Author Topic: Red Sox on the verge of signing John Smoltz  (Read 5455 times)

Re: Red Sox on the verge of signing John Smoltz
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 05:33:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
With Penny's and Wake's arm problems as well as Smoltz' my guess is between the three of them the Sox will be trying to get 55-60 total starts. I don't think Theo and Tito expect any of the three of these guys to go an entire year.

On the other hand if Smoltz' recovery is as good as has been reported and the Sox medical staff feels they can get Penny strong enough to be himself again, this could mean Buchholz is trade bait for a catcher.

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 06:20:55 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
You've got to love Wake and everything he's given the franchise over the years...   but it's hard to trust that he's got much left in the tank.  The signing really works on a lot of levels; a hedge if Wake really is done (at least as a starter), maybe it lets them make a trade they wouldn't be able to make otherwise...  maybe it's a little less pressure to put Buchholz in the rotation before he's ready.  It's all good. 

Plus, I've always loved Smoltz.  Always struck me as a good guy and someone who's not afraid of pitching in pressure situations. 

(I *was* hoping they'd make a run at getting Lowe back, but I guess that was a pipe dream...)

Am I the only person who can't WAIT for spring training to start?  This losing streak is making me jones for some baseball...  ;)

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 09:24:03 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I'm not sure these signings make Clay B trade bait, these aren't long term deals.  Wakefield, Penny and Smoltz are all under contract for only one year.  I personally think they'll hold on to Clay B.
do it

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 09:26:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm not sure these signings make Clay B trade bait, these aren't long term deals.  Wakefield, Penny and Smoltz are all under contract for only one year.  I personally think they'll hold on to Clay B.

To be honest, they may be just as likely to make Masterson trade bait.

But really, I think they just were smart moves that fell into the Sox laps.  You can never have too much good pitching