Author Topic: Timelord highlights vs Spurs - feeling giddy  (Read 20453 times)

Re: Timelord highlights vs Spurs - feeling giddy
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2019, 06:44:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The thing that make Lob so interesting is that he is not only a superb athlete BUT he is also a willing passer...

As he studies this beautiful game of basketball and continues to grow he will learn to keep the ball in play once he blocks it (ala Bill Russell)....

Dude also looks bigger in the shoulders, as if he's gained weight and been working out.

Loving his development.
I think the bolded is going to be tough. In the 50 years since Russell there have been shot blockers galore... bunches and bunches of them with athletic skills and basketball instincts better than Williams'. And in those 50 years how many have really mastered the art of blocking shots but making sure the ball stays inbound most of the time?

Not a whole lot, especially in the last couple decades where a massive block into the stands is received with as much excitement as an alley oop dunk.

Maybe years ago the skill of blocking a ball, keeping it in bounds and hopefully guide it to a team mate was taught. But not now. From high school age on, players who block shots attempt to block the ball into the stands so that play stops and the player can soak in the adulation. Crowds loving seeing big guys send the ball into the first row.

For these reasons, I just don't see Williams, or most any modern player, developing that Bill Russell skill of blocking shots.

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
The thing that make Lob so interesting is that he is not only a superb athlete BUT he is also a willing passer...

As he studies this beautiful game of basketball and continues to grow he will learn to keep the ball in play once he blocks it (ala Bill Russell)....

Dude also looks bigger in the shoulders, as if he's gained weight and been working out.

Loving his development.
I think the bolded is going to be tough. In the 50 years since Russell there have been shot blockers galore... bunches and bunches of them with athletic skills and basketball instincts better than Williams'. And in those 50 years how many have really mastered the art of blocking shots but making sure the ball stays inbound most of the time?

Not a whole lot, especially in the last couple decades where a massive block into the stands is received with as much excitement as an alley oop dunk.

Maybe years ago the skill of blocking a ball, keeping it in bounds and hopefully guide it to a team mate was taught. But not now. From high school age on, players who block shots attempt to block the ball into the stands so that play stops and the player can soak in the adulation. Crowds loving seeing big guys send the ball into the first row.

For these reasons, I just don't see Williams, or most any modern player, developing that Bill Russell skill of blocking shots.

Also not for nothing but I just thing the "excitement" factor aside its just  a really hard skill to hone. These guys are in the heat of a game, adrenaline is surging, they are often blocking shots at the very tip of their fingers. Its a lot to ask to be able to not only make these split second blocks, but control them as well.

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2019, 08:11:30 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
11 points 6 rebounds 6 blocks and 2 assists.  Robert Williams had a stat stuffer kind of night!

If he can just develop the consistency, RW can become a future starter at the 5 for the Celtics.  And that's exactly what we need going forward.

The key is to give this kind of effort consistently, makes the plays that come to you and feed off your teammates.

I like not just the individual effort but those 2 assists coming off a big man show that he has the unselfishness to make the right play and give it up to a teammate in a better position.

Hopefully RW, aka Timelord, continues to develop at a good rate.  We're going to need him in the playoffs when there will be some very important big man matchups against Giannis and Embiid respectively.  Can he continue to grow?

Most important thing is to not foul out against those type of star big men and yet limit what your opposition can do in the painted area.

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2019, 05:16:26 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I think the statement blocks have a psychological effect that will reverberate around the league and he will become even better because of the intimidation factor .He is going to alter more shots and offensive players more hesitant to enter paint .Weak side help is another dimension as well as closeouts.
Small penetrating guards have always faced height and athleticism. It is power forwards and centers, even wings that will have the hardest adjustment.
Timelord has shown some grit diving for loose balls. And his timing and positioning improving with usage and comfortability with teammates.

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2019, 05:36:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Loving his development.

FWIW Russell didn't only use his blocking ability to swat away high value attempts near the rim, he also used it to get into the heads of his opponents and make then hesitant to drive or shoot when Russell is nearby. I don't see Robert Williams ever developing that type of acumen, ntm keeping the ball inbounds during blocks.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2019, 05:59:19 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Loving his development.

FWIW Russell didn't only use his blocking ability to swat away high value attempts near the rim, he also used it to get into the heads of his opponents and make then hesitant to drive or shoot when Russell is nearby. I don't see Robert Williams ever developing that type of acumen, ntm keeping the ball inbounds during blocks.
At SAS 5/6 of balls on his blocks remained inbound.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2019, 06:16:38 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Loving his development.

THIS.

Was wondering if anyone else saw what I saw...additionally - I think there's a decent percentage of his blocks that do stay active - at least from my eye test.

Maybe someone here is tracking this stat? Would be welcome to seeing the actual percentage of his blocks staying active..

My thing is this: Never say never.

We thought we'd never see another Larry Bird or Hakeem either - then Luka Doncic and Joel Embiid happened.

Will Lob Williams ever become another Bill Russell? Sure that's quite the stretch. But I'm not placing any limits on this young fella's development towards that.

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2019, 06:26:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Loving his development.

THIS.

Was wondering if anyone else saw what I saw...additionally - I think there's a decent percentage of his blocks that do stay active - at least from my eye test.

Maybe someone here is tracking this stat? Would be welcome to seeing the actual percentage of his blocks staying active..

We thought we'd never see another Larry Bird or Hakeem either - then Luka Doncic and Joel Embiid happened.

Will Lob Williams ever become another Bill Russell? Sure that's quite the stretch. But I'm not placing any limits on this young fella's development towards that.
I do think that we shouldn't be too definitive when it comes to a young player's development, but let's be realistic - Russell's career was an onslaught of MVP seasons with a few All-Time seasons thrown in during his peak, it's very unlikely that Robert even comes close to that level of impact. And Doncic is a very different player compared to Bird, I just don't see the comparisons when one player is the greatest off ball perimeter engine ever while the other is another transcendent ball dominant quarterback in the likes of Magic/Bron/Oscar. Just going to laugh off the Hakeem/Embiid comparison, Embiid is a super poor man's Olajuwon (you're comparing a player with a peak year that only had an outside shot of winning MVP to a player with one of the best peaks among great big men), and it's not like Embiid is going to magically improve to that level with his current age (25/26 should be the close to a player's peak if it's not his best season).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2019, 06:36:58 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Guys chill.
We don't need RWIII to be a Bill Russell. Nor will he ever be that.
if he were to be Tyson Chandler we'd be smoking victor cigars daily.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2019, 06:40:24 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Loving his development.

THIS.

I do think that we shouldn't be too definitive when it comes to a young player's development, but let's be realistic - Russell's career was an onslaught of MVP seasons with a few All-Time seasons thrown in during his peak, it's very unlikely that Robert even comes close to that level of impact. And Doncic is a very different player compared to Bird, I just don't see the comparisons when one player is the greatest off ball perimeter engine ever while the other is another transcendent ball dominant quarterback in the likes of Magic/Bron/Oscar. Just going to laugh off the Hakeem/Embiid comparison, Embiid is a super poor man's Olajuwon (you're comparing a player with a peak year that only had an outside shot of winning MVP to a player with one of the best peaks among great big men), and it's not like Embiid is going to magically improve to that level with his current age (25/26 should be the close to a player's peak if it's not his best season).

Agree to disagree. And I don't make comments pertaining to "Laughing Off" anyone on this blog.

I know that with PHI there are some posters here that won't give Embiid his due because, well - he's PHI. But his skill set and comparison to ME cannot be denied.

And with Luka? Again MY eye test he reminds me so much of Larry..not going to waste time with superlatives.

