Author Topic: Lakers salary cap situation  (Read 8806 times)

Re: Lakers salary cap situation
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 12:57:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
They won't have enough cap space for a max signing now even once this trade is processed on July 6.

The best they could have is 27.7M in cap space assuming AD waives his trade bonus. Otherwise, it's 23.7M

Woj himself has said that recently along with many others.

I think they could clear a little more space with renouncing cap holds on others but I mean... they LITERALLY only have 5 guys under contract right now (AD, LBJ, Kuz, Bonga, Wagner).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 12:59:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
They won't have enough cap space for a max signing now even once this trade is processed on July 6.

The best they could have is 27.7M in cap space assuming AD waives his trade bonus. Otherwise, it's 23.7M

I think they could clear a little more space with renouncing cap holds on others but I mean... they LITERALLY only have 5 guys under contract right now (AD, LBJ, Kuz, Bonga, Wagner).

UPDATE: According to Bobby Marks, good chance AD DOES NOT waive that trade kicker, so basically it'll leave LAL with 23.7M in cap space. No chance that gets them a Kyrie/Kemba/Kawhi/KD/Butler. Maybe Cousins?

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 01:12:18 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

UPDATE: According to Bobby Marks, good chance AD DOES NOT waive that trade kicker, so basically it'll leave LAL with 23.7M in cap space. No chance that gets them a Kyrie/Kemba/Kawhi/KD/Butler. Maybe Cousins?
Only if they are stupid.  They need guards and wings not another big.  Beverly would be a good fit and he shouldn't be too expensive. 

If the trade goes through on the 6th, I think that means they are working as a cap space team which would mean they'd only have the room MLE not the taxpayer MLE.   

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 01:29:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
THis whole thing is a massive reach.

They will use their 32.5 mil in cap space to sign one of kyrie, kemba, butler or kawhi.  Count on it.  It’s a lock. 

After that is done, they will finalize the trade. 

Don’t buy into this nonsense, because you’re going to feel foolish and angry when the lakers form their big 3.  They wouldn’t have agreed to give up a package like that if they weren’t going to be able to add a 3rd star.  There’s no sneaky “gotcha” from the Pels. This is all part of the handshake agreement. It’s happening.  Expect it. 

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Only if they are stupid.  They need guards and wings not another big.  Beverly would be a good fit and he shouldn't be too expensive. 

If the trade goes through on the 6th, I think that means they are working as a cap space team which would mean they'd only have the room MLE not the taxpayer MLE.

Yeah, agreed. Cousins would fit around that level of money, but not only is that a skeptical fit, but they desperately need more perimeter guys, especially perimeter shooting.

The smart play would be to go for the Beverly/Collison types at the 1 and the Seth Curry/Redick types at the 2 and try and fill out the roster with those kinds of guys.

But I mean, does anyone really see them becoming true contenders this year with that weak of a supporting cast? I just don’t see it, especially given that you can’t ride James all season long at his age anymore and you can almost count on at least 15 games or so of AD being out with minor injuries.

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah, agreed. Cousins would fit around that level of money, but not only is that a skeptical fit, but they desperately need more perimeter guys, especially perimeter shooting.

The smart play would be to go for the Beverly/Collison types at the 1 and the Seth Curry/Redick types at the 2 and try and fill out the roster with those kinds of guys.

But I mean, does anyone really see them becoming true contenders this year with that weak of a supporting cast? I just don’t see it, especially given that you can’t ride James all season long at his age anymore and you can almost count on at least 15 games or so of AD being out with minor injuries.

With KD out for the year and Klay likely out for most of it, I think that opens up the West a bit more, and obviously the Lakers are a part of that top group (w/Houston, Denver, Golden State, maybe OKC/POR).

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 01:37:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

They will use their 32.5 mil in cap space to sign one of kyrie, kemba, butler or kawhi.  Count on it.  It’s a lock. 

Don’t buy into this nonsense, because you’re going to feel foolish and angry when the lakers form their big 3.  They wouldn’t have agreed to give up a package like that if they weren’t going to be able to add a 3rd star.  There’s no sneaky “gotcha” from the Pels. This is all part of the handshake agreement. It’s happening.  Expect it.

I’m serious guys.  Don’t waste a second of effort on this thread past this point.  Free agency opens on July 1.  They will have a week to pick their 3rd guy.  Free agents can sign on July 6.  They will sign a max star for 32.5 mil and then officially submit this trade. 

It’s happening.  Expect it. 

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 01:42:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I’m serious guys.  Don’t waste a second of effort on this thread past this point.  Free agency opens on July 1.  They will have a week to pick their 3rd guy.  Free agents can sign on July 6.  They will sign a max star for 32.5 mil and then officially submit this trade. 

Where are you getting the 32.5M from? And how are they filling in the rest of their roster even after the addition? They still need 6-7 more players to fill out.

Anyways, I think they are getting either Butler or Cousins.

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 02:04:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Where are you getting the 32.5M from? And how are they filling in the rest of their roster even after the addition? They still need 6-7 more players to fill out.

Look at their cap situation pre-trade.  They will have 32.5 mil to sign a player on July 6th.   The pelicans trade will be finalized sometime after that.

They then fill out the roster with min level guys like rondo.

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 02:42:36 PM »

Online CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Look at their cap situation pre-trade.  They will have 32.5 mil to sign a player on July 6th.   The pelicans trade will be finalized sometime after that.

So you think that 3 max players plus roughly 10 minimums can win a title?

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 02:56:00 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think we need some clarification here about the actual real cap situation. I had heard all along the $32.5M #, but Phantom is providing evidence that the # will actually be lower than that...and that AD will not waive his trade kicker. Is this because of cap holds (and there will be a lot of them) that haven't been taken into account or is it something else?

I want to believe the lower # (because that will limit LAL), but I want to be sure before I can celebrate.

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 03:05:24 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think we need some clarification here about the actual real cap situation. I had heard all along the $32.5M #, but Phantom is providing evidence that the # will actually be lower than that...and that AD will not waive his trade kicker. Is this because of cap holds (and there will be a lot of them) that haven't been taken into account or is it something else?

I want to believe the lower # (because that will limit LAL), but I want to be sure before I can celebrate.

Thing is the ad tradd kicker doesnt matter if they wait to finalize the deal till after free agency. They will use their cap space then complete the deal, meaning they have enough for a max or close.

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 03:12:37 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

So you think that 3 max players plus roughly 10 minimums can win a title?

With how weak the West is and with no injuries to Davis, max player #3, and LeBron putting up idk 2012 numbers, yeah. This is LeBron we talking about- 8 straight NBA Finals appearances.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 11:17:24 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
What does this mean for their available cap space to sign another free agent?

Fletcher Mackel Retweeted

Shamit Dua
@FearTheBrown
·
19h
AD not waiving his kicker to get to his preferred destination is wonderful. Also go Rich Paul. Get your client the money he's losing out.
Quote Tweet

ShowtimeForum
@ShowtimeForum
 · 19h
"We've been told that Anthony Davis will take his $4M trade kicker so they'll have around $24M to fill out the rest of their roster."

@BobbyMarks42 | 🎙@ESPNLosAngeles

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Davis already took his trade kicker, so that means the 32.5 is no longer possible right?