Poll

What player most played above the level of their stats?

Wes Unseld
2 (6.5%)
Dave Cowens
4 (12.9%)
Dennis Rodman
1 (3.2%)
Ben Wallace
1 (3.2%)
Rasheed Wallace
0 (0%)
Draymond Green
1 (3.2%)
Danny Ainge
0 (0%)
Al Horford
1 (3.2%)
Robert Horry
0 (0%)
Many Ginobili
6 (19.4%)
Bill Russell
12 (38.7%)
Tim Duncan
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Which player in NBA history played at the highest level over his stats?  (Read 6859 times)

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I agree on Manu. He was consistently the best player on the court, even if the stats didn't always show it.

If all the best players were standing in front of me for a pickup game, I'd seriously consider picking Manu, even though his stats weren't at the level of Lebron, etc.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
To me it is Manu, and I don't find anyone else particularly close.
I agree on Manu. He was consistently the best player on the court, even if the stats didn't always show it.

If all the best players were standing in front of me for a pickup game, I'd seriously consider picking Manu, even though his stats weren't at the level of Lebron, etc.
Really? To me he was a perennial All-NBA player in his 5-7 year stretch.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Can you imagine Manu playing next to Giannis? With Karl Malone and Alonzo?  Tatum and Derek Rose off the bench?  GOAT team.

🤣

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Can you imagine Manu playing next to Giannis? With Karl Malone and Alonzo?  Tatum and Derek Rose off the bench?  GOAT team.

🤣

Lol. Let it go. I'm not sure even Manu Ginobli could find lanes to drive through with that floor spacing.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I agree with the lot of you that says Manu and Duncan.  I had to pick one so I picked Duncan.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Manu was better than Duncan.  I've now heard everything.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I picked Russell but why is Bird not on this list?

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Birds box numbers at his peak accurately reflect his impact. 28/10/7 with 2 steals a game and 50/40/90 shooting. Those are very very gaudy numbers, and all on elite teams
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Not sure where did you get this conclusion, but thanks for your slash line input :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Not sure where did you get this conclusion, but thanks for your slash line input :laugh:
Probably inferred it from DWC's comments about Manu oft being the best guy on the court and the one about potentially picking Manu over guys like LBJ

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Probably inferred it from DWC's comments about Manu oft being the best guy on the court and the one about potentially picking Manu over guys like LBJ
Oh lol. Well NBA basketball is not about pickup games so I don't understand the vitriol directed at the comment.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I think Birds box numbers at his peak accurately reflect his impact. 28/10/7 with 2 steals a game and 50/40/90 shooting. Those are very very gaudy numbers, and all on elite teams

Gaudy numbers yes but his effect on the game was much more than those numbers. The leadership and confidence he gave team mates and his all-out hustle in every game he played in.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Oh lol. Well NBA basketball is not about pickup games so I don't understand the vitriol directed at the comment.
Oh yeah, no doubt. Wouldn't even be close to the most out-there take I've seen here

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Homer pick, but I believe that Tony Kukoč's contributions playing winning basketball didn't get their merit stats-wise.
In his first 14 pro years (he became pro at 16), playing for Jugoplastika, Benetton, NT and NBA he always played on a winner, almost all were champions, finalists, or medals bearers.
And it wasn't a Robert Horry kind of thing, he was a leader on most of his teams. On historic bulls teams, he was a legit 3rd option.
According to Phil, he was the 2nd option in late-game must score situations, just after MJ.
Kukoč's passing, his hockey assists, his understanding of the game, and his intangibles were off the charts.
Using Ben Falk's terminology, his scaleability was excellent, meaning he could play with basically anyone, in any era, would mesh well, and contribute on any team. Great passing skills, outside shooting, ballhandling, and good to great size along with a strong mentality and ingrained professionalism do that.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:27:29 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Oh yeah, no doubt. Wouldn't even be close to the most out-there take I've seen here
Ikr lol. Plenty of hot takes in here on this forum, including some from me that are even more out there.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA