Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 370331 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1470 on: December 07, 2018, 09:14:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The Top-6 teams in the East currently are Raptors, Bucks, Sixers, Pistons, Pacers, Celtics.

The Sixers have played all those teams (except Pacers) and are a combined 1-4 against them. They are down 68-56 to the Pistons right now at halftime as well.

Boston meanwhile has played down to their competition but against those teams, are a combined 5-2.

Interesting...

It’s crazy. I really enjoy watching embiid play and I think Simmons is a really unique talent. But the way the 76ers have been overhyped on this board going back to Noel and okafor has really made it hard for me to enjoy them as an exciting young team. I thought it would die down a bit when we had a gentlemen’s sweep against them last year without Irving or Hayward, but I was sadly mistaken. It’s probbaly the thing I find most frustrating on this board (and in general I love larbrd in case anyone was curious )

People, like LB, just enjoy being contrarian. He overhyped Okafor and Noel under the “future superstar” label he loosely throws around to young (cough McLemore), inexperienced (cough Bismack), prospects (cough Bennett), but these predictions consistently fall flat.

Just take a look at Butler. For years he called him premium brand Ricky Davis simply because he thought we would get him and wanted to be ahead on that. So now the Sixers get him and he thinks they’re the team to beat. Funny how that works. Speaking of funny, Saric is another guy he labeled with “superstar potential”, but I guess that potential was only if he remained in Philly.

« Reply #1471 on: December 07, 2018, 09:33:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Top-6 teams in the East currently are Raptors, Bucks, Sixers, Pistons, Pacers, Celtics.

The Sixers have played all those teams (except Pacers) and are a combined 1-4 against them. They are down 68-56 to the Pistons right now at halftime as well.

Boston meanwhile has played down to their competition but against those teams, are a combined 5-2.

Interesting...
Toronto on the road was the only game they had Butler though.  Seems odd to bring up a record for a team that is vastly different then the current one.

EDIT: And they just beat Detroit.  So 1-1 against those team since the Butler trade.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:47:55 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1472 on: December 07, 2018, 10:18:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Interesting...

It’s crazy. I really enjoy watching embiid play and I think Simmons is a really unique talent. But the way the 76ers have been overhyped on this board going back to Noel and okafor has really made it hard for me to enjoy them as an exciting young team. I thought it would die down a bit when we had a gentlemen’s sweep against them last year without Irving or Hayward, but I was sadly mistaken. It’s probbaly the thing I find most frustrating on this board (and in general I love larbrd in case anyone was curious )

People, like LB, just enjoy being contrarian. He overhyped Okafor and Noel under the “future superstar” label he loosely throws around to young (cough McLemore), inexperienced (cough Bismack), prospects (cough Bennett), but these predictions consistently fall flat.

Just take a look at Butler. For years he called him premium brand Ricky Davis simply because he thought we would get him and wanted to be ahead on that. So now the Sixers get him and he thinks they’re the team to beat. Funny how that works. Speaking of funny, Saric is another guy he labeled with “superstar potential”, but I guess that potential was only if he remained in Philly.

Jayson Tatum is the best prospect we've had since Larry Bird.  Future superstar. Lock it in. 

I'm not taking it back until you apologize and show some respect for the years of reverse jinxing I put into this blog.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:24:19 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #1473 on: December 08, 2018, 02:09:24 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

« Reply #1474 on: December 08, 2018, 06:19:13 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
This seems pretty immature for embiid to air publicly http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25481105/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-frustrated-role-jimmy-butler-trade

;D. Embiid just can't stand that Butler might be a better player than him. He was already dreaming of a MVP nomination. But he isn't quite there yet.

« Reply #1475 on: December 08, 2018, 09:38:26 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
This seems pretty immature for embiid to air publicly http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25481105/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-frustrated-role-jimmy-butler-trade

The honeymoon is over.

The weird thing is that they’ve actually winning since the Butler deal, greatly benefiting from a soft schedule, which usually drowns out complaints. I can’t wait to see what happens once they hit real adversity. None of the 3 have any historical record of being willing to sacrifice personal stats for the greater good and wherever Butler goes chemistry and lockroom issues “coincidentally” seem to follow.

Their top 3 guys don’t really compliment each other well. All are very ball dominant and look to occupy the same space as their games thrive on attacking the rim. However, you have Simmons who is completely ineffective and a spacing nightmare off-the-ball, so he needs to have the ball in his hands when he’s out there.

I anxiously await the resident Philly fans to spin this into a positive development.

« Reply #1476 on: December 08, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
totally fits with his personality though.  He has always been vocal in the media about everything.  He also isn't wrong about his usage or numbers (though I do agree he shouldn't say that stuff publically).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1477 on: December 08, 2018, 11:49:47 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Interesting...

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1478 on: December 08, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Eh... when the playoffs roll around Butler is someone I'm not that worried about.

He's having a good season. But I still don't see him as an elite scorer or shot creator. Doesn't mean he won't put up good numbers, but in the big possessions late in a playoff game I don't have the same fear of him I'd have for a guy like a Giannis or a Kyrie Irving.

Or even a John Wall, really. I feel Butler can be stopped. He doesn't have that "unicorn" talent. And at his age I don't see the upside of some other guys in the east like Oladipo and Porzingis.

He's twenty-nine and has only made it past the first round of the playoffs twice. I think he is what he is, a very good two-way player who can score in volume if needed, but isn't a go-to guy.

The Sixers IMO still have a real problem in that regard; Simmons can't shoot, and Embiid isn't super reliable late in the game as he needs to be fed the ball down deep in the post.

They will have trouble scoring late in games in the playoffs against elite opposition. And those close end-of-game scenarios decide series.

« Reply #1479 on: December 09, 2018, 12:38:05 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Interesting...

I wish I could dig into my memory well to take random things ya'll have said in the past out of context and post them here, but I literally can't think of a single memorable thing ever said by a non-LarBrd33 user on this forum.  Drawing a blank.  I'm sure there's something though.  Admittedly, I don't pay any attention to what goes on here anymore, but I doubt folks like the dude above has had much of value to add to this forum since he stopped being able to quote me on a daily basis.

Anyways...

Most of the examples above would have looked differently had they been developed in Boston.  Our system seems to get the most out of people.  Okafor and Noel's careers would have looked a heck of a lot different had they ended up in Boston.   All the other guys were already considered busts by the time I suggested taking a flier on them.  Likewise, they probably would have developed into better players in this system.  Boston has an elite coaching staff and developmental system.  Philly's been a pretty massive joke in how they have mishandled their young prospects - especially in the Colangelo era. 

If time has warped anyone's memory of my Philly stance - it was never about a love for a scrub coach like Brett Brown or their ability to develop talent... I was specifically a fan of their ownership group having the balls to let Sam Hinkie take a video-game approach to building a team.  Stripping it entirely, shamelessly tanking for picks, playing the odds that they'd eventually end up with a superstar.  My argument all along was that "losing culture" didn't matter and as adding competent role players was the least difficult part of the process - they could easily sign talent once they had the core pieces in place.  By far, the most important thing was getting a superstar to build around - they had been irrelevant for decades.

Reminder:

- Nerlens Noel was the cause - not the effect.  Trading their all-star for an injured Noel and a future pick (that became Dario Saric) was what allowed them to bottom out.  If you're bringing up Noel as an example of Philly failing, you don't get it.

- They tanked 3 years in a row and it net them Embiid, Okafor and Simmons.   The whole point of tanking multiple years was to get a crack at a superstar - Philly ended up with 2.  That's a success.

- As expected, they were able to sign the Amir Johnsons of the world as soon as they were ready to add role players.  As expected, guys like JJ Redick were more than willing to take their money.

- Gutting their team and filling it with G-League talent paid off.  Covington ended up being an asset.  The strategy worked.

- The whole point of acquiring lots of young assets is to be able to use them for star trades - it took two regime changes, but moving Covington and Saric for Premium Brand Ricky Davis proves the process worked.

Now they are one of the East's favorites.  Probably their conference to lose.  They are set up well to target another star in free agency this Summer as they can easily free up max cap space to add a 4th star next to Simmons, Embiid and Butler.   

At this point, the discussion is over.  Philly had their first 50+ win season in like 30 years.  They are one of the best teams in the East.   Everything I admired about what Philly ownership had the balls to allow Hinkie to do ended up working.   It is what it is. They are one of our key rivals now. 

It worked.  That's the bottom line.  It's a 3-star team.  Embiid is transcendent.  The debate ended last season.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 12:59:14 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #1480 on: December 09, 2018, 12:48:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay, let's get this back on the subject of the 76ers and off the subject of individual poster's prominence at predictions or ability to promote their own selfish agendas. The blog is a better place without such crap.

« Reply #1481 on: December 09, 2018, 01:47:30 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Sixers are and will not win the east or a championship with 3 stars who cannot shoot

« Reply #1482 on: December 09, 2018, 02:14:41 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Whether you agree with it or not, LarBrd supported his point. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #1483 on: December 09, 2018, 05:25:41 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Interesting...

I wish I could dig into my memory well to take random things ya'll have said in the past out of context and post them here, but I literally can't think of a single memorable thing ever said by a non-LarBrd33 user on this forum.  Drawing a blank.  I'm sure there's something though.  Admittedly, I don't pay any attention to what goes on here anymore, but I doubt folks like the dude above has had much of value to add to this forum since he stopped being able to quote me on a daily basis.

Anyways...

Most of the examples above would have looked differently had they been developed in Boston.  Our system seems to get the most out of people.  Okafor and Noel's careers would have looked a heck of a lot different had they ended up in Boston.   All the other guys were already considered busts by the time I suggested taking a flier on them.  Likewise, they probably would have developed into better players in this system.  Boston has an elite coaching staff and developmental system.  Philly's been a pretty massive joke in how they have mishandled their young prospects - especially in the Colangelo era. 

If time has warped anyone's memory of my Philly stance - it was never about a love for a scrub coach like Brett Brown or their ability to develop talent... I was specifically a fan of their ownership group having the balls to let Sam Hinkie take a video-game approach to building a team.  Stripping it entirely, shamelessly tanking for picks, playing the odds that they'd eventually end up with a superstar.  My argument all along was that "losing culture" didn't matter and as adding competent role players was the least difficult part of the process - they could easily sign talent once they had the core pieces in place.  By far, the most important thing was getting a superstar to build around - they had been irrelevant for decades.

Reminder:

- Nerlens Noel was the cause - not the effect.  Trading their all-star for an injured Noel and a future pick (that became Dario Saric) was what allowed them to bottom out.  If you're bringing up Noel as an example of Philly failing, you don't get it.

- They tanked 3 years in a row and it net them Embiid, Okafor and Simmons.   The whole point of tanking multiple years was to get a crack at a superstar - Philly ended up with 2.  That's a success.

- As expected, they were able to sign the Amir Johnsons of the world as soon as they were ready to add role players.  As expected, guys like JJ Redick were more than willing to take their money.

- Gutting their team and filling it with G-League talent paid off.  Covington ended up being an asset.  The strategy worked.

- The whole point of acquiring lots of young assets is to be able to use them for star trades - it took two regime changes, but moving Covington and Saric for Premium Brand Ricky Davis proves the process worked.

Now they are one of the East's favorites.  Probably their conference to lose.  They are set up well to target another star in free agency this Summer as they can easily free up max cap space to add a 4th star next to Simmons, Embiid and Butler.   

At this point, the discussion is over.  Philly had their first 50+ win season in like 30 years.  They are one of the best teams in the East.   Everything I admired about what Philly ownership had the balls to allow Hinkie to do ended up working.   It is what it is. They are one of our key rivals now. 

It worked.  That's the bottom line.  It's a 3-star team.  Embiid is transcendent.  The debate ended last season.
You are fighting shadows, no one of it's right mind will think tanking is a bad strategy,Spurs tanked to get Duncan and win 5 rings and we tanked to form the 2008big3

The problem is they take pride of it(losing)

« Reply #1484 on: December 09, 2018, 08:06:22 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

being the laughing stock of the league for 3-4 years is not a success