Author Topic: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons  (Read 28204 times)

Re: anybody else glad we have jaylen over simmons
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2016, 10:27:44 AM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
nice post but jaylens attitude towards academia makes easier to fit in boston and be happy with the city with ALL its students
jalens desire to play defense  and physicality fits with crowder,rozier,smart
bill russel is a man of black history as well as basketball-brad is considered avery bright coach and danny has full support of some young happy owners
-the fact that the legends still come back and just pop in as well as have spread throughout league and media
-his mentor isiah loves the celts-
i have played under those banners in old garden it is awe inspiring
boston sports and fans are world class
as to conjecture and asumptions-simmons wanted to go to LA is playing for a loser while boston is competing,upward trending program
you already had marcus and jaylen working out and competing
jaylen has larger wingspan and standing reach
simmons can pass but doesn't stretch the floor
,simmons can move laterally but is he motivated to play defense
in the end simmons is in philly and we got jaylen AT 6-7 WITH 7 FOOT WINGSPAN PLAYS DEFENSE AND STRONG,FAST GREAT IN TRANSITION the cap change was accidental but i left it

" jaylens attitude towards academia makes easier to fit in Boston and be happy with the city with ALL its students" This is a real a stretch to use this as an argument for Brown over Simmons

You can't blame Simmons for playing for a loser. He has no choice as to where he was drafted. Would you say the thing about Brown if he was on the 76rs and Simmons was on the Cs?

"simmons can pass but doesn't stretch the floor" Brown cannot stretch the floor either

« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2016, 10:33:14 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brown can stretch the floor bc he showed he can make the open 3. Made 70 out of 100 3 pt shots at the workouts. Lets see how many simmons could make

« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2016, 10:38:01 AM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
Brown can stretch the floor bc he showed he can make the open 3. Made 70 out of 100 3 pt shots at the workouts. Lets see how many simmons could make

He also shot .294 in college and .272 in summer league so id say in game he has pretty definitively shown he can not. That doesn't mean he cant improve but hes def shown hes poor 3pt shooter in games.

« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
jaylen will establish roots in boston, a connection that will keep him here-not like okc or utah or minnesota or even miami beach or lakers-
i loved boston and miss it every day-a great place to be young

« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2016, 10:56:11 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
nice post but jaylens attitude towards academia makes easier to fit in boston and be happy with the city with ALL its students
bill russel is a man of black history as well as basketball-brad is considered avery bright coach and danny has full support of some young happy owners
-the fact that the legends still come back and just pop in as well as have spread throughout league and media
as to conjecture and asumptions-simmons wanted to go to LA is playing for a loser while boston is competing,upward trending program
in the end simmons is in philly and we got jaylen AT 6-7 WITH 7 FOOT WINGSPAN PLAYS DEFENSE AND STRONG,FAST GREAT IN TRANSITION the cap change was accidental but i left it

" jaylens attitude towards academia makes easier to fit in Boston and be happy with the city with ALL its students" This is a real a stretch to use this as an argument for Brown over Simmons

You can't blame Simmons for playing for a loser. He has no choice as to where he was drafted. Would you say the thing about Brown if he was on the 76rs and Simmons was on the Cs?

"simmons can pass but doesn't stretch the floor" Brown cannot stretch the floor either
he can stretch the floor more than simmons

Simmons looks like he doesn't even want to shoot

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that brown is a better prospect than simmons, but simmons has more work to be done one his jumper than jaylen
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2016, 11:44:06 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

He also shot .294 in college and .272 in summer league so id say in game he has pretty definitively shown he can not. That doesn't mean he cant improve but hes def shown hes poor 3pt shooter in games.

Those pesky facts again ...
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2016, 11:46:03 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I made 68 yesterday.

I'm 50 years old and no threat to play in the NBA.

Workouts are meaningless.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2016, 12:47:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that brown is a better prospect than simmons, but simmons has more work to be done one his jumper than jaylen
I saw a youtube video.  Simmons made 5 of 6 three pointers.  He is better than Curry obviously.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

I made 68 yesterday.

I'm 50 years old and no threat to play in the NBA.

Workouts are meaningless.
which would raise the question of why nba teams bother with such meaningless exercises.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2016, 01:45:58 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Simmons is the more valuable player right now. That is almost certain.

But I'd like for someone to name me the last all-time great big man who was as bad a defender as he is.

You'd think the fans of the franchise that won titles with Russell, Cowens, Parrish, McHale, and KG would realize this.

ESPN can run highlight reels of his dunks all day long, but the concerns about Simmons are legit. Soft players tend to stay soft. And soft players don't lead teams to championships.

Who are the soft players in the league besides kevin love?
Pau Gasol and Dirk Nowitzki were soft players.  I seem to recall a number of championships from those two guys. 

Of course I have no idea why anyone would call Simmons soft.

LOL. Simmons is soft because he plays soft, Watch some tape, he doesn't compete on defense. He gets passive when faced with real opposition. He's all about the stats. But by all means, believe the hype. ESPN loves it.

Pau was a good defender in his prime. He was long with good timing. Simmons has a long way to go to sniff that level.

Yes, Dirk is soft. So you got me there. But of the dozens of historically great big men only a couple were bad defenders like Simmons. It's a really bad sign if you're expecting a legit superstar. Simmons will never be as good as Novitzky offensively, BTW. Not enough polish, too many holes. His shooting and lack of true post scoring could kill his ability to became the offensively transcendent player who can overcome his defensive deficiencies.

And I don't see the killer instinct the great players have. A lot of bling, not much fire. Doesn't sound like a recipe for a champion to me, unless he's riding someone else's coattails.

I don't see any evidence to suggest Simmons lacks defensive 'talent' - any question marks usually revolve around motor and effort rather then natural ability.  Pretty much every scouting report I've seen states that he has very high upside as a defender thanks to his overall combination of height, length, strength, vertical and mobility.  I don't see any signs suggesting he lacks potential on that end IF he was bothered to put in the effort.

Bosh
Dirk
Durant
Griffin
Amare
Aldridge
Al Jefferson
Carmelo (played a lot at the PF spot)

Just a handful of big men off the top of my head who have been legitimate stars (and in some cases superstars) despite not being especially good (or aggressive) defenders.

I'm sure I could come up with many more if I were to sit and think longer about it.

Simmons for a big man is an elite athlete, an elite passer, an elite ball handler, an elite rebounder, has elite defensive versatility, elite basketball IQ and is an elite rim runner. 

He is a post game and a jump shot away from being one of the most dominate offensive players of this generation.  If he adds those tools he will be utterly indefensible, and at 19 years of age there's nothing to suggest he wont.

Worst case he develops into a rich man's Lamar Odom / Toni Kukoc - that's a pretty darn good floor.  Best case he developes into a poor man's (yes, I said poor mans - just to avoid flam wars) version of Magic Johnson.

Jaylen Brown's best case is probably Dominique Wilkins, his 'average' case is probably Gerald Wallace, and his worst case is something like a Michael Kidd Gilchrist.  Still pretty good scenarios, but neither his ceiling nor his floor are as high as Simmons.

Basically the only way Brown becomes better is if Simmons never exceeds his floor, and Brown reaches his absolute ceiling. It's possible, but unlikely.

I don't doubt Simmons has a great chance at making multiple all-star teams. But I don't see a true two-way superstar in the making here.

The fact Simmons' effort level is already in question should speak for itself. Yes, he has plenty of room to grow. I don't see that as a positive, as his effort and defensive IQ are the reasons he is mediocre on D in the first place. With the all-time greats you don't need to question their effort. They're just wired that way.

I guess there's some small chance he'll be Scottie Pippen or LeBron James on D.

But I think he's more from the Amare Stoudemire and Blake Griffin School of Defense. The real glory is at the offensive end, right? Running the break, throwing down monster dunks. Getting on ESPN.

As for your list, Bosh is a good defender. We learned that firsthand watching him against the Celtics. So scratch him.

