Author Topic: Jason Thompson, Carl Landry & Nik Stauskas traded to Philadelphia 76ers  (Read 30527 times)

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Derek Bodner @DerekBodnerNBA
#sixers can only swap picks with Kings in 2016 if pick doesn't convey. Then if it doesn't convey, same thing in 2017

Top-10 protected in 2016. If it doesn't convey in 2016, is top-10 protected in 2017.
So the Sixers can swap picks in at least 2016 or 2017 and potentially both years.  If the Kings finish in the 10th spot both years that would give the Sixers an additional 4% chance at a top 3 pick each year.  If they finish in 6th like they did this year that would give the Sixers an additional 21.5% chance at a top 3 pick. 

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If you want to feel better about some of the misery and pessimism here, go to Sactownroyalty.  The Kings fans are devestated.  It's hilarious.

From one of the articles:
"The Sacramento Kings are a bad basketball team, have been a bad basketball team for some time and look to remain a bad basketball team for the foreseeable future."

The comments are priceless.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com
They have a right to be upset. This is like Boston giving up marcus smart to dump Gerald Wallace's contract. It's horrible.  The Kings and hornets are fighting with each for the worst run team in basketball.

That said, I'd probably swap our roster with either one of those teams right now.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
#sixers can only swap picks with Kings in 2016 if pick doesn't convey. Then if it doesn't convey, same thing in 2017

Top-10 protected in 2016. If it doesn't convey in 2016, is top-10 protected in 2017.
So the Sixers can swap picks in at least 2016 or 2017 and potentially both years.  If the Kings finish in the 10th spot both years that would give the Sixers an additional 4% chance at a top 3 pick each year.  If they finish in 6th like they did this year that would give the Sixers an additional 21.5% chance at a top 3 pick. 

I'm still confused as to what it means.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!

If the Kings finish in the top 10 (which they will) they don't have to swap picks. It's a gamble on the Kings finishing 11-14 and potentially napping a top 3 pick.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
If you want to feel better about some of the misery and pessimism here, go to Sactownroyalty.  The Kings fans are devestated.  It's hilarious.

"The Sacramento Kings are a bad basketball team, have been a bad basketball team for some time and look to remain a bad basketball team for the foreseeable future."

They have a right to be upset. This is like Boston giving up marcus smart to dump Gerald Wallace's contract. It's horrible.  The Kings and hornets are fighting with each for the worst run team in basketball.

That said, I'd probably swap our roster with either one of those teams right now.
Imagine how upset their fans will be if the free agents the Kings are targeting don't end up signing with them.  Then Cousins gets so upset with the debacle that he publicly demands a trade. We of course swoop in to take him of their hands.   ;D

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

If the Kings finish in the top 10 (which they will) they don't have to swap picks. It's a gamble on the Kings finishing 11-14 and potentially napping a top 3 pick.
The Kings traded their 1st rounder to Chicago (top 10 protected in 2016 and 2017).  If Sacramento finishes inside top 10 in 2016, Chicago doesn't get the pick and Philly has the right to swap 1sts.  Then if Sacramento finishes inside the top 10 in 2017, Chicago gets the Sacramento 2nd rounder and Philly has the right to swap 1sts.  Then in 2018 Philly gets the Sacramento pick (top 10 protected?). 

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Vlade had spent the past six years as the head of the Serbian Olympic Committee.  While that's impressive, why would Vivek think that means he knows how to run an NBA team? It's so irrational, but of course this does come from the guy who thinks he knows more than NBA coaches because he once coached a 12 year old girls' team. 

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!

The Kings traded their 1st rounder to Chicago (top 10 protected in 2016 and 2017).  If Sacramento finishes inside top 10 in 2016, Chicago doesn't get the pick and Philly has the right to swap 1sts.  Then if Sacramento finishes inside the top 10 in 2017, Chicago gets the Sacramento 2nd rounder and Philly has the right to swap 1sts.  Then in 2018 Philly gets the Sacramento pick (top 10 protected?).

Lol Kings are a complete mess and playing with fire. Sixers done good here then.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Lol Kings are a complete mess and playing with fire. Sixers done good here then.
Assuming everything reported is accurate, the Sixers potentially did really good.
http://nba.derekbodner.com/2015/07/02/sixers-acquire-nik-stauskas-1st-round-pick-from-kings/

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:00:56 AM by tazzmaniac »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
This is such a heist for Phily. By February when the Kings have the 6th worst record in the league and Cousins is forcing his way to another team those pick swaps will look mighty tasty. 2017 draft has 3 future NBA superstars in the class, and the Sixers just increased their odds of guaranteeing one lands in Phily.

I had been hoping the Celtics could land the Kings 2017 1st as a facilitator of a 3 way trade with Denver but Hinkie took that dream away. I bet by the end of this season that pick swap looks like one of the most valuable draft assets in the league (I say Kings win less than 25 games in 2016-17)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
That's how you use cap space as a rebuilding team, folks.

You mean to get Tyler Zeller? Or Nik Stauskas (who sucks) and years of Carl Landry?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:04:35 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The odds that Philly finishes with a worse draft pick than Sacramento this year is rather low.  It's a nice prize for Philly and all, but if the Kings are able to use it to sign Monta Ellis and/or Rondo, there's just very little way Philly has a chance to pass them this year.  Next year, if that's when Philly finally decides it's time to win again, then maybe, although they just agreed with this trade to take on $9 million of dead money, so it's not clear that 2016 is their time either.

While I wanted Stauskas, I'm quite glad the Celtics didn't do this deal.  I don't care about this year's salary space much, but I wouldn't at this point take on $9 million for next year.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
That's how you use cap space as a rebuilding team, folks.
Another TP. Thats what I wanted us to do, like last year with Zeller and cavs pick.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

No. Stauskas is horrible. And Landry's contract is multi-year, not to mention dumping Thompson.

More importantly, if they can sign Monta Ellis, you're getting rid of dead weight to swap Stauskas for Ellis. Sounds pretty good to me.

EDIT: looking at all the pick details does make this look a little better for Philly.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:05:25 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The odds that Philly finishes with a worse draft pick than Sacramento this year is rather low.  It's a nice prize for Philly and all, but if the Kings are able to use it to sign Monta Ellis and/or Rondo, there's just very little way Philly has a chance to pass them this year.  Next year, if that's when Philly finally decides it's time to win again, then maybe, although they just agreed with this trade to take on $9 million of dead money, so it's not clear that 2016 is their time either.

While I wanted Stauskas, I'm quite glad the Celtics didn't do this deal.  I don't care about this year's salary space much, but I wouldn't at this point take on $9 million for next year.

I'd give up $9 million in space for Stauskas and a future Kings pick, regardless of whether we got swap rights or not (which I'm sure we wouldn't have).

As for the Kings, you're right that their pick *probably* won't end up being swapped.  At the same time, the Clippers thought that their pick *probably* wouldn't end up being #1 (Kyrie Irving) in the Baron Davis / Mo Williams salary dump. 

There's a good chance the Kings will be in the lottery the next couple of seasons, and when that's the case, anything can happen.  The Kings could have conceivably given up a chance at the #1 pick in the draft, Nic Stauskas, and a future #1 for the rights to sign an injured Wes Matthews.  Regardless of whether that comes to pass, it's a really, really poor gamble.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes