Author Topic: Lakers vs. Celtics: Which is the Greatest NBA Franchise?  (Read 26375 times)

Lakers vs. Celtics: Which is the Greatest NBA Franchise?
« on: February 24, 2009, 12:29:08 PM »

Offline TheGreenThumb

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
I just came across an article in the Bleacher Report on "Lakers vs. Celtics: Which is the Greatest NBA Franchise?".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/127731-lakers-vs-celtics-whos-the-greatest-nba-franchise

I won't spill the beans as to which team is the author's choice.  But of great interest to me (and those supporting the conspiracy theories against Stern) is the following quote lifted from the article:

'Also, the long time commissioner of the league David Stern had this to say when asked what his dream NBA Finals match-up would be, "Lakers vs. Lakers." He also said "I'd be lying if I told you there wasn't a special fascination with the Lakers."'

Of course, I am a biased fan and pick the Celtics as not only the greatest NBA franchise but also the greatest franchise in the history of sports for winning 8 consecutive titles, a feat that would probably never be duplicated in modern day sports.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:39:41 PM by TheGreenThumb »

Re: Lakers vs. Celtics: Which is the Greatest NBA Franchise?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 12:35:10 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I just came across an article in the Bleacher Report on "Lakers vs. Celtics: Which is the Greatest NBA Franchise?".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/127731-lakers-vs-celtics-whos-the-greatest-nba-franchise

I won't spill the beans as to which team is the author's choice.  But of great interest to me (and those supporting the conspiracy theories against Stern) is the following quote lifted from the article:

'Also, the long time commissioner of the league David Stern had this to say when asked what his dream NBA Finals match-up would be, "Lakers vs. Lakers." He also said "I'd be lying if I told you there wasn't a special fascination with the Lakers."'

Of course, I am a biased fan and pick the Celtics as not only the greatest NBA franchise but also the greatest franchise in the history of the sport for winning 8 consecutive titles, a feat that probably would never be duplicated in modern day sports.

Take away Russell, and we aren't even close to the Lakers. Fortunately, you can't take away Russell.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 12:37:09 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Of course, I am a biased fan and pick the Celtics as not only the greatest NBA franchise but also the greatest franchise in the history of the sport for winning 8 consecutive titles, a feat that probably would never be duplicated in modern day sports.

Take away Russell, and we aren't even close to the Lakers. Fortunately, you can't take away Russell.

deson't work anyway. if you take out russell, you have to take out a great laker and cost them some titles.

17 > 14, and we own them heads up in the finals.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 12:39:04 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
What is the Celtic's record head-to-head in the Finals against the Lakers?  Like 9-2 or something?

Pretty sure that ends any "debate"...

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:39:58 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
That was one of the stupidest articles I've ever read.  As soon as I saw him write Robert "Parrish", I knew this was a moronic Lakers fan.  Actually, I take that back.  As soon as I saw that there was an article written on something that is not debatable, I knew it was by a moronic Lakers fan.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

deson't work anyway. if you take out russell, you have to take out a great laker and cost them some titles.

Can you take away the Minnesota rings and give them to the Timberwolves?

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

Yes please.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 12:53:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I love how most Laker's fans denigrate winning 11 in 13 years and attempt to discount them because the NBA had fewer teams back then.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 12:54:42 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I haven't returned to Bleacher Report since this summer's wonderful Max Fischer fiasco.  No reason to start now.

CW35's point works for me.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 12:56:22 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Yes please.

I hereby dub the Minnesota Timberwolves 5 time NBA champions.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 01:00:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hmmmm....gee, I don't know.... ::)

;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Yes please.

I hereby dub the Minnesota Timberwolves 5 time NBA champions.

i second that motion.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I haven't returned to Bleacher Report since this summer's wonderful Max Fischer fiasco.  No reason to start now.

-sw

Ay yay aye!  I remember that.... had some heated comments back and forth with that clown...

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:03:08 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 01:04:34 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

-sw

Ay yay aye!  I remember that.... had some heated comments back and forth with that clown...

Yep, I thought you were one of the more prominently involved there, BT.

I said it then and I'll say it now: It is usually with great hesitance that I rip on another writer, but that was an embarrassment.

Sure did kill some time during the offseason though.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.