The rest of those guys are not, it's arguably a list of underachievers (Btw don't be surprised if the LaMarcus Aldridge era in San Antonio is a little disappointing). They have one championship among them (Dirk, who is terrific and transcendent). Aside from Dirk they also aren't all-time great players, a point which was essential to my critique of Simmons in the first place. Almost all of the all-time great big men were good-to-great defenders. I don't see that type of defensive fire in Simmons.

here's my list of all-time greats, all except Dirk and Barkley were at least good defenders IMO, and Barkley was very physical.
Russell
Chamberlain
Kareem
Walton
Moses
McHale
Barkley
Olajuwon
Robinson
Karl Malone
Ewing
Shaq
Duncan
KG
Dirk
Davis (jury is still out)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:06:32 PM by kraidstar »

« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2016, 02:01:42 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
I've actually just thought of who Jaylen Brown reminds me of as a player!

He actually remind me a LOT of Gerald Wallace.

Similar body type - check
Outstanding athlete - check
Questionable jump shot - check
Average handles - check
Decent but not great passing ability - check
High potential as a defender - check
Excellent rebounder for position - check
Very aggressive style of play - check

The guys could be clones.

Also before anybody criticizes me for this, remember that in his prime Gerald Wallace was actually a very good player.   Over a four years stretch in his prime he averaged around 18 PPG / 8 RPG / 2.5 APG / 2 SPG / 1 BPG and shot around 47% / 32% / 72%. 

I think he's a darn near perfect comparison for Brown.

Brown has way more potential as a slasher than Wallace. He is more athletic, finishes around the rim, and draws fouls at a high rate. The rest of their game projects to be similar, though.

I'd be happy with an elite slashing Gerald Wallace.

A better comparison for Wallace is our own Jae Crowder. Good defenders, very physical, jump shot could be better. Both were also picked relatively late in the draft.

Wallace's per-36 numbers at age 25 for charlotte were
.449 fg/.321 3pt/.721 ft
18.2 pts / 5.7 reb/ 3.3 ast / .9 blk / 2.0 stl / 2.7 TO / 2.9 PF

Crowder at age 25  for boston
.443 fg/.336 3pt/.820 ft
16.8 pts/5.8 reb/2.1 ast / .5 blk / 2.0 stl / .5 TO / 3.1 PF

« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2016, 02:32:14 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

I saw a youtube video.  Simmons made 5 of 6 three pointers.  He is better than Curry obviously.

First, aren't you sixers fan? If so, what are you doing here? I recall you trolling half the time.

Second, yes it's clear Simmons is better and the other dude is wearing green goggles. But let's not try to act like this is the most absurd thread in the world because at the end of the day Brown has a lot of upside. His first step is better than Simmons for example. He's just really raw. Both are terrible at offense. Simmons is a better ball handler and passer. Simmons is also an old college freshman by the way.

Third, as the Celtics front office mentioned, if you ave. his career high school 3pt. % with College, it's 35%. That's a fact.

« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2016, 03:22:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

First, aren't you sixers fan? If so, what are you doing here? I recall you trolling half the time.

Second, yes it's clear Simmons is better and the other dude is wearing green goggles. But let's not try to act like this is the most absurd thread in the world because at the end of the day Brown has a lot of upside. His first step is better than Simmons for example. He's just really raw. Both are terrible at offense. Simmons is a better ball handler and passer. Simmons is also an old college freshman by the way.

Third, as the Celtics front office mentioned, if you ave. his career high school 3pt. % with College, it's 35%. That's a fact.

He isn't a 76ers fan. However, he does have a decidedly pro view of the 76ers and Cavaliers, particularly with respect to Lebron James while having an overly pessimistic view of the Celtics players. I remember one of the more bizarre exchanges he made was an entire thread talking up the 76ers role players.

« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2016, 03:34:12 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Those pesky facts again ...

Dude, you've been wrong on most of your takes so far...Just a friendly reminder

« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2016, 03:36:17 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
jaylen will establish roots in boston, a connection that will keep him here-not like okc or utah or minnesota or even miami beach or lakers-
i loved boston and miss it every day-a great place to be young

If only Miami or LA had recent histories of retaining SGs for long portions of their career.