Author Topic: Bobby Marks (via the Vertical) on Potential Howard Destinations  (Read 8908 times)

Bobby Marks (via the Vertical) on Potential Howard Destinations
« on: February 11, 2016, 08:52:02 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/here-s-what-the-trade-market-for-dwight-howard-looks-like-011422278.html

Unsurprisingly, Marks suggests the Celtics are the best trade partner. Here's his hypothetical deal:

Howard and Montrezl Harrell for Lee, Jerebko, 2016 Dallas First, 2016 Boston First

This is the exact sort of deal I would be okay with for Howard. Minimal risk, high reward (Harrell would be an awesome throw in too).
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Re: Bobby Marks (via the Vertical) on Potential Howard Destinations
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:55:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
exciting time to be a Celtic fan

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:57:19 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
it feels like boston is the "best trade partner" for every player out there.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 08:58:07 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
That's a fair price but Howard is a petulant child who gets mad at his own teammates for stealing 'his' rebounds.
I just don't want him

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 08:58:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
only concerns is that Howard is a rental and can walk after this season.  He's not exactly known for showing loyalty to any franchise that's had him so I'd consider keeping the Boston pick and swapping in the Minny second rounder and any other second rounder.

If he was under contract another year or was agreeable to signing here for next season (provided we still wanted him) then do the deal.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 08:59:13 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

What other contending teams the assets to make moves without disturbing their cores?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 08:59:18 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
exciting time to be a Celtic fan
I can't stop smiling man and even if no trade happens am just excited for second half of the season. Love these young Celtics grit and heart and chemistry.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 09:06:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If a team is looking for expiring contracts and multiple middling 1st rounders, it's hard to top the Celtics.

If we're getting into a bidding war involving expiring contracts + a top 5 pick, we will have to outbid teams like the 76ers, Suns or Lakers... but those teams are less positioned to take a risk on a player like Horford or Howard, because none of them are making the playoffs this year and HOrford/Howard would bail on them (obviously the Lakers and Howard would be an awful match).  But then again, you'd never give up a potential top 5 pick for a potential rental.  This more comes into play if a guy like Cousins, Blake and Love becomes available.  Bonus points for Boston, because they can acquire a star for the Brooklyn pick without hurting the Brooklyn pick.  If Philly trades their 1st for a star, there's some risk that they start rattling off some wins and it pick ends up less valuable at the end of the season.

If a team prefers established talent or quality prospects, it's an entirely different story.  Boston has some expendable pieces (Sully, for instance), but a team like Orlando could step up and offer a guy on rookie contract like Hezonja or Gordon.  A team like Toronto could put together an interesting package built around decent players like Terrence Ross and Valanciunas.  Bucks could put together an interesting package built around a guy like Jabari Parker.  Maybe Denver offers up established talent like Faried and Gallo...   Suddenly, there's a lot more options.

But if you're looking for picks in the 15-40 range and expiring contracts... Boston should be the team you call up.  That kind of package isn't always what teams want, though.  You never know when some dumb team will prefer to send their star for a guy like Rudy Gay or something.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:13:09 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 09:07:14 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Not sure I buy this one but who knows.  Houston and Denver have a deal pending where Houston's 2016 pick goes to Denver if it is 15-30 (1-14 protected).  If not conveyed, it turns into some second round pick.  So Houston will likely keep the pick if they dump Howard (they are currently slotted for the 13th pick).  I don't see Houston taking on two more 2016 picks.  So maybe it would have to be something more like DAL 2016 and BOS 2018.

I really hope the Celtics don't do this.  I don't want Howard on the books at the max for the next 5 years which is what was quoted here in another thread.  I am not all what worried about giving up the DAL and BOS picks but what is the point of giving up anything?

Maybe we need a 3rd team involved although I can't imagine who.  Philly?  Knicks?

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 09:09:21 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
There are a lot of things I don't like about paying a whole lot for Howard. Mainly his back, and his contract. His attitude isn't great, but I think our locker room could handle it.

