Author Topic: JJ Barea ejected for "flagrant 2 foul" on Ray Allen... (Ray flops big time)  (Read 17740 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
As others have noted above, that wasn't a flop.  It wasn't ejection-worthy, but it was unnecessary contact.

Some fans hate Ray Allen so much that they see things that aren't there, huh?

I'd say I hate Judas Shuttlesworth enough to wish it was Dwight Howard doing the shoving instead of JJ Barea.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Offensive foul on Ray in the first place, and a regular foul, without even a glimpse of doubt of being a f1 let alone a f2...
why don't they fine refs for bad calls, it would make any sport so much better
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

I cannot understand your defense of Ray, Roy!!

I don't see imaginary flops just because the player who was legitimately fouled left my favorite team?

How aboyt the charging after him and saying theres "no place in the game for that"?

Really theres no place in the game for physicality? Again Pierce, kg, kobe or any other real competitor wouldnt be crying like that after the game.

Who knows though he may have been rambling on at one of those media sessions that he so adores

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Love Barea for his response. I agree with that poster who said he has lost all respect for #20. I used to love him. Love watching him play. It's just embarrassing now. Studio gangsters, man.

You respect Barea, but not Ray?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcHt1hrYe_I

Not speaking for bucknersrevenge, but for me, my enemy's enemy is my friend.

I just find all the false outrage to be comical.

Fans are really up in arms about an alleged flop by Ray (which wasn't a flop at all, in my opinion) at the hands of J.J. Barea, one of the biggest floppers in the NBA? 

Let's just say that if Ray hadn't switched teams this past off-season, many of the thoughts expressed toward Barea in this thread would be the exact opposite.

Ray, I mean Roy, (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I have much respect for you, your opinions and all that you bring to this board in terms of level-headedness and fairness.), the outrage isn't about this play/call, it is just a manifestation of the loathing and contempt,  that many of us feel is justified for what the Diva has done to his friends (esp. KG/PP) and the Celtic fans who took exception to what he did.

The emotions that this subject and the Diva evoke are very visceral and therefore very subjective. We all look at things through a different lens, rarely more so than when "gut feelings" are involved.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
the outrage isn't about this play/call, it is just a manifestation of the loathing and contempt,  that many of us feel is justified ...

That's all I'm saying.  I get that Ray can do no right in the eyes of many fans.  I just don't think this was a "big time" flop, or a flop at all.  The perception of many that Ray did something wrong (at least on the initial foul) is colored by the fact that they don't like the guy.  That causes them to see something that isn't there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
What's JJ, about 5'8" 175lb?   

granted probably a F1 because JJ didn't make any play on the ball -- but come on now -- if it's a pickup game at the Y that guy doesn't fall flat to the ground

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Love Barea for his response. I agree with that poster who said he has lost all respect for #20. I used to love him. Love watching him play. It's just embarrassing now. Studio gangsters, man.

You respect Barea, but not Ray?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcHt1hrYe_I

Not speaking for bucknersrevenge, but for me, my enemy's enemy is my friend.

I just find all the false outrage to be comical.

Fans are really up in arms about an alleged flop by Ray (which wasn't a flop at all, in my opinion) at the hands of J.J. Barea, one of the biggest floppers in the NBA? 

Let's just say that if Ray hadn't switched teams this past off-season, many of the thoughts expressed toward Barea in this thread would be the exact opposite.

What makes the outrage false again?? You mean because YOU said it's false? And who is outraged by the way? Got it. So no chance anyone could sincerely think Ray was being overly dramatic about a bump from a guy half his size. Flew off his feet and then got up like he was gonna do something about it. Again, Barea flopped in your video. No fake bravado from him after the play and no one got kicked out of the game after that play either. That's the real issue.

And Roy take a gander at the entire thread. More people than not are saying that it should have been called. It doesn't matter what team Ray plays for or that he left. That sounds like a personal issue.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:47:06 PM by bucknersrevenge »
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
methinks that guy needs to make a trip to the anti-aging clinic if the smallest guy in the L can knock him over so easily...

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
What makes the outrage false again?? You mean because YOU said it's false? And who is outraged by the way? Got it. So no chance anyone could sincerely think Ray was being overly dramatic about a bump from a guy half his size.

I agree that the outrage is real, rather than false.  I think someone can be sincere about believing Ray Allen flopped.  I just have a hard time believing anyone can be sincere and intelligent/well-informed while doing so.  Would you rather be accused of disingenuously dialing up the hate or of being a moron?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My take on the situation:

-Clear offensive foul by Ray intially (Barea did embellish the contact however)

-Clear flagrant foul by Barea afetrwards, he made zero attempt to make a play on the ball.  If anything, it looked like a textbook shoulder check you'd see in a hockey game.

-No way it should have been a flagrant 2, but given the circumstance, I'm not suprised.  The NBA seems to go out of their way to de-escalate any situation with the potential for further altercations.

-Miami once again, gets the benefit of a bad call.  Had the official simply called the original offensive foul on Ray, the rest never happens.

-Bottom line: Barea shouldn't have reacted in the manner he did.  A missed called on a play like this is no excuse to throw shoulder into someone, it's a dirty play.  That said, I absolutely loved it.  Seeing Ray get punked like that was sweet.

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Yeah a 5 foot 9 170 pound guy can knock out a 6 foot 5 dude.

Yeah right....

Jesus Floppersworth

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Lol, the NBA is so soft and such a joke now. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

If it wasn't for the Celtics, I probably couldn't deal with the NBA anymore. Stern's retirement can't come too soon, though Silver will probably be just like him.

So true, rock.

As The Who (who "won't get fooled again" like so many of Stern apologists) sing:

"Meet the new boss, ....."

Good one! TP
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Windhorst says officially downgraded to a #1. Marvels at Malloy still getting late playoff games.

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
"The video has been removed by the user"

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
My take on the situation:

-Clear offensive foul by Ray intially (Barea did embellish the contact however)

-Clear flagrant foul by Barea afetrwards, he made zero attempt to make a play on the ball.  If anything, it looked like a textbook shoulder check you'd see in a hockey game.

-No way it should have been a flagrant 2, but given the circumstance, I'm not suprised.  The NBA seems to go out of their way to de-escalate any situation with the potential for further altercations.

-Miami once again, gets the benefit of a bad call.  Had the official simply called the original offensive foul on Ray, the rest never happens.

-Bottom line: Barea shouldn't have reacted in the manner he did.  A missed called on a play like this is no excuse to throw shoulder into someone, it's a dirty play.  That said, I absolutely loved it.  Seeing Ray get punked like that was sweet.

Right on with all of this. I'll add that I think Barea got it bumped up to a flagrant two because he looked Allen right in the eye and screamingly called him  a... well.. an effing kitten... so many times after the foul that there was really no way you could put him back on the court after that. Allen wouldn't have gotten dirty, but you better believe that another heat player would have tried to kill him.