Author Topic: Anyone else sick of FIBA?  (Read 31251 times)

Re: Anyone else sick of FIBA?
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2010, 01:09:27 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Which sport has the same rules in all the leagues?

MLB.  AL has a DH.  NL does not.
College baseball allows metal bats.

Hockey.  NHL has a smaller ice rink then the international game. 

And the number 1 sport in the US (NFL) has different rules then the number 2 sport in the US (College Football)

Two feet vs. one foot inbounds.
Overtime rules.

replay rules.

Not to mention Canadian football and Arena Football

Why should basketball be any different?

Also, if the rules are set to hurt the most talented, why is the US still cruising?  Why do many find it uninteresting because the lack of drama that the US could lose at any moment?   

Switch to NBA rules, and the drama drops even more.

Well I wouldn't say many. I'm clearly in the minority here. I just see it as what the NBA was in the late 70's early 80's. A time period that was marred by lots of brawls and physical altercations and led to for me anyways really ugly to watch basketball. Some like the real physical play. I personally like some physical play but stoping fast breaks with hip checks with no penalty such as a foul shot and the ball back doesn't make much sense to me. It detracts from the players who are actually skilled because in my opinion they are more easily neutralized by the physicality. I'd rather see the gorgeous finish then the ball taken out on the side. Just me tho.

The thing is you'd never see the gorgeous finish.  You'd see a player shooting 2 free throws and another player on the bench.

It's like how often do we see Perk or KG pick up 2 quick fouls and have to sit on the bench for the most of the rest of the half?  Does that really help the game?

Greece/Serbia brawl is a lot more entertaining than Kobe shooting 2 free throws and KG on the bench with 2 quick fouls.

And somebody pages ago complained about travel calls.  It's a shame when the refs actual call legit travels and don't let players get away with the extra steps  ::) If i had the time it would be 'cue the LeBron traveling clips now' and I'd post the clips lol.

See that's the point I'm making. Your right either way it's gonna end up with a foul to stop the break. But the penalty in the NBA for doing that is the team on the fastbreak gets foul shots and the ball back which to me makes a lot of sense. In the FIBA game there's no penalty it's just a foul and the ball is inbounded from the sideline. So there's no thinking twice on the defenders part. It's just stop the ball by any means neccasary. This can lead to flagrant fouls bad blood the whole nine. But more so it just takes away from the artistry and highlight film play of the game. At least in the NBA your forced to make a decision. Let the guy get his two points and make it up on the other end. Or foul on the break stop it but the other team gets foul shots and the ball back. I prefer the NBA stance to this rule cause it opens up the floor and playing style. And if not at least there's a penalty. And the other team has to think about doing the same thing again.

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2010, 02:15:34 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Hooligan,

When I first saw this thread, I found the tenor of it to be a little to jingoistic for my liking, but I just TP'd you for your dogged persistence in spite of overwhelming dissent. 

I've got to give you credit for your good ole' American stick-to-it-iveness even if I do vehemently disagree with your overall premise.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2010, 02:23:41 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Lol what can I say? This blog could use a hooligan or two.

« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2010, 02:25:16 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Dark Lord said:
[i]b]how can we expect international play to uphold the same rules as "us", when we cant even have consistent rules in the same sport within our country (different rules for nba, d-league, ncaa, high school, etc) ?!?!?![/i][/b]

----------------

lol true.
......Not to mention different rules for different players in the same league.

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2010, 07:55:30 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Dark Lord said:
[i]b]how can we expect international play to uphold the same rules as "us", when we cant even have consistent rules in the same sport within our country (different rules for nba, d-league, ncaa, high school, etc) ?!?!?![/i][/b]

----------------

lol true.
......Not to mention different rules for different players in the same league.
And also depending on the interpretation of any given referee...at different times in the same game! ::)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!