Author Topic: Red Sox 2010  (Read 71436 times)

Re: Red Sox 2010
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 04:38:38 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

9. Jacoby Ellsbury threatening 100 steals with his legs being saved from the outfield shift.

10. A JD Drew contract year. Count on a more aggressive hitter with runners on base.

Just a few bones to pick: Ellsbury's legs being saved and this cumulative burst of speed/stamina come September being tossed around by Peter Gammons and other members of the media strikes me as a load of crap. I just have a real hard time believing that the amount of wear and tear on Ellsbury's legs from switching from center to left really will make any difference whatsoever. That said, I like the defensive upgrade he offers over Bay in LF.

Drew is not in a contract year. He's not a free agent until after the 2011 season.

I really think the Sox will get A-Gon at the deadline. The Pads will probably be looking to deal him and Boston will have both the prospects and the willingness to pull the trigger come the end of July. I think trading Kelly instead of Buchholz(It will take more than just Kelly, obviously) will be preferable to both sides since San Diego likely won't be competitive until at least 2012 when Buch will be entering his 4th season of MLB service time. If the Pads aren't stupid and rush Kelly, he'll be entering his first.

I'm really looking forward to not watching Nick Green, Julio Lugo, John Smoltz, and Brad Penny this year.

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 11:58:12 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Great win for opening night ... and to wind it down with Papelbon ... perfect! Come-from-behind against the Yankees ... what a great Easter Sunday!  ;D
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 01:14:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sox currently getting blown out by Tampa and about to get swept barring a momentous late inning comeback.

Currently sitting below .500 and 4th place in the AL East.

Are some people still feeling good about this team?

I know I had serious worries about the offense going into the season but didn't forsee the starting pitching having this much trouble, also. 

It's only April but not the start you're hoping for.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 01:19:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Right now, there may be no bigger C's and B's fan in the world than Theo Epstein.  He knows that he has until those teams get ousted from the playoffs for the Sox to turn it around, or else the full brunt of the Boston Sports Media will fall directly on him. 

I still think this team could turn it around (although they need to make a few tweeks), but I certainly am not feeling good about this team right now.

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 03:14:51 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
According to an article I just read on ESPN.com, no Red Sox has ever started 4-9 and made it to the post-season.  It's still very early in an extremely long regular season for the Sox, but I have a hard time seeing that happen, too.

The off-season plan for the Red Sox seems to have failed pretty miserably so far. 
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 10:59:19 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
According to an article I just read on ESPN.com, no Red Sox has ever started 4-9 and made it to the post-season.  It's still very early in an extremely long regular season for the Sox, but I have a hard time seeing that happen, too.

The off-season plan for the Red Sox seems to have failed pretty miserably so far. 

You're negative about every team in Boston PosImpos. 
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 11:00:29 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
2 WALK OFF WINS IN A ROW... A BRUINS WIN IN 20T... NIGHT CAN'T GET BETTER THAN THIS! Welcome a celtics buzzer beater or blowout would make it better but none the less a GREAT NIGHT!

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 11:01:15 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
According to an article I just read on ESPN.com, no Red Sox has ever started 4-9 and made it to the post-season.  It's still very early in an extremely long regular season for the Sox, but I have a hard time seeing that happen, too.

THE BRUINS WON TONIGHT AND ARE DOING GREAT AGAINST A HIGHER SEEDED TEAM!  WOOOOOOHOOO!!!!

Happy?  ::) (that was genuine enthusiasm)

Tell me, what is there to be positive about with the Red Sox?  One of their most productive hitters is a career minor-leaguer they called up because Mike Cameron passed a kidney stone?

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 11:03:14 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

THE BRUINS WON TONIGHT AND ARE DOING GREAT AGAINST A HIGHER SEEDED TEAM!  WOOOOOOHOOO!!!!

Happy?  ::) (that was genuine enthusiasm)

Tell me, what is there to be positive about with the Red Sox?  One of their most productive hitters is a career minor-leaguer they called up because Mike Cameron passed a kidney stone?

How about two walkoffs in two nights!  That's something to be positive about!  And a pitching staff that still is the best in baseball and will be by the end of the season. 

And you must not be a hockey fan or otherwise how the hell can you not be excited about the Bruins win tonight and the way they've been playing!  That's something to be positive about! 

And how about with how the C's are up 2-0 and just put a beat down on the Heat!  That's something to be positive about too!

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 11:05:38 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
According to an article I just read on ESPN.com, no Red Sox has ever started 4-9 and made it to the post-season.  It's still very early in an extremely long regular season for the Sox, but I have a hard time seeing that happen, too.

THE BRUINS WON TONIGHT AND ARE DOING GREAT AGAINST A HIGHER SEEDED TEAM!  WOOOOOOHOOO!!!!

