Author Topic: Bronny James has cardiac arrest - is recovering  (Read 40891 times)

Bronny James has cardiac arrest - is recovering
« on: July 25, 2023, 11:01:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Collapsed during a workout at USC
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Bronny James has cardiac arrest - is recovering
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 11:02:48 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Wow that is so terrible. I always feel like you hear about these things with children who haven't had access to screenings in the past. Unbelievably terrible. I heard he is stable. Hope for the best.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 11:04:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Appears he is at least out of icu. I always hope they air on the side of caution with all this stuff after what happened with Lewis. Hope he is ok and has no lingering effects

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 11:11:50 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Young, athletic, has the diet of a Greek God and access to the finest health case. I dont know LeBron the father or person but he seems, from the outside looking in, runs a very tight ship. I doubt Bronny is messing with street drugs or no nonsense like that. His workouts I'm sure are not only under heavy supervision but under body measurements constantly.

I've personally thought LeBron has been using something similar to what Bonds did. Something that's ahead of its time and not detectable or even "illegal". Of course all of this could tin foil hat and Bronny had something pre-existing the public didnt know about.

ok fine

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 11:12:59 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Horrible.  My unsolicited advice:  hang up the sneakers, kid.  I know your dream is to play in the NBA, but it's not worth it.  You're set for life.  Hank Gathers, Reggie Lewis and Len Bias all come to mind.

Get well, Bronny, and my thoughts are with the James family. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 11:42:05 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Prayers to Bronny..forget about basketball, this is a young man life..hopefully everything is okay
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 12:16:08 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Obviously let's wait, but this is terrible. Was super amped to see Bronny prove people wrong.

Hate this.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 12:23:40 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Not a lot of details being reported, understandably.  Yeah, this is scary for sure.  Cardiac arrest, just the the sound of that.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 12:45:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Wonder if he got hit in chest by ball or something at exactly the wrong time (like Hamlin from the Bills).  Or isnit a heart condition or defect that effectively ends his career.  Or something else entirely.  Sad for anyone that has something like this happen, bit especially for an 18 year old with presumably a whole lotnofnlife to live.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023, 01:07:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Wonder if he got hit in chest by ball or something at exactly the wrong time (like Hamlin from the Bills).  Or isnit a heart condition or defect that effectively ends his career.  Or something else entirely.  Sad for anyone that has something like this happen, bit especially for an 18 year old with presumably a whole lotnofnlife to live.

I was trying to remember if that has happened to other basketball players and they came back? I guess the player Johnson that collapsed at Florida and is now on the okc gleague team? Especially someone like Bronny that already has tons of generational wealth I would take zero chances if there was even a one in a million chance of impacting my quality of life. It is Promising how quickly he was out and sounds like a little less time than what happened to Hamlin in terms of how long he was in icu.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 01:15:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Scary stuff.  I just always have Hank Gathers & Reggie flashbacks when I hear this.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2023, 01:37:55 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Supposedly basketball players have the highest rate of cardiac arrest among athletes. People think of Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis, but there was also Zeke Upshaw who died during a G-League game in 2018.

Also think of Shaq's son, Shareef O'Neal, who had to sit out at UCLA with a heart condition (but is back playing again).  Not sure if the risks are comparable, but his generational wealth hasn't stopped him from playing.

But as unfortunate as these situations are, always positively reminds me of former Celtic Ryan Gomes, as he was actively raising awareness for cardiac arrest and donating defibrillators to schools and gyms during his career, and directly saved a player's life because of it.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2023, 01:53:59 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Young, athletic, has the diet of a Greek God and access to the finest health case. I dont know LeBron the father or person but he seems, from the outside looking in, runs a very tight ship. I doubt Bronny is messing with street drugs or no nonsense like that. His workouts I'm sure are not only under heavy supervision but under body measurements constantly.

I've personally thought LeBron has been using something similar to what Bonds did. Something that's ahead of its time and not detectable or even "illegal". Of course all of this could tin foil hat and Bronny had something pre-existing the public didnt know about.

How about the stress of needing to do something that he isn't capable of doing? That is, filling his father's NBA shoes.

I haven't enjoyed watching Bronny's development from afar at all.... people are constantly comparing this young man to his father. It's not a conducive environment for mental health. I would be suffocating with anxiety if I were him.

As others have said, I hope him nothing but health and prosperity for the rest of his days. I see no reason to compare him to his dad. He can be himself.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2023, 02:03:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Supposedly basketball players have the highest rate of cardiac arrest among athletes. People think of Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis, but there was also Zeke Upshaw who died during a G-League game in 2018.

Also think of Shaq's son, Shareef O'Neal, who had to sit out at UCLA with a heart condition (but is back playing again).  Not sure if the risks are comparable, but his generational wealth hasn't stopped him from playing.

But as unfortunate as these situations are, always positively reminds me of former Celtic Ryan Gomes, as he was actively raising awareness for cardiac arrest and donating defibrillators to schools and gyms during his career, and directly saved a player's life because of it.

I wonder how much of the increased risk is due to conditions like Marfan Syndrome.  I read once that there was a correlation between Marfan's and NBA players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2023, 02:32:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I wonder how much of the increased risk is due to conditions like Marfan Syndrome.  I read once that there was a correlation between Marfan's and NBA players.

Of course all sorts of people love to blame the Covid vaccine.