Author Topic: Marcus Morris: better to trade or stretch?  (Read 9210 times)

Re: Marcus Morris: better to trade or stretch?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Let me ask again, does anyone know the projected number the team is trying to be under to avoid setting the repeater tax clock?  The team's current salary is $108,230,008 not counting marcus smart at all.  A starting salary around 12 mil would obviously take us to about 120 mil.

Edit:  these totals do not count Wanamaker either, who for some reason is listed at $0.  Not sure what his salary would be?
Luxury Tax Threshold: $123,733,000
Thanks.  So can someone explain why many predict that the Celts will definitely be over the luxury tax if we sign Marcus?  I found out that Wanamaker would only be making a little over 800k so that should leave about 14.5 mil for marcus this year.

Clearly I am missing something?

Not sure what you are looking at or missing but based on data on Spotrac, the Celtics are at $126,720,019 with Smart at $11,607,143 and Wanamaker at $831,311.  That a little less than $3M over the tax line.

Nader is only partially guaranteed.  I think they plan to pay the tax.  I don't think they will give Morris away just to not pay the tax.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 01:04:56 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Let me ask again, does anyone know the projected number the team is trying to be under to avoid setting the repeater tax clock?  The team's current salary is $108,230,008 not counting marcus smart at all.  A starting salary around 12 mil would obviously take us to about 120 mil.

Edit:  these totals do not count Wanamaker either, who for some reason is listed at $0.  Not sure what his salary would be?
Thanks.  So can someone explain why many predict that the Celts will definitely be over the luxury tax if we sign Marcus?  I found out that Wanamaker would only be making a little over 800k so that should leave about 14.5 mil for marcus this year.

Not sure what you are looking at or missing but based on data on Spotrac, the Celtics are at $126,720,019 with Smart at $11,607,143 and Wanamaker at $831,311.  That a little less than $3M over the tax line.

Nader is only partially guaranteed.  I think they plan to pay the tax.  I don't think they will give Morris away just to not pay the tax.

We'll see what they want to do. They could lock Bird into a contract similar to Ojeleye that is long, but non-guaranteed. This gives Bird a team and gives the Celtics roster flexibility.

If they did that, trading away Morris still gets them under the tax, which is a good place to be for the Celtics as they stare down the repeater tax in coming years.

Ojeleye and Theis offer similar defense and outside shooting. Morris is well-suited to be a 5-7th man, but on this team, he is the 9th. Ojeleye and Theis are better 9th and 10th men.

Morris just doesn't fill a position of need for this team moving forward. I would like to keep him, but it really makes sense to get under the tax by trading him.

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
If we are going for a championship this year, you keep him. Who really can give us what he does right now as a PF off the bench? Also another body to throw at Durant in a potential Warriors/Celtics finals.

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Thanks, I've been using hoops hype, which is the first one I came across.  Aside from a slight difference on Tatums's salary, the individual salaries just about match up. 

But I figured out the issue.  While the hoops hype page says the payroll is $114,283,726, they actually add up to $120,337,444 (using smarts 6 mil cap hold). 

So yeah, we'll be at about 126 mil with smarts contract.  And by the way, has the 11 mil been reported already?

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston_celtics/

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 01:44:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
If we are going for a championship this year, you keep him. Who really can give us what he does right now as a PF off the bench? Also another body to throw at Durant in a potential Warriors/Celtics finals.
Theis?

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 01:51:27 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Theis?

Semi?

Hayward?

Brown?

Tatum?

Smart?

Horford?

How many do we need?

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 01:53:27 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Theis?

Semi?

Hayward?

Brown?

Tatum?

Smart?

How many do we need?
Touche.

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 01:53:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Theis?

Semi?

Hayward?

Brown?

Tatum?

Smart?

How many do we need?

After all the injuries of last year, is this really a question?  We need all of them.

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 01:55:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I agree.  I think the C's are prepared to pay the tax.  Unless Morris becomes a locker room problem because of minutes I don't see why you get rid of him.  Yeah he took a lot of bad iso shots in the playoffs last year, but guess what with KI and GH back he won't have to do that.  As a bench vet that can hit shots and play tough def and has playoff experience I def want to keep Morris unless he starts complaining about PT.

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 01:57:08 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Theis?

Semi?

Hayward?

Brown?

Tatum?

Smart?

How many do we need?

After all the injuries of last year, is this really a question?  We need all of them.

This is the safe answer.  I hope we don't trade Morris.  If management is ok with paying the tax, I certainly don't have a problem with it.  It feels like DA truly believes we have a contending team this year.  Lets roll everyone back and see how far we get.

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 02:05:51 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
rather stretch Nader and trade Yabusele for cap space

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2018, 02:27:39 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Trade.  It's not like no one would want a tough vet who can score off the bench that only will cost 5m.  He's an asset not a liability.

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Theis?

Semi?

Hayward?

Brown?

Tatum?

Smart?

How many do we need?

This is the safe answer.  I hope we don't trade Morris.  If management is ok with paying the tax, I certainly don't have a problem with it.  It feels like DA truly believes we have a contending team this year.  Lets roll everyone back and see how far we get.

To win championships these days, you need at least 3-superstars and 1 all-star. But now the Warriors obtained another superstar for cheap. So now you need 4 superstars and 1 all-star caliber player. The Celtics should probably add one or two more superstars to team up with Kyrie and Hayward.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 02:38:00 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Morris isn't that great. His defense is pretty bad and his offense comes and goes. You could find a player like him pretty easily at any time.

That being said, he's a familiar face in the locker room, he knows the system and teammates, might as well keep him around.

I think it's more likely he'll force his way out if anything. He's going to see a huge reduction in minutes in a contract year..

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 02:39:44 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
rather stretch Nader and trade Yabusele for cap space

Pretty sure that this does not get C's under the luxury tax threshold.  Remember Theis and Wanamaker count 1.5 mil each.