Author Topic: Len Bias / Rondo  (Read 1808 times)

Len Bias / Rondo
« on: May 04, 2010, 02:18:41 PM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
Len Bias would have done exactly what Rondo is doing...carry the torch of the older players...it is a Celtic Tradition...Frank Ramsey to Hondo...Sharman to Sam Jones...Russ to Hondo...Rondo will be the centerpiece of the next great Celtic teams...it will be interesting to see how they can build around him...Pierce was unique in that he started the torch on his own and is soon to hand it to Rondo...

Re: Len Bias / Rondo
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:35:39 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, if we could have given Bias and Reggie some sort of elixir, we never would have gone through the run of terrible years that we did.  Bias would have extended Larry's window, and we could have gotten at least one more title, and maybe two in '87 and '88.

If Bias had lived up to his hype, I think he'd have been better than Rondo.  I'm skeptical that Rondo can almost single-handedly lead a team deep into the playoffs; very few players can.  Bias, from what people were projecting, may have been the type of player who could.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:44:54 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Yeah, if we could have given Bias and Reggie some sort of elixir, we never would have gone through the run of terrible years that we did.  Bias would have extended Larry's window, and we could have gotten at least one more title, and maybe two in '87 and '88.

If Bias had lived up to his hype, I think he'd have been better than Rondo.  I'm skeptical that Rondo can almost single-handedly lead a team deep into the playoffs; very few players can.  Bias, from what people were projecting, may have been the type of player who could.
Yeah, a lot of people felt that Bias was a better college player than Michael Jordan.  But the OP is right- it will be Rondo's team soon, if not already.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 03:47:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Don't forget all the stiffs we had running around...Lohaus, Roberts, Acres. Wow! It's amazing that there were less teams back then when you consider the talent level of those three.  If there had as many teams/players as today's NBA we might have seen some truly awful players. Daye could've been a bonafide starter.

On a serious note...it would've been amazing to have had the torch passed to Bias and Lewis. Think about the battles we would've had vs. the Bulls in the 90's (when they were in their prime). Bias & Lewis vs Jordan & Pippen.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
This thread denotes why it is imperative for Danny to find Rondo a back-court mate this summer...  Ray is at the end of his career, and better to let him go a year too early than another long-term deal too late (ie. probably 3 years?).

"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:30:59 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I think it shows why its important for Danny to look at all options for bringing in elite talent that can help us win. In terms of resigning Ray or not - we should resign Ray as long as he doesn't block bringing in an elite talent, since we are not going to be under the salary cap, I think resigning Ray makes it easier to bring in elite talent - as he could be a trade-able asset in part of a move to get talent. If he leaves you get nothing for him.

(I'm assuming they can sign Ray to a 2+1option deal at slightly above MLE - under know circumstances would I resign Ray for more than three years or more than 10 / year)