Author Topic: ESPN Sportscenter Teaser..Red Sox on verge of trading Manny  (Read 39122 times)

Re: ESPN Sportscenter Teaser..Red Sox on verge of trading Manny
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2008, 08:52:09 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Im not sure about anybody else, and I hope this doesnt cause a personal attack in response, but I would be very excited to get Bay on this team.  Number one he is much better defensively.  He has had 2 seasons already of 30+ and 100+ HR and RBI production, and hes only 29 years old.  This is a guy ready to hit his prime hopefully with the bost redsox for 7.5 million next year.  And I honestly believe losing Manny may just help in general.  As John Dennis said this morning on WEEI, "If Manny is not in that clubhouse tomorrow afternoon, they will have an Ice Cream Party."
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2008, 08:58:01 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
the worse thing that could happen is if manny stays.  there has been too much anger from both sides.  If they trade him they at least have a shot at the playoffs.   

i'm sorry but this is the most assinine post I've read in a long time. Am I allowed to say that? Is that a personnal attack? I'm sorry if it is. I'd say worse and I would deserve a tommy point or two for it but I'm a nice guy so I'll leave it at that.

You think the Red Sox best chance to make the playoffs is by getting rid of Manny (and his 20 homers, .300 batting avg. and 70 rbis) at all costs even if it means trying to replace his production with a guy who could barely hit a home run in a home run derby a few years back

The Sox only shot to make the playoffs is by keeping Manny. His bat is irriplaceable and he does more good than anyone ecxept Ortiz and mmmmaybe Mike Lowell for team chemistry (except when its a week before the trade deadline). Without him they're toast.

c'mon, dude! THINK before you post!

I didn't realize Theo was supposed to take home run derby production into consideration when considering trades.  I guess we should just disregard the 22 HR's he has this season.

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2008, 09:12:28 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2008, 10:31:02 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I don't like this deal. Manny has been acting like a prick lately but was one of my favorite players during his tenure..<g>

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2008, 10:37:37 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Bay is a great ballplayer but if we are giving up prospects along with picking up Manny's contract I don't like this trade at all. We should try to get a ss prospect out of this.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2008, 10:43:32 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I Would love it if they could find a way to get jack Wilson.  They were discussing a while ago a lowry for wilson deal because wilson is scheduled to make some serious cash.  But he is a gold glover and could be an O-Cab type influence i think. 

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2008, 11:02:28 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Im not sure about anybody else, and I hope this doesnt cause a personal attack in response, but I would be very excited to get Bay on this team.  Number one he is much better defensively.  He has had 2 seasons already of 30+ and 100+ HR and RBI production, and hes only 29 years old.  This is a guy ready to hit his prime hopefully with the bost redsox for 7.5 million next year.  And I honestly believe losing Manny may just help in general.  As John Dennis said this morning on WEEI, "If Manny is not in that clubhouse tomorrow afternoon, they will have an Ice Cream Party."

they may have an ice cream party, but that is going to have to be some REALLY good ice cream to make up for not making the playoffs....

the front office botched this big time. they should have just picked up his options at the beginning of the season. there no reason to think that Manny isn't going to right about where he is now for the next couple of seasons and his bat is just not replaceable.

the combo of Ortiz and Manny is one of the most fearsome in baseball and breaking that up because they don't like him taking some plays/games off every once in a while is maddening to me.

this is almost all on the front office. once they started talking about trading Manny and how he was faking injuries etc this thing just exploded.

so many people/commentators have been saying all season that there was no reason to pick up Manny's options......well now you're looking at it. the team is a mess right now.

it's frustrating that a team with so many resources, so much revenue, so much emotional investment from its fan base can be SO bad at handling the human element of their negotiations.

they always seem to end up in these bitter, bitter situations where their energy is devoted to trying to manipulate public perception rather than straight forward dealings.

just doesn't sit well with me. plus, jason bay (aside from being  a huge step down talent-wise) is a big ol' snooze-fest. this team is rapidly turning into a big payroll version of the
Oakland A's.....all Billy Bean Ball and little personality.

they made two big mistakes back in Feb by not letting Schil get his surgery and not picking up Manny's options and now we are feeling the effects with a starting staff without a leader and a lineup on the verge of losing its swagger.

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2008, 11:06:06 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
here's the worst case scenario I can think of... its pretty bad

the Sox trade him to the Marlins, the Marlins win the World Series (like they have done in the past), and they just don't pick up his contract because they'll be in firesale mode again, then the Yankees pick him up and he kills us for the next 4 years
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2008, 11:06:55 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I don't like this deal. Manny has been acting like a prick lately but was one of my favorite players during his tenure..<g>

i agree that Manny has not handled this well, but when the Sox PR machine turns its sights on you, i don't totally blame him for hitting back.

i wish if this had to go down, they went after Ken Griffey.....another step down, but at least it would be interesting.

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2008, 11:11:32 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

i agree that Manny has not handled this well, but when the Sox PR machine turns its sights on you, i don't totally blame him for hitting back.

i wish if this had to go down, they went after Ken Griffey.....another step down, but at least it would be interesting.

The Sox PR machine is something else isn't it?  Funny how people are all on Manny for speaking out when he only spoke out after Theo told McCarver to broadcast on national tv that he would be willing to trade Manny if he would waive his no trade clause.  Come to find out, McAdam said that they had already discussed this privately with Manny, so what was the purpose of Theo stating this publicly so that the whole world knows their private conversation?  I think Theo going public is what set Manny off and decided, forget it, I don't want to be here anymore.  Remember, Theo was the one that went off in the Gorilla suit because he was tired of all the leaks? Now he is doing all the leaking. LOL
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2008, 11:12:56 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

they may have an ice cream party, but that is going to have to be some REALLY good ice cream to make up for not making the playoffs....

the front office botched this big time. they should have just picked up his options at the beginning of the season. there no reason to think that Manny isn't going to right about where he is now for the next couple of seasons and his bat is just not replaceable.

the combo of Ortiz and Manny is one of the most fearsome in baseball and breaking that up because they don't like him taking some plays/games off every once in a while is maddening to me.

this is almost all on the front office. once they started talking about trading Manny and how he was faking injuries etc this thing just exploded.

This is not the front offices fault.  Manny agreed to a deal in which the Red Sox had the opportunity to pick up the option in November.  He is being a spoiled brat and not complying with what he signed 8 years ago.  This is all on Manny, the team is frustrated with him, he is calling out the front office.  Remy is Sick of him and i have never heard him talk ill of a player before.  He was faking the injury IMO he let 3 pitches go by him while he left the bat on his shoulder in NY.  The only thing that can be blamed on the front office is that they let him get away with this crap before and now he expects he can do it again.  And why do you think that we cant replace him.  There are several players putting up comparable numbers, such as Jason Bay, who when you stack the numbers and consider they owe him 7.5 mill instead of 20 mill. next year is a very good replacement. 

And I certainly hope that you are not a financial planner because you don't seem to have a grasp on value..

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2008, 11:14:11 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
here's the worst case scenario I can think of... its pretty bad

the Sox trade him to the Marlins, the Marlins win the World Series (like they have done in the past), and they just don't pick up his contract because they'll be in firesale mode again, then the Yankees pick him up and he kills us for the next 4 years

he is definitely going to either the Yanks or the Mets....no way around that.

i think the worst case scenario is that losing Manny puts this team in a no playoff position for the next couple years.

remember only four teams make the playoffs and there are really good teams out there. making the playoffs is something that this franchise is going to have to battle for EVERY season and i don't think that Theo et al are fully taking into account how bad it will look if the Sox don't make even into the playoffs for consecutive seasons.

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2008, 11:19:18 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

This is not the front offices fault.  Manny agreed to a deal in which the Red Sox had the opportunity to pick up the option in November.  He is being a spoiled brat and not complying with what he signed 8 years ago.  This is all on Manny, the team is frustrated with him, he is calling out the front office.  Remy is Sick of him and i have never heard him talk ill of a player before.  He was faking the injury IMO he let 3 pitches go by him while he left the bat on his shoulder in NY.  The only thing that can be blamed on the front office is that they let him get away with this crap before and now he expects he can do it again.  And why do you think that we cant replace him.  There are several players putting up comparable numbers, such as Jason Bay, who when you stack the numbers and consider they owe him 7.5 mill instead of 20 mill. next year is a very good replacement. 

And I certainly hope that you are not a financial planner because you don't seem to have a grasp on value..

you are making the Billy-ball argument and i don't doubt that that is part of the reason they started looking to move Manny.

personally i don't like it from a fan standpoint, but i also think it is flawed from a front office standpoint.

Manny is feared. Jason Bay is not. that switch would totally de-fang our lineup IMO and it would also pump up the snooze factor.

tell me the value of not making the playoffs......this team has money coming out its ears.....the worst thing they can do is not make the playoffs.

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2008, 11:22:25 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
How many pirates games have you watched this year that brought you to your conclusion that Bay, a hitter with comparable to better power numbers than Ramirez is not feared?

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2008, 11:26:32 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

you are making the Billy-ball argument and i don't doubt that that is part of the reason they started looking to move Manny.

personally i don't like it from a fan standpoint, but i also think it is flawed from a front office standpoint.

Manny is feared. Jason Bay is not. that switch would totally de-fang our lineup IMO and it would also pump up the snooze factor.

tell me the value of not making the playoffs......this team has money coming out its ears.....the worst thing they can do is not make the playoffs.

This was my feeling up until a few days ago.  However, now I have pulled a complete 180.  After seeing this team flounder, and look like a total sinking ship, while Manny keeps trying to make the hole in the hull grow bigger and bigger, I have come to the conclusion that I can't see this team going anywhere with Manny this year.  The bridges have been burned.

To me, the only chance to actually save the season is to get rid of Manny, and hope the new blood livens up the rest of the crew.