Author Topic: Fighting Giants: A Message for you Sox Fans  (Read 6887 times)

Fighting Giants: A Message for you Sox Fans
« on: June 30, 2008, 07:09:10 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
The current AL All Star Game voting is heating up... and there are a couple key battles I would like to address in this space: 1st Base and Catcher.

At 1st Base, Kevin Youkilis currently leads Justin Morneau by more than 270,000 votes.

Currently they are quite statistically close.  Youkilis has slight advantages in BA, OPS, HR (+1), and R (+3), while Morneau has a more convincing lead in RBI (+13) and at actually playing 1B (almost +100 AB as a 1st basemen).  Now, these two are pretty much neck and neck, both offensively and defensively.... the 270,000 vote lead is criminal.  So in all honesty, let's choose the one that plays 1st base and only 1st base (with some DHing here and there, over the converted 3B/Outfielder, okay?

Now, the race for AL Starting Catcher is playing out more reasonably, but still too close for comfort...

Joe Mauer currently leads Jason Varitek by about 145,000 votes.  There is really no justification for the man affectionately known as 'Tek to be within a sniff of Golden Joe and his remarkable side burns.  Mauer leads in BA (.326 to .225), RBI (32 to 25), Runs (49 to 17), every OBP, SLG, OPS, JHSU, FNAU, and other acrimonious category you can name, and is a laughably better backstop.  He's also better looking, a better football and basketball player, and has a better accent. 

Do the right thing, Sox fans.  The M&M Boys are here to stay.  Vote Joe! Vote Justin!  We will not back down!  We will not surrender!  We are the Twins, and we will not shy away from any team... not even if their payroll is $76,287,346 more this year!  ;D ;)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:22:00 PM by Big Ticket »

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Fighting Giants: A Message for you Sox Fans
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 07:15:21 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
Some additional stats to consider when in awe of the M&M Boys' competition for All Star Spots vs. specifically the mighty Red Sox (but also Yankees, Tigers, etc...)

New England population:  14,269,989
Minnesota population:     4,919,479

Boston (metro)population: 4,455,217
Minneapolis (metro) population : 3,175,041

New England Current Sports Apathy Rating (1-100):  1
Minnesota Current Sports Apathy Rating (1-100):  65

Minnesota is tired of being treated as the Farm System for Boston sports!  Trading Johan Santana elsewhere was the start of a movement, and we're not looking back!  You will not get Joe Mauer!  You will not get Justin Morneau!  You will not get Adrian Peterson!  And we're not giving Big Al back!  Best be getting used to it...   

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Minnesota is tired of being treated as the Farm System for Boston sports!  Trading Johan Santana elsewhere was the start of a movement, and we're not looking back!  You will not get Joe Mauer!  You will not get Justin Morneau!  You will not get Adrian Peterson!  And we're not giving Big Al back!  Best be getting used to it...   

That is too funny! TP for that..to be honest though, you know I just had to go to MLB and vote 25 times for the Sox players.

I am actually a diehard Sox, Bruin and Celtics fan but somehow when I was little, grew up rooting for the Vikings as my team. So on that front, I can understand and relate to the small market mentality(actually with the way the Bruins owners have been over the years, they are like a small market team as well)

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:28:37 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
...to be honest though, you know I just had to go to MLB and vote 25 times for the Sox players.

No, no, no!!!  That is the exact opposite of what you were supposed to do! D'oh!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:34:40 PM by Big Ticket »

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 07:32:14 PM »

Offline VinBakersBartender

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
Luke Perry's sideburns > Joe Mauer's sideburns
"The only time I want to talk to a woman when I'm naked is if I'm on top of her or she's on top of me."
-- Former Tigers pitcher Jack Morris on female sportswriters

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 07:36:12 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
Luke Perry's sideburns > Joe Mauer's sideburns

I beg to differ...

Joe Mauer Sideburn Night:

Joe Mauer shows off his acting ability:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9H8ZudKo3M

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 07:43:44 PM »

Offline VinBakersBartender

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
Agree to disagree...But you did provide some excellent evidence...Remember when it was a debate between Prior and Mauer?
"The only time I want to talk to a woman when I'm naked is if I'm on top of her or she's on top of me."
-- Former Tigers pitcher Jack Morris on female sportswriters

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 07:46:59 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
Agree to disagree...But you did provide some excellent evidence...Remember when it was a debate between Prior and Mauer?

Yes, I've thanked Prior in my mind multiple times for having the audacity to say he wouldn't sign with the Twins.  Selecting Mauer helped pave the way for the infamous AJ Pierzynski trade that folks around me (Bay Area) still whine about.... Joe Nathan - the best closer in baseball  ;), Francisco Liriano, and Boof Bonser for AJ. 

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 02:13:58 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
All Star voting ends tomorrow!  Get those Mauer and Morneau votes in quick!!