Author Topic: Mark Teixeira Signs With Yankees for $170 Million  (Read 33791 times)

Mark Teixeira Signs With Yankees for $170 Million
« on: December 23, 2008, 03:32:11 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Re: Mark Teixeira Signs With Yankees for $170 Million
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 03:36:47 PM »

Offline WayneKreklow

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
It's a really smart move. [dang it].

At least the Sox can stand on principle now. Reports are that he took less with the Yanks than the Sox had on the table. Way to antagonize Boras, John Henry

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 03:37:33 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Well I don't know if the Red Sox really wanted Teixeira at that kind of money, but if they did, that whole calling Boras' bluff thing really backfired.

What's the Yankee payroll looking like for 2009 now?  Maybe the Yankees have taken a look at what's happened in the financial and auto industries, and figures that if they get into trouble, the U.S. will bail them out.  They're already getting us all to pay for their stadium.  :-X

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Amazing since past reports have said that the Sox offered about this much.

Could the difference have perhaps been the infamous no trade clause?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 03:38:46 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
sox management need to pay up.

what a horrible off season

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 03:44:23 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
This guy just didn't want to be a Red Sox unless the offer on table was much better than everyone else. I'm not too upset. It's unfortunate, but that's the Yankees. We'll rebound. I love that we didn't overpay.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 03:48:51 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!   WOOOOOOO!!!!!  HOOOOOOO!!!! Now this is a great offseason!  Grabbing all of those pitchers wasn't gonna matter if they couldn't get aother great bat but that's not an issue anymore.  Niether is defense at first base.  I was hoping when the Sox "pulled out" that it would open it up for the Yanks to sweep in and sign him.  This is sweet!!!   

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Money being equal, you always go with New York. So many other opportunities in NYC.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 03:51:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!   WOOOOOOO!!!!!  HOOOOOOO!!!! Now this is a great offseason!  Grabbing all of those pitchers wasn't gonna matter if they couldn't get aother great bat but that's not an issue anymore.  Niether is defense at first base.  I was hoping when the Sox "pulled out" that it would open it up for the Yanks to sweep in and sign him.  This is sweet!!!   

All's the Yankees need now is a soul.

Yup

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 03:55:26 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95

actually they need a center fielder alot more.  8-)

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

actually they need a center fielder alot more.  8-)

Sign Manny...Let him play out there, what the hell
Yup

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 03:57:46 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
reports are starting to come out that he favored the yanks all along....that he told htem that last week.

The agreement with Teixeira gives New York the four highest-paid players in baseball.

hey, at least it takes them out of the Manny chase, lol.  (you can only sign 3 type A FA's, they got their three)

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 04:02:17 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
You know what?  I don't even care.  I'm always a little conflicted when I root for the Sox, because I know the small market teams play by a different set of rules than teams like Boston and NY.  But, I love rooting for guys like Youk and Pedroia, it's a lot more enjoyable as a fan to root for the guys that you've seen come up and blossom.

I mean, half the reason that it's so much fun to watch Rondo is that we've seen him since he was drafted, we've seen him struggle and we've seen him grow.  That's a lot more fun that if we had, for example, traded for Jason Kidd.  That's why we love guys like Perk and Powe. 

Plus, can you imagine how much fun it'll be to beat these guys in the postseason next year?

Hell, I hope they sign Manny, too!  Bring it on!

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 04:08:26 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
You know what?  I don't even care.  I'm always a little conflicted when I root for the Sox, because I know the small market teams play by a different set of rules than teams like Boston and NY.  But, I love rooting for guys like Youk and Pedroia, it's a lot more enjoyable as a fan to root for the guys that you've seen come up and blossom.

The thing is, there are big market teams, and then there are the yanks.  they are on their own level.

Anyone else annoyed that they just committed over 400 million to 3 players, but they are still asking the taxpayers for additional money for their stadium.

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

The thing is, there are big market teams, and then there are the yanks.  they are on their own level.

Anyone else annoyed that they just committed over 400 million to 3 players, but they are still asking the taxpayers for additional money for their stadium.

Very much so.