Author Topic: Harping on the Young Guys Too Much?  (Read 1852 times)

Harping on the Young Guys Too Much?
« on: January 14, 2019, 01:01:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
In Kyrie's postgame comments last night, he talked about the team needing more "experience."

This might be the case. Maybe some of the young guys who made it to the conference finals last year and haven't had to experience much struggle at the NBA level are taking for granted just how hard it is most of the time.

But Hayward is still erratic. Horford hasn't been his best self this season. Kyrie is still, himself, figuring out how to be a leader and has never had to be a leader in a playoff situation.

Terry and Jaylen have had their struggles this year and Jayson has disappointed in some aspects of his development but I don't think harping on the youth is what's going to turn this team around. It has to be about everybody buying in and working together.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Harping on the Young Guys Too Much?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 01:13:34 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Absolutely...they can't help that they haven't developed as quickly as we all wanted. It would be nice to see development like Mitchell, Fox, and Booker. Tatum may be a few years away from being the consistent scorer we all envisioned, and Brown may never be what some think he will be. Hayward was supposed to be the bridge player that gave them time. Unfortunately, Danny can't see into the future.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Kyrie is talking to much lately. Talk all you want in the locker room.
I know he is saying "WE" but sound like he means THEY.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 02:55:09 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
On Monday, Irving seemed to walk his comments back a little bit. But he reiterated that the Celtics' opportunity to win is what keeps him edgy whenever it feels like Boston isn’t playing to its potential.

“When you win, you want to taste it again," Irving said. "I never want to come from a place where I don’t want to sound like or maybe feel like I don’t want to win a championship. Sometimes I may come off and say things, never to question my teammates in public like that ever again, but I just want to win so bad. I came from a place where I asked for a trade and I come in here and believe in this organization, and I want these young guys to be successful. In order to do that we’ve all got to be on the same page and have that mindset that, a championship or nothing, and that can get the best of me at times.”
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/01/kyrie-irving-doesnt-plan-to-question-boston-celtics-teammates-in-public-again-but-i-just-want-to-win-so-bad.html
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 03:32:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I hate how Kyrie is treating the younger players on this team.

He is becoming an impediment to their success. 

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Maybe it's necessary. I'm more disappointed in the coaching staff that they haven't been able to come up with a plan to restore order. Apart from Smart (and the regular bench players Ojeleye, Yabusele and Williams) all the young guys are partly to blame.

• Jayson Tatum has been a ball stopper, has a questionable shot selection and overall has shown an attitude that he thinks that he's better than he actually is.
  • Jaylen Brown is very inconsistent and often seems uncertain about his role on the team. Neither do I see the defensive force from last year. Where is the fire?
  • Terry Rozier has been a major disappointment. It doesn't seem that he cares about the team, other than his own minutes and stats. He's a liability to the team with his current mindset.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 04:50:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not at all. It’s clear that they’ve bought into their own hype way too much, so someone trying to bring their egos down to earth is music to my ears. Brown and Rozier have flat out regressed since last season, and Tatum has become much worse in some areas while improving in others.

Too much soft treatment for them, which I think is simply the way guys like Stevens and Horford lead
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 04:51:22 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

How exactly is he treating the younger players? And I don't mean what do you think is happening behind the scenes or other conjecture, but how - using actual examples - is he treating the younger players?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:32:08 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 05:03:08 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Not at all. It’s clear that they’ve bought into their own hype way too much, so someone trying to bring their egos down to earth is music to my ears. Brown and Rozier have flat out regressed since last season, and Tatum has become much worse in some areas while improving in others.

Too much soft treatment for them, which I think is simply the way guys like Stevens and Horford lead

Exactly. Everyone just wants to coddle them. Rozier is hit or miss. Brown has regressed - although you can argue that his shooting last year was an outlier. His shooting in college and his rookie season + his continued struggles at the line suggest this.

With Tatum, I think he's bought into his own hype for sure. Before the season started, there were comments on the board calling Tatum the best player on this team - even though he's never had sustained success over an 82 game season. What has he done with more opportunity? Not much. People will blame the returns of Irving and Hayward for taking away from him, but that's just not true. His shot attempts and usage rate are up from last regular season, and on par with his playoff numbers: 13.7 shot attempts and a 23.3% usage rate in 35.9 minutes in the playoffs vs. 13.3 shot attempts and a 22.6% usage rate in 31 minutes this season.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:31:27 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 05:14:11 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I agree that Rozier has mentally moved on to the job he thinks he should already have. And Brown is trying to figure out what's going on. Tatum has read too much of his own press. He's not there.

Maybe start Kyrie, Smart,Hayward, Morris, and Horford.

Are there anyone left to come off the bench NOT on their rookie deal?  Baynes?

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 05:32:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Exactly. Everyone just wants to coddle them. Rozier is hit or miss. Brown has regressed - although you can argue that his shooting last year was an outlier. His shooting in college and his rookie season and his continued struggles at the line suggest this.

With Tatum, I think it's he's bought into his own hype for sure. Before the season started, there were comments on the board calling Tatum the best player on this team - even though he's never had sustained success over an 82 game season. What has he done with more opportunity? Not much. People will blame the returns of Irving and Hayward for taking away from him, but that's just not true. His shot attempts and usage rate are up from last regular season, and on par with his playoff numbers: 13.7 shot attempts and a 23.3% usage rate in 35.9 minutes in the playoffs vs. 13.3 shot attempts and a 22.6% usage rate in 31 minutes this season.
Precisely. It makes no sense to me that we can criticise them almost unendingly, yet when someone who can actually influence said players and their mistakes does it he’s “out of line” or “going too far” or “an impediment on their success”. It’s just complete nonsense at this point, in that it makes no sense.

The vocal crowd who were labelling JT our best player after the offseason were hilarious. During the playoff run he literally did nothing better than Kyrie does, but they mysteriously ignored that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 06:30:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

How exactly is he treating the younger players? And I don't mean what do you think is happening behind the scenes or other conjecture, but how - using actual examples - is he treating the younger players?

The criticism in the media. Blaming the younger players for the team's problems.

On the court, keeping the ball too much to himself and not working hard enough to get others into their comfort zones.

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 06:34:20 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Watch how they play tonight. LOL it's the craziest thing I've ever seen. They will play more spirited with better ball movement. Who knows if they will win but this will be interesting to watch.

Missing Smart is a bigger deal IMO

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 06:45:24 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
What Kyrie is doing is no different than what LeBron did to him in Cleveland. I’m sure players get tired of it. It’s not like Kyrie is some 15 year vet either. The Rainin Js nailed it with today’s podcast. These young guys are on a different timeline and situation to where Kyrie is. The chemistry of this team just isn’t great. They are running out of time if its ever gonna come together.

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 06:49:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Kyrie is talking to much lately. Talk all you want in the locker room.
I know he is saying "WE" but sound like he means THEY.

no don't do that either...