Author Topic: First NBA player opts out of remaining season  (Read 6538 times)

First NBA player opts out of remaining season
« on: June 22, 2020, 01:52:33 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Looks like Bertans is the first NBA player to opt out the remainder of the season. As an entrepreneur his decision is logical as he'll become a healthy FA in doing so.

For whatever reason this annoys me.
ok fine

Re: First NBA player opts out of remaining season
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 02:10:47 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I don't have much of an opinion on the Wizards but why should he risk illness or injury? I was listening to a pod that talked about his decision and they said the Wizards need to go 6-2 in the "regular season" games to get into the play in, then win 2 in a row against Memphis to get the 8 seed to play the Bucks.  Why would he risk what is likely the biggest payday he will see in his career to injury or potential his life due to Covid for that?  Not to mention that Covid isn't the flu and there can be long term side affects after "recovery."

I think with the Covid numbers getting as bad as they are in FL right now I'm not sure the NBA can moved forward with their plan.  Especially if more players make logical decisions like this.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 02:17:59 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I don't have much of an opinion on the Wizards but why should he risk illness or injury? I was listening to a pod that talked about his decision and they said the Wizards need to go 6-2 in the "regular season" games to get into the play in, then win 2 in a row against Memphis to get the 8 seed to play the Bucks.  Why would he risk what is likely the biggest payday he will see in his career to injury or potential his life due to Covid for that?  Not to mention that Covid isn't the flu and there can be long term side affects after "recovery."

I think with the Covid numbers getting as bad as they are in FL right now I'm not sure the NBA can moved forward with their plan.  Especially if more players make logical decisions like this.

To add, he's also had surgeries in the past so coming into and risking an injury for a team that will more likely only receive a participation trophy from Disney seems to be a very risky move. I understand his standing and seems that the Wizards are supporting him on his decision as well.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 03:10:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don’t think it’s right.  Do we now give every free agent the option of sitting out the last 10 games of the season and playoffs? Because this has nothing to do with Covid
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 03:32:55 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 03:21:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
We're definitely going to see more coming.

Don't be fooled, the biggest reason this season is resuming is for Lebron. And in addition, the NBA really wants to try and get Zion in the playoffs, hence the decision to bring back 22 teams and trying to set it up so they pass Memphis.

Especially for upcoming FA's like Bertans, Tatum, etc., could you imagine returning and then suffering a serious injury which affects your FA market. That + the risk of COVID would probably put off a lot of others.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 03:24:27 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

I don’t think it’s right.  Do we now give every creations the option of sitting out the last 10 games of the season and playoffs? Because this has nothing to do with Covid
1. why don't you think this is "right"?

2. please define "right" in this context.

3. why should people be compelled to work a job they don't feel safe doing? if he isn't paid for not playing, i am fine with that. but to compel other human beings to perform for our entertainment seems a bit over board.

4. please prove this has nothing to do with COVID-19, and, why that matters.

thank you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 03:32:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don’t think it’s right.  Do we now give every creations the option of sitting out the last 10 games of the season and playoffs? Because this has nothing to do with Covid
1. why don't you think this is "right"?

2. please define "right" in this context.

3. why should people be compelled to work a job they don't feel safe doing? if he isn't paid for not playing, i am fine with that. but to compel other human beings to perform for our entertainment seems a bit over board.

4. please prove this has nothing to do with COVID-19, and, why that matters.

thank you.

He’s under contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 03:33:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He's not going to be the only one.  And it's okay.  Different people have different concerns, because there quite frankly are still a lot of unknowns with this disease.  If the NBA wants to restart and have player buy-in, they need to allow players the choice of not showing up, and put all their effort in creating as safe an environment as possible to make it palatable. And if you're an international player residing in a country that has got things under control, I can absolutely see not wanting to return the US.  I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Bertans signs a one-year Euro deal next season.

That said, it would be very wise of Bertans to not get caught in a bar/club until he's signed a new contract in any league.

EDIT: Apparently Washington management supports Bertans sitting out (at least to some degree).  Now they can't accidentally ruin their lottery pick chances.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 04:07:16 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 03:45:45 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I don’t think it’s right.  Do we now give every free agent the option of sitting out the last 10 games of the season and playoffs? Because this has nothing to do with Covid

If there's another season where they have a multi-month layoff and then bring less than 3/4s of the teams back, then maybe. Especially if that season also has a worldwide pandemic going on.

Obviously it would be better for fans if everybody was forced to play, but players weren't gonna agree to return without having a chance to opt out.  If Bertans is willing to take the financial hit for not playing, then that's his choice. It's also fully within the Wizards' rights to take that into consideration when it comes to free agency (I would normally say "come July", but "come mid-October" just doesn't have the same ring)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 04:42:32 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Should be the right thing to do- sitting out. Covid cases are hitting up high in Florida.

Plus, the Wizards need to go a grueling 6-2 to make the playoffs as a #8 seed only to get swept by Milwaukee? Not taking the chance this year. All this season resuming talks is a LeBron ploy, glad there are players opting out of it for the concern of their health.

Even if you recover from covid-19 illness, your lungs will be forever compromised which can have an ailing effect down the road.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 05:53:02 PM »

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
According to Woj, Ariza will also be sitting out.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 06:58:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah, but to be fair it's for another reason.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1275181721613406208

Portland Trail Blazers forward Trevor Ariza is opting-out of participation in the NBA’s Orlando restart of the season, committing instead to a one-month visitation window with his young son, sources tell ESPN.

Sources: Ariza has been involved in a custody case over his 12-year old son, and mother’s choice of granting a court-ordered one month visitation period during league’s quarantine of teams in Orlando left Ariza to choose those parenting responsibilities over competing in restart.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 07:31:10 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
not gonna matter until an impact player on a contender decides to sit out.  Thats when the S will hit the fan.  No one thinks the Blazers have a real shot to win, same with the Wiz. 

If the path to the finals starts to become easy because some teams have been watered down and others havent thats when fans, teams, and players are gonna start complaining.

Silver should just say that theyre having a playoff tournament for the fans and to help raise money for social causes and economic relief.  No Larry O'Brien trophy and no rings, too many crazy circumstances affecting the competition in these games to have them count as any kind of meaningful moment in NBA history.
Greg

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 08:41:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Yeah, but to be fair it's for another reason.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1275181721613406208

Portland Trail Blazers forward Trevor Ariza is opting-out of participation in the NBA’s Orlando restart of the season, committing instead to a one-month visitation window with his young son, sources tell ESPN.

Sources: Ariza has been involved in a custody case over his 12-year old son, and mother’s choice of granting a court-ordered one month visitation period during league’s quarantine of teams in Orlando left Ariza to choose those parenting responsibilities over competing in restart.

Can't really fault Ariza for this one. Great to see him do the right thing for his son.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 09:56:23 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
not gonna matter until an impact player on a contender decides to sit out.  Thats when the S will hit the fan.  No one thinks the Blazers have a real shot to win, same with the Wiz. 

If the path to the finals starts to become easy because some teams have been watered down and others havent thats when fans, teams, and players are gonna start complaining.

Silver should just say that theyre having a playoff tournament for the fans and to help raise money for social causes and economic relief.  No Larry O'Brien trophy and no rings, too many crazy circumstances affecting the competition in these games to have them count as any kind of meaningful moment in NBA history.

Next thing you know, a big chunk of players (including various star players) will decide not to participate because it greatly impacts their health...immunologically-speaking.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)