Author Topic: Path to victory?  (Read 5581 times)

Path to victory?
« on: April 23, 2019, 07:09:24 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
How to we beat the Bucks?  Obviously would be nice to slow down Giannis but that is easier said than done.  That said, do we dust off Semi?  I'd actually lean toward that as I do not like the Baynes on Lopez.  And would rather not have Horford on Giannis full time as that could wear him out.  So that leads me to playing Horford at the five and, gulp, Semi to take some time on Giannis.

Obviously the supporting players need to step up (i.e., anyone not named Kyrie).  In the last two games against the pacers, they were dead set on slowing Kyrie down.  And it pretty much worked.  They blitzed him on every screen and tried to double him as much as possible. 

We won because the other players took advantage of that strategy.  If the bucks try the same thing, Kyrie needs to be prepared to play facilitator.  He may need to relish that role even.

Re: Path to victory?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 07:53:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Mentality.

That is the key.

Just like those storied BOS teams of old our path to success is NO DIFFERENT from theirs....

Even with Marcus Smart this Celtics Team was going to be heavy underdogs - ONCE AGAIN. Won't be the first time the media counted BOS out - won't be the last.

This team - AS IS - CAN beat MIL.

Must make things tough for Giannis...he is a Stud but we can make things difficult for him. Build Defensive Walls...clog the middle. Stop him on the breaks...slow the game down.

Giannis gets hyped when he can get on the break...that is when he is strongest. Limit those and over the course of a series frustration will set in for him....make him feel the weight of the world by making him WORK....

Tatum - needs to MAN UP against Middleton. Kris has handed Jayson's behind to him the last two years.  He needs to make Kris WORK for his points.

Kyrie - He was traded because he wanted to forge his own path...make a name for himself without LeBron.

This is his chance.....he won't be ALONE in this in that he'll have Morris, Big Al, JB, Tatum, GH and a DEEP bench going to fight WITH HIM...

Trust your teammates - like you have been doing.

The whole universe is counting AGAINST BOS for this series. Shaq, Kenny and Charles believes it will be a bloodbath.

I don't.

You'd think that Giannis is Thanos the way he is being talked about.

Prove the pundits WRONG once again, BOS. It CAN be done.

If BOS can pull this off it will place the NBA landscape on notice.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 08:37:18 PM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I like our chances. Maybe Yannis really takes the playoff leap and goes to the Nba finals, but I think our 2nd through to 5th options on offense are better than theirs. Also not sure what coach Bud can produce in a deep run (see 60 win hawks team a few years back).

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 08:55:31 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
We have to bring our defensive A game, stop their transition buckets and defend the 3 point line to stop everyone else contributing. If Antetokounmpo will get his 25 ppg I can live with that, as long as we stop Middleton, Lopez and Bledsoe (and Brogdon if he comes back during the series). But it all starts with defense.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 09:36:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think the Celtics being heavy underdogs will really help them.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 09:49:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

They seem to function best that way. I think they are underdogs the rest of the way so go underdogs!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 09:49:34 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Pick up Yannis before he can get a head of steam and be willing to take charges from him.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 10:59:20 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think Al is the key to this series. He has a HUGE mismatch advantage against Lopez, because while he can guard Lopez out on the perimeter, the same cannot be said about Lopez, who will really struggle to stay with Al.

I think that's why there's a strong possibility that you see us go back to Al at the 5 and probably (gulp) one of Morris or Semi starting at the 4, maybe even a Hayward. I'm a little conflicted about that. While I think that gives us a much better mismatch opportunity to exploit, I'm not sure if it's worth it, as Baynes is a major component of our staunch defense.

That said, I could also see us rolling with the same starters of Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Al, and Baynes, as Al has done a remarkable job at making thins difficult for Giannis in the past by playing off of him and forcing him to become a jump shooter. And while you lose the Lopez mismatch, Baynes can at least stretch the floor still and draw Lopez out of the paint, and he's probably capable of staying with Lopez out on the perimeter, as well, while also having the size to guard him down low.

Will be interesting to see what route Brad chooses for the starters.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I give the Celts a 25% chance of winning this series. The Celtics over-rely on the 3 point shot and don't get enough points in the paint. This is a primary reason opponents frequently go on long runs and we suffer long offensive droughts. Another weakness is rebounding. It appears Stevens doesn't emphasize the importance of blocking out opponents when rebounding. Also, I often see our players flat footed after an opponent miss. And lastly, iso ball can hurt us, more often than not, offensively. I often see Tatum and others just standing in the corners, rarely cutting towards the basket for easier shots. Haywood does it, but others not so much. The Bucks FG % is 4% higher than ours. If the Celtics corrected some or all of these flaws, I would favor them. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 03:50:59 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

They seem to function best that way. I think they are underdogs the rest of the way so go underdogs!!!

#4 seed against the #1 seed, touted as the second-best team in the NBA behind the Warriors. It's time to live that underdog role. Rather be a dog than be a favorite.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 04:04:44 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

#4 seed against the #1 seed, touted as the second-best team in the NBA behind the Warriors. It's time to live that underdog role. Rather be a dog than be a favorite.
I find Bucks as the 5th or 6th best NBA team in the league.

GSW, BOS, TOR and HOU teams have the highest upsides.
All of those teams have a path to the title.
They have the most versatile and switchable defenses,
while also being able to threat from the 3 pt line from all 5 positions.
That was my preseason impression and nothing swung it for me enough to change my opinion.

MIL and PHI are the 5th and 6th.
I am still undecided about Philly's starting 5, minus their shallow bench, equitation. To have a firm stance.
We will find out soon.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 04:29:16 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Pick up Yannis before he can get a head of steam and be willing to take charges from him.
I don't think we're unwilling to take charges.  I just think he's really good at avoiding them, even at full speed.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

I find Bucks as the 5th or 6th best NBA team in the league.

GSW, BOS, TOR and HOU teams have the highest upsides.
All of those teams have a path to the title.
They have the most versatile and switchable defenses,
while also being able to threat from the 3 pt line from all 5 positions.
That was my preseason impression and nothing swung it for me enough to change my opinion.

MIL and PHI are the 5th and 6th.
I am still undecided about Philly's starting 5, minus their shallow bench, equitation. To have a firm stance.
We will find out soon.
Yeah, you're REALLY underrating the bucks (and probably overrating the Celts).  They are the favorite in this series and rightfully so.  Let's not lose sight of what that means; this is likely the end of the road for the Celts.

Of course, the games have to be played and Kyrie could certainly go super nova in the series.  I'll be watching and rooting for the Celtics and obviously, hope we can pull the upset.

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 04:37:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I don't think we're unwilling to take charges.  I just think he's really good at avoiding them, even at full speed.

You also have to get the call. There is nothing worse than giving up your body to get the charge call and then the refs give the "Star" the call.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 04:39:17 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I put JB on middleton and let JT guard the 2.  I start baynes but have a quick hook to semi and morris.  we need to throw alot of fresh bodies and additional fouls on GA and make him work on both ends and tire him out.  The biggest battle is the amount of free throws the refs award.  Make it a physical game and let the chips fall where they may.  Keep the score low with solid D.