That said, if you can trade a non-premium 1st rounder and salary for him, I think you have to consider it. Who in the east can deal with us + Howard? Our big man depth would be unreal. How do you match up with a team that can deploy Howard, Sully, Amir, KO, Zeller and Jerebko depending on the matchup?

Maybe it's short-sighted, but Howard could put us in The Finals this year, going into our F/A recruiting summer. If he walks, then he walks (his bad).

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 09:10:08 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

That's b/c Danny is good at his job

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
are you willing to give up 2017 or 18 brk pick to land one of Howard or Horford ?

I think I would for Howard .

He would be a perfect fit in our defense , making us the best defense in the league , while being able to give us at least 15 ppg in the role Amir is in now . Plus Amir would be the anchor for our bench if we can keep him.

A KO/ Dwight front court would be a perfect match, and IT and Howard pick n  roll would be amazing to see.

You have Smart, Crowder and AB as all defensive level peremiter defender , and have a DPOY candidate in the middle

DO IT DANNY!

Final offer: Sully, Lee , one of Young or hunter,  Dal pick, Brk 17 or 18 pick

IT               / Smart
AB              / Turner
Jae              / Jerebko
KO              / Amir
Dwight        / Zeller

Max cap space to add another all-star , top 5 pick , bos 2016,17,18 picks , brk 17 or 18 pick to add to this roster

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 09:18:34 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
If a team is looking for expiring contracts and multiple middling 1st rounders, it's hard to top the Celtics.

If we're getting into a bidding war involving expiring contracts + a top 5 pick, we will have to outbid teams like the 76ers, Suns or Lakers... but those teams are less positioned to take a risk on a player like Horford or Howard, because none of them are making the playoffs this year and HOrford/Howard would bail on them (obviously the Lakers and Howard would be an awful match).  But then again, you'd never give up a potential top 5 pick for a potential rental.  This more comes into play if a guy like Cousins, Blake and Love becomes available.  Bonus points for Boston, because they can acquire a star for the Brooklyn pick without hurting the Brooklyn pick.  If Philly trades their 1st for a star, there's some risk that they start rattling off some wins and it pick ends up less valuable at the end of the season.

If a team prefers established talent or quality prospects, it's an entirely different story.  Boston has some expendable pieces (Sully, for instance), but a team like Orlando could step up and offer a guy on rookie contract like Hezonja or Gordon.  A team like Toronto could put together an interesting package built around decent players like Terrence Ross and Valanciunas.  Bucks could put together an interesting package built around a guy like Jabari Parker.  Maybe Denver offers up established talent like Faried and Gallo...   Suddenly, there's a lot more options.

But if you're looking for picks in the 15-40 range and expiring contracts... Boston should be the team you call up.  That kind of package isn't always what teams want, though.  You never know when some dumb team will prefer to send their star for a guy like Rudy Gay or something.

The Lakers can't even trade their pick, and they can somehow compete with three Brooklyn 1sts?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 09:20:20 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
There are a lot of things I don't like about paying a whole lot for Howard. Mainly his back, and his contract. His attitude isn't great, but I think our locker room could handle it.

That said, if you can trade a non-premium 1st rounder and salary for him, I think you have to consider it. Who in the east can deal with us + Howard? Our big man depth would be unreal. How do you match up with a team that can deploy Howard, Sully, Amir, KO, Zeller and Jerebko depending on the matchup?

Maybe it's short-sighted, but Howard could put us in The Finals this year, going into our F/A recruiting summer. If he walks, then he walks (his bad).

I'm pretty sure the Celtics are going to have to trade one of those guys along with Lee to get Howard. I'm hoping it's Zeller but I'm sure if Houston had to choose, they would want Kelly or Sully.

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 09:34:21 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
That's a fair price but Howard is a petulant child who gets mad at his own teammates for stealing 'his' rebounds.
I just don't want him

So your team has a chance to grab an important rebound from Houston, but you'd be mad at your team for not refusing it, because you just don't want it. Kind of sounds like you and Howard would be a perfect match. ;)
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.