Author Topic: Timelord extension - what is he worth?  (Read 6243 times)

Re: Timelord extension - what is he worth?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 06:56:49 AM »

Offline mig3zwo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I'll side with Birdman.

TL will never make the next big step in Boston. He could - somewhere else, me thinks. He might not be the next David Robinson, but he sure has potential.
a limbo dancer walks into a bar

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 09:27:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 10:30:44 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
C's=1+1 Player option. 3.5 million per year for 7 million total. Bet on himself getting good enough to earn a big pay day.

Or 3 years 17 million from another team.

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 06:25:37 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Really hard to say as so much can happen with months to go until that decision has to be made.
Generally Ainge does an awesome job in avoiding to overpay for roleplayers, which is one the biggest mistakes a GM can make. His assessment has been pretty good as his extensions often quickly turn out to be bargains (think of Bradley, Crowder, Smart, Brown) and when he let players go it was because they got a big payment which the Celtics rightfully so didn't match (Turner, Olynyk, Horford, Hayward).

I'm not even going to speculate on what Robert Williams will be worth in the open market since that could be 18-20 months away. Only thing I can say is that he has been playing really well and that he deserves more minutes.

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 08:14:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
C's=1+1 Player option. 3.5 million per year for 7 million total. Bet on himself getting good enough to earn a big pay day.

Or 3 years 17 million from another team.

That would be a pay cut for him.  He would be better off taking the qualifying offer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 09:10:14 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 09:30:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
https://twitter.com/SeanGrandePBP/status/1354697345594744832?s=20

Too bad Brad won’t play him more than 15mpg....
Yep.  Really wanted us to draft him but he'd be further along if he'd gone elsewhere. 

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2021, 09:44:06 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Unless he establishes himself as a legit starter capable of consistently playing 25+mpg, I don't think there's that much of a market for backup Centers like Williams

Who are his comparables?  Nerlens Noel  maybe? A guy on his 3rd contract his 3rd contract has yet to crack more than $5m in a season.

As of the current market, you can go the established vet route and sign Whiteside, Cousins, Howard, Marc Gasol, McGee all for under $5m.

You can go the reclamation project route and try your luck with Noel, Okafor, Cauley-Stein, Len, Chriss, etc, again all for under $5m, most under $3m.

Then look at most of the Centers Ainge has signed in the Stevens era outside of Horford: Theis ($5m), Kanter ($4.8m), Baynes ($4.3m-$5.5m).  Sure Ainge will sign some Centers for more (Thompson ~$9.5m, Amir Johnson $12m, Zeller $8m), but that's more to have the flexibility to use their salary for trades then it is for their production (and why those are always short term 2 year deals usually with team options/non guaranteed money).

I like the guy, would love to see him succeed, but don't think there will be a huge market for him.  Don't see him getting an extension or a long deal.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 09:55:20 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2021, 10:04:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yep.  Really wanted us to draft him but he'd be further along if he'd gone elsewhere.
Based on his injury history, I am not buying this at all.

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2021, 10:18:04 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Rob is a great energy guy off the bench. I actually like the way Brad utilizes him because you still can't trust his fundamentals enough for him to have a bigger role. The key to getting minutes as a big in Brad's system is being able to defend the pick & roll consistently, which means being able to handle switching. Rob still gets stuck in no-man's land too easily because he's not fluid laterally.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2021, 10:33:05 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

I agree.

His injury history includes not so much getting hurt playing basketball as being limited and kept out by two separate medical conditions, either one uncommon enough that a prognosis includes a hefty portion of guesswork. This will inevitably depress his market.

It’s hard to be optimistic about his long-term future. Short contracts with team options and big incentives are the way to go.

He’s unique and has put in the work.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2021, 10:56:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
At this rate... 10m per season looks like a bargain

What a game tonight.  He mini dominated.   

Good to see Brad trusting him more in late game situations.

I want to see TL alley hoop dunk on Bam

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Highlight yesterday
16pts, 13 reb. 100 percent fg percentage
https://youtu.be/m07IAY-eSOQ

Amazing game... at this rate could cost 12-15 million per season in the open market

The more mins/opportunity TL gets the better he has looked
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 01:13:37 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2021, 11:48:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I caught the Rockets feed for the game last night and they were gushing all over Brown and Timelord. Especially Timelord. They LOVED his game.

Can't disagree. I hope he plays his way into a big contract and makes that contract look like a bargain.

Gotta say, Rob is making Ainge look like a genius grabbing him that late in the 1st round. If Pritchard and Timelord pan out big time, this whole theory of Danny as a bad drafter outside top picks will be put to rest once and for all.

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2021, 12:11:58 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I caught the Rockets feed for the game last night and they were gushing all over Brown and Timelord. Especially Timelord. They LOVED his game.

Can't disagree. I hope he plays his way into a big contract and makes that contract look like a bargain.

Gotta say, Rob is making Ainge look like a genius grabbing him that late in the 1st round. If Pritchard and Timelord pan out big time, this whole theory of Danny as a bad drafter outside top picks will be put to rest once and for all.
More like luck that there are a bunch of dumb GMs.  Timelord was a late lottery/mid 1st talent.  When he started falling I wanted to trade up to get him.  Can't believe he got past the Lakers and the Sixers.