Rob Williams will more than likely NOT approach Bill Russell's accomplishments - I get that. But as he improves in his own sphere he can develop a rep where our opponents will always have to be mindful of his presence.

THAT - to ME - would be Russell-like.

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Loving his development.

THIS.

Agree to disagree. And I don't make comments pertaining to "Laughing Off" anyone on this blog.

I know that with PHI there are some posters here that won't give Embiid his due because, well - he's PHI. But his skill set and comparison to ME cannot be denied.

And with Luka? Again MY eye test he reminds me so much of Larry..not going to waste time with superlatives.

Rob Williams will more than likely NOT approach Bill Russell's accomplishments - I get that. But as he improves in his own sphere he can develop a rep where our opponents will always have to be mindful of his presence.

THAT - to ME - would be Russell-like.
Sure. But I'd expect to get laughed off if I make a comparison on the lines of prime Reggie Lewis to peak Tracy McGrady. The difference between Embiid and Hakeem in terms of how good they are is huge, sure they might have some similar traits on offense (isolationist tendencies, mediocre vision and passing), but they're in different classes of big men.

You can stick to your eye test regarding how much Doncic reminds you of Larry - I won't disparage you because of it. But it'd make me think that your eye test is predicated on a player's appearance than how he actually plays, not going to waste time shouting about eye tests.

This isn't about accomplishments, I've stopped talking about them when it comes to player evaluations quite some time ago. It's simply based on how "good" a player is based on the tape I've watched on them tempered with impact metrics that aren't solely reliant on box stats, and I just don't think that Williams is likely to develop a Russell-like impact on defense. People really underrate Russell's defense - the 60s Celtics dynasty was carried by his defensive excellence. Is Williams going to have a defensive impact that causes teams to explode defensively and go from average teams to contenders (contender based on the teams' statistical performance rather than accolades, such as SRS)? I'll have to say that I'm rather skeptical on that happening. I respect your opinion, but I think it's a bit too idealistic (not that there's anything wrong with that, that's what fans do :laugh:).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2019, 09:41:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Robert Williams had his best game as a pro last Saturday. His play helped soften the blow of losing Gordon, the guy who was most in sync with Rob on lobs.

He does things on the court that are very special.

He still does dumb things. He is very young. He is still learning.

Comparisons to Bill Russell are unfair: to Russ, and to Rob. But they are well intentioned, I feel, and forgivable. (I probably said Rob reminded me of Russ a year ago and got crucified, LOL).

Let's just all count our blessings that this young man's trajectory is going in the right direction, and the possibilities of him playing center for this team are very exciting!!

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2019, 10:40:22 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
11 points 6 rebounds 6 blocks and 2 assists.  Robert Williams had a stat stuffer kind of night!

No steals on Saturday, but he’s playing half-starter’s minutes and still averaging 1.1 per game. Tiny sample size, but he didn’t just happen to be in the right spot. Great hands, uses his length and speed.

I like not just the individual effort but those 2 assists coming off a big man show that he has the unselfishness to make the right play and give it up to a teammate in a better position.

In fact he’s averaging that, in only 16 minutes per.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:51:10 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2019, 11:05:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think you might be off base saying his passing shows unselfishness. It's more like it has been drilled into him to pass the ball because his offensive game is virtually non-existent outside of being right under the basket.

Unselfish implies giving up his own shots to give others better shots. Williams doesn't have a shot to take, other than a dunk, so has been coached to move the ball, which he does decently, for a big man.

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2019, 11:22:57 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
For those who were Robinson fans over Williams, and watch Robinson get highlights for a lottery team last year while Williams rode the bench for a playoff team.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Mitchell+Robinson&player_id1_select=Mitchell+Robinson&player_id1=robinmi01&y1=2020&player_id2_hint=Robert+Williams&player_id2_select=Robert+Williams&y2=2020&player_id2=williro04&idx=players

I think you could argue that Williams is producing better this year than Robinson. More efficient. Way more steals. Way more assists. Higher BPM.