybe for even longer, I think you’ve really added a lot of excellent insights to many conversations. It’s more than a hot streak, at this point it’s a transformation. It’s great to see and I just wanted to say that I look out for your posts now, after probably having said some rude stuff before. I just wanted to let you know. Thanks for adding your input.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2021, 06:18:18 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I would do this trade

New lineup

TT
Tatum
Barnes
Brown
Walker

Timelord/Whiteside
Gwilliams/Semi
Langford
Teague
Pritchard

I would probably do this as well, however, I’m not sure Danny is high on Whiteside. He could have been easily had in the offseason and is only making $2.3m on a 1 year deal with Sacramento. He’s another guy with character issues and I really feel like the C’s are avoiding these types. Could have had Boogie Cousins too. He signed for cheap in Houston, 1 yr at 2.3m.

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 06:44:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I would do this trade

New lineup

TT
Tatum
Barnes
Brown
Walker

Timelord/Whiteside
Gwilliams/Semi
Langford
Teague
Pritchard

Triboy, I want to tell you that for a lot of my time reading C’s Blog over the past 13 odd years, I thought you consistently had some zany takes and I didn’t really know what to make of you.

I took about 2 years off from posting after Kyrie left us. I was one of his biggest backers, and felt like a betrayed fool after everything.

I continued to read the site as I always do, and recently made my first post since then.

But what I’m trying to say is, in the past few months and maybe for even longer, I think you’ve really added a lot of excellent insights to many conversations. It’s more than a hot streak, at this point it’s a transformation. It’s great to see and I just wanted to say that I look out for your posts now, after probably having said some rude stuff before. I just wanted to let you know. Thanks for adding your input.

All true, but the trade still sucks.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2021, 07:16:00 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I would do this trade

New lineup

TT
Tatum
Barnes
Brown
Walker

Timelord/Whiteside
Gwilliams/Semi
Langford
Teague
Pritchard

All true, but the trade still sucks.

lol, even rising stars have off days.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07