Tell me, what is there to be positive about with the Red Sox?  One of their most productive hitters is a career minor-leaguer they called up because Mike Cameron passed a kidney stone?

How about two walkoffs in two nights!  And a pitching staff that still is the best in baseball and will be by the end of the season. 

And you must not be a hockey fan or otherwise how the hell can you not be excited about the Bruins win tonight!

Sure I'm excited.  Not a ton, but it is nice that the Bruins won. 

Two walkoffs in two nights sure is nice, but it doesn't change the fact that things are not going at all as planned in Boston.  I wouldn't be so bothered by the losing record if the Sox weren't also playing pretty awful defense so far this season.  We knew they didn't have much hitting going into the season...but without defense, what do they have?  Nothing.

The bottom line is the Rays and the Yankees are the two best teams in baseball at the moment and I have a difficult time seeing that change drastically. 

You're right, though, it is a very long season, so I suppose anything can happen (including a trade that gives the Sox a more balanced look).

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

How about two walkoffs in two nights!  And a pitching staff that still is the best in baseball and will be by the end of the season. 

And you must not be a hockey fan or otherwise how the hell can you not be excited about the Bruins win tonight!

Two walkoffs in two nights sure is nice, but it doesn't change the fact that things are not going at all as planned in Boston.  I wouldn't be so bothered by the losing record if the Sox weren't also playing pretty awful defense so far this season.  We knew they didn't have much hitting going into the season...but without defense, what do they have?  Nothing.

The bottom line is the Rays and the Yankees are the two best teams in baseball at the moment and I have a difficult time seeing that change drastically. 

You're right, though, it is a very long season, so I suppose anything can happen (including a trade that gives the Sox a more balanced look).

That's the thing with baseball.  Way to early to right them off in such a long season when you know the Sox have the pitching and defense and that they will come together.  And also when we can get a trade done for Adrian Gonzalez or Prince Fielder.

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 11:11:07 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

How are you not a ton excited after these last two nights?

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 02:12:22 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

How are you not a ton excited after these last two nights?

Oh, I'm way, way excited about the Celtics and tonight about the Spurs winning (I love the Spurs). 

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of baseball; the regular season is so long I don't pay much attention until the post-season.  Hockey is even less a priority for me, although it's cool when the home town wins (Boston College, where I currently go to school, just won the national title).

Still, until the Red Sox a) get some good pitching from their great-on-paper lineup and solid defense from their great-on-paper fielders or b) make a trade for some reliable big bats, I'm not going to be particularly optimistic about the Red Sox' long term prospects for this season. 

The Yanks and Rays are just very good this year and it's very easy to not make the playoffs in the MLB.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 04:30:28 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Would love to see someone post a list of all the moves Theo has made since he's been here, including the free agents he's let go.
It's a good thing for him that he has almost unlimited money to throw at free agents, it's difficult to field an uncompetitive team when you can outspend your competition, but he's trying harder every year!
How about these great moves for just a few examples(not hindsight, I hated these moves at the time)-
 J D Drew- $14Million/year
 Dice K- $100million/5 years
 Eric Gagne
 Mike Cameron- oh yeah, he's a real upgrade over Ellsbury,lol
 Julio Lugo

As far as this run prevention/defense nonsense which Red Sox nation seems to have swallowed-
1) Does anyone really believe that Jason Bay's supposedly weak defense cost the team any games? He didn't look like a bad outfielder to me.
2) If they really believed in "run prevention" why did they not re-sign Alex Gonzales, probably the best defensive shortstop they've ever had?

Anyway, I gag every time I hear that Cameron and Scutaro are "upgrades".

Sorry to be so negative, but the team is BORING and I'm just glad that I'm not a big enough baseball fan to really care.

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 08:24:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Would love to see someone post a list of all the moves Theo has made since he's been here, including the free agents he's let go.
It's a good thing for him that he has almost unlimited money to throw at free agents, it's difficult to field an uncompetitive team when you can outspend your competition, but he's trying harder every year!
How about these great moves for just a few examples(not hindsight, I hated these moves at the time)-
 J D Drew- $14Million/year
 Dice K- $100million/5 years
 Eric Gagne
 Mike Cameron- oh yeah, he's a real upgrade over Ellsbury,lol
 Julio Lugo

As far as this run prevention/defense nonsense which Red Sox nation seems to have swallowed-
1) Does anyone really believe that Jason Bay's supposedly weak defense cost the team any games? He didn't look like a bad outfielder to me.
2) If they really believed in "run prevention" why did they not re-sign Alex Gonzales, probably the best defensive shortstop they've ever had?

Anyway, I gag every time I hear that Cameron and Scutaro are "upgrades".

Sorry to be so negative, but the team is BORING and I'm just glad that I'm not a big enough baseball fan to really care.
I agree with all of this.  I'm very tired of the revolving shortstop too.  I was happy with Gonzalez years ago and I'd be happy with him now.