Poll

What is the worst decade for television?

1950s
9 (29%)
1960s
0 (0%)
1970s
2 (6.5%)
1980s
3 (9.7%)
1990s
2 (6.5%)
2000s
15 (48.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: What is the worst decade for television?  (Read 11645 times)

What is the worst decade for television?
« on: July 30, 2009, 09:28:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This one by far. There were 7 reality shows on Tuesday nite and it wasn't even that dancing show.

They were something like a bunch of people living in a house

a sumo wrestler dating girls bigger than NFL offensive lineman after a trip to the buffet

some other dating thing

An Obama impersonator being judged by David Hassellhoff, Sharon Osborne, and nobody

and I didn't stick around long enough to find out what the others were

Not long ago you could watch an entire week of shows with actors and plots. I can't believe I'm going to have to pull out history books to explain that to my kid.

Why does talent no longer exist?

Re: What is the worst decade for television?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 09:50:53 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
It's summer... tv programming is usually weak during this time.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Reality shows will be the death of good television. It's almost already too far gone.

But, I also think the Oh-Oh's had some really excelent TV. HBO, I mean wow. 6 Feet Under, Deadwood, Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, True Blood, Entourage, Whatever that Larry David show is that is escaping me, Sopranos...and the mother of television in the 00's, The Wire.

That's just HBO. Battlestar Galactica, Brotherhood..the list goes on.

I'm watchin Burn Notice, what you got?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Maybe you should have said "network television", because there's a lot of interesting stuff on cable.

What was the average TV lineup in the fifties?  I can't imagine it was better than the options we have today.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:07:50 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 09:57:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Just because there is an abundance of crappy reality shows it doesn't mean that there's a lack of good shows. In fact, with the abundance of tv shows in the 2000s, it could hardly be considered the worst decade. Can we say, overreaction?

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 09:58:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Maybe you should have said "network television", because there's a lot of interesting stuff on cable.

What was the average TV lineup in the fifties?  I can't imagine it was pretty that the options we have today.

That is a very good point Roy, but you also can't have it both ways. I mean Nick at Nite can just play the old shows and then you could claim that now is the best time ever but if you have 200 channels then the average channel would be worse.

You win this round on a technicality. I wouldn't give up ESPN and the History channel to go back to the 50s, but if they just reran shows in prime time to a whole generation that hasn't seen them I bet they'd do better than some of the stuff on tv now.

What I wouldn't give for them to bring back Kung Fu

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
This assumes there is one tv in the house. If your wife is watching 2 hours of a dancing reality show Wed nite and then another hour Thurs nite, and then American Idiot, I mean Idol, starts up a week later then TV has definitely suffered

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 10:01:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

What was the average TV lineup in the fifties?  I can't imagine it was pretty that the options we have today.

That is a very good point Roy, but you also can't have it both ways. I mean Nick at Nite can just play the old shows and then you could claim that now is the best time ever but if you have 200 channels then the average channel would be worse.

You win this round on a technicality. I wouldn't give up ESPN and the History channel to go back to the 50s, but if they just reran shows in prime time to a whole generation that hasn't seen them I bet they'd do better than some of the stuff on tv now.

I have wanted to find a free place to watch Kung Fu on line for a year. Luck? None.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 10:03:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I have wanted to find a free place to watch Kung Fu on line for a year. Luck? None.

It took me a long time, but I got the pilot at a thrift store for a dollar like a month ago.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 10:13:02 PM »

Offline houseonfire09

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • Thank you Eddie!
The 00's, by far.  Cable channels have started to lose what their original identities were (see: MTV, Cartoon Network, ESPN, etc.)  and we have an overflow of unwatchable "reality" TV and police/medical drama shows on the "big 4" networks.  To anyone mentioning HBO shows, the problem I have with that is while it still may be great TV, you have to pay premium prices that many can't afford or don't want to pay.  Don't even get me started on the 24-hour news cycle.
"If David Stern ran the NHL, is there any chance his meal ticket's team would blow a Game 7 in Round 1? Put a pair of skates on Dick Bavetta!" -Bill Simmons

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 10:19:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
There is more 'crap' now, but there are just a lot more options in general- for all tastes, so I agree with Roy- the 50s probably shouldn't be an option, because they obviously lose, but 'I Love Lucy' will always be one of the greats...

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
...and for the record, I think the 80s are the best...they had the best sitcoms (Golden Girls, Cosby, Facts of Life, Punky Brewster :0) best gameshows, Mtv actually showed videos back then, and sports were very accessible...

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 10:41:30 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I have to agree with Hobbs, I typically watch (in no particular order) the various History Channels, SyFy, DIY, the Military Channel, and then whatever sports channels. I rarely watch network television.  It's awful.

More importantly however, I read.

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 10:57:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I have to agree with Hobbs, I typically watch (in no particular order) the various History Channels, SyFy, DIY, the Military Channel, and then whatever sports channels. I rarely watch network television.  It's awful.

More importantly however, I read.

There is a military channel?

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 11:16:56 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Reality shows will be the death of good television. It's almost already too far gone.

But, I also think the Oh-Oh's had some really excelent TV. HBO, I mean wow. 6 Feet Under, Deadwood, Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, True Blood, Entourage, Whatever that Larry David show is that is escaping me, Sopranos...and the mother of television in the 00's, The Wire.

That's just HBO. Battlestar Galactica, Brotherhood..the list goes on.

I'm watchin Burn Notice, what you got?

Gospel....TP IndeedProceed...any decade with the Wire is not eligible for worst.

In Simmons and Chris Connolly podcast last week they debated the defining movie of the 2000's and decided there wasnt one and it really is The Wire.

Also, Burn Notice is the ish
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp