Author Topic: Celtics (1-2) at Pacers (3-0) Game #4 12/29/20  (Read 37796 times)

Re: Celtics (1-2) at Pacers (3-0) Game #4 12/29/20
« Reply #480 on: December 29, 2020, 10:03:15 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
Two stats I keep noticing these first few games are the opponent's higher shooting % than the Celts usually allow - we do not seem to be defending the perimeter as well as we used to - and us having lower team assists than normal - the ball and player movement has declined. Since Tatum has become our big gun along with Brown, we play too much iso.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #481 on: December 29, 2020, 10:06:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Two stats I keep noticing these first few games are the opponent's higher shooting % than the Celts usually allow - we do not seem to be defending the perimeter as well as we used to - and us having lower team assists than normal - the ball and player movement has declined. Since Tatum has become our big gun along with Brown, we play too much iso.

The ball spread better tonight with Pritchard in the game. I’d like to see him early in the 3rd next game. PP and TIMELORD brought a. Lot of nice energy off the bench.

« Reply #482 on: December 29, 2020, 10:06:55 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Great win! We did well to close them out in the fourth and shout out to Tatum for being better with the ball (still wasn't great at distributing, but he finally started driving to the rim).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #483 on: December 29, 2020, 10:09:15 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673

I feel like the biggest issue is that we have a lot of guys who just aren't used to playing together right now.  Individually we can still defend, but the problem comes when we're required to help or switch and we lack that trust and cohesion.  Similar problem on offense - individually guys can obviously play, but we just aren't doing a good job at working together. 

If I'm right on this, that'll probably work itself out as the season goes on. 

« Reply #484 on: December 29, 2020, 10:14:05 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Pritchard 27 minutes 5 assists 5 rebounds 1 steal 10 points
(I deleted the 3 turnovers)

Might as well have him play with the starters more, got a good handle, seizes opportunities, tonight he was looking for his shooters, making good choices...couple of mistakes, but not super dumb ones.

NBA experience 88 minutes 33 pts 13 of 22 from the floor 5 of 9 from three he's got 6 steals 8 assists.

He's going to be undersized on defense forever, but, he's in the right spots. Can't jump high or run fast, but there's a flash here and there...couple of nice layups on guys that are 3 feet taller than him.

He's cool as a cuke. Doesn't jump around, act excited, just chill.

If he gets better? Yikes.

I'm ecstatic over a backup point guard, but that's what we fans do.

« Reply #485 on: December 29, 2020, 10:26:54 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
I am negative as it gets on here however,  I will say tonight I saw something very interesting with this years team I didn't factor.  Toughness. 

« Reply #486 on: December 29, 2020, 10:41:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Great win! I think Stevens learned tonight that they need a ball handler like Pritchard out there running the offense down the stretch.
Pritchard or Teague need to be on the floor at all times with Smart's minutes coming entirely as the off guard providing secondary ball-handling next to one of the PGs.

« Reply #487 on: December 29, 2020, 10:41:28 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Might as well have him play with the starters more, got a good handle, seizes opportunities, tonight he was looking for his shooters, making good choices...couple of mistakes, but not super dumb ones.

NBA experience 88 minutes 33 pts 13 of 22 from the floor 5 of 9 from three he's got 6 steals 8 assists.

He's going to be undersized on defense forever, but, he's in the right spots. Can't jump high or run fast, but there's a flash here and there...couple of nice layups on guys that are 3 feet taller than him.

Agree all. He is very near his celling though.

4 guaranteed years of seriously competent back up? Sign me up.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #488 on: December 29, 2020, 10:45:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
On a more negative note  >:( I absolutely hate the TT/Theis starting front court. I realize IND has a ton of size up front - and so do MIL and BKN to an extent - but I'd love to just start one of them and maybe even give FPP some run. His ability to penetrate opens things up quite a bit and it's not like our defense is super-stellar or anything.

so PP - MS - JB - JT - TT
with Theis - Jeff T - Timelord - Grant W - Green or Semi pickem
until Kemba gets back?

Yes to the starting lineup.
A change to bench - Teague + Nesmith + Semi + Rob Williams.

I'd drop Grant Williams and Javonte Green from the rotation. I prefer Semi to G.Williams at PF because Semi is more of a perimeter threat on offense and a better defender on the perimeter on defense. I go with Nesmith over Javonte to keep the team's shooting capabilities steady.

Nesmith would play the least of these 4 bench players - for now - but he would play. That is less about praise for Nesmith and more of an indictment over the other options.

« Reply #489 on: December 29, 2020, 10:46:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I am negative as it gets on here however,  I will say tonight I saw something very interesting with this years team I didn't factor.  Toughness.

that is what you get when you bring in guys like double T and double P.

« Reply #490 on: December 29, 2020, 10:49:27 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I changed the channel in the 3rd once they got down double digits, I was so disgusted with watching them. Came back in time to to see PP and Time Lord turn the game around - it looked like they woke up Tatum.

Really interesting development to see Brad go with Pritchard down the stretch - and he didn't disappoint. His teammates also seem to have no issue with him hoisting up his share of shots and then some.

Also agree with everyone wondering why Time Lord didn't play more - especially on a night when Theis was terrible. Williams has earned more minutes and I think he's going to get a lot more moving forward.  Center position looks like it could actually be a strength.

« Reply #491 on: December 29, 2020, 10:54:23 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

4 guaranteed years of seriously competent cost controlled back up? Sign me up.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #492 on: December 29, 2020, 11:03:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

4 guaranteed years of seriously competent cost controlled back up? Sign me up.
Is he near his ceiling though?

He's only 22. Less than 2 months older than Tatum.

If his shooting stays elite, with his really high BBIQ, ball handling ability, play making ability, toughness and clutchness, Pritchard could get to Fred VanVleet level of player, IMHO. That's world's higher than where he currently is.

« Reply #493 on: December 29, 2020, 11:05:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The C's third quarters have sucked. But on the positive side, they have played great in 3 of their 4 4th quarters.

« Reply #494 on: December 29, 2020, 11:12:47 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The C's third quarters have sucked. But on the positive side, they have played great in 3 of their 4 4th quarters.
Silver linings. It’s ludicrous how bad they are in the 3rd. Is it the coach? The players? Everyone just making bets on 4th quarter comebacks or 3rd quarter unders? I don’t get it.