Author Topic: Patriots Off-Season News  (Read 47212 times)

Re: Patriots Off-Season News
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2024, 04:36:43 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 323
There’s no way to evaluate that trade before either Maye or JJ have played. One Ryan Leaf was worth zero draft picks while Tom Brady was worth 10 first rounders, but there would have been no way to know for at least a year.

« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2024, 08:42:29 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1559
So the Vikings offered 11th, 23rd, 2025 first round pick, and pick swaps but the Patriots declined and drafted Maye. Thoughts? Should they have taken that package? Would they have fleeced the Vikings?

Nope. Not at all, that's not worth the #3 pick. And btw, at #11 the Pats would have only had Bo Nix to choose from, everyone else was taken in the Top-10 including Penix. I know some theorized they do this trade and then trade up again using #11 but seeing how things unfolded, idk if some of those teams would have moved either.

Maybe NYG were fine staying at 6, but they certainly wanted Maye based on rumors (they made an offer to NE as well). ATL took Penix. Vikings moved up a spot and took McCarthy. Wouldn't have been easy and ultimately might not have been worth the trade down to begin with.

Minnesota also isn't a team that "bottoms out" much. The 2025 1st could have very well been a pick in the 20s. Meh.

Now the Giants offer? It was #6, #47, 2025 1st. I might have been okay with that actually, because I think NYG lost a ton in the offseason and could be a team where the 2025 pick would land Top-10 or even Top-5 (NYG isn't projected to be good at all). And at #6, the Pats could have still landed McCarthy or Penix.

I like to think though, the Pats had conviction and loved Maye and took him at #3. I'm good with that too.

You say that the Pats would have been left with Nix but that really isn't true as the Vikings were able to trade up 1 spot and take McCarthy.  So the most likely outcome if the Pats make this trade is that they would have gotten McCarthy as the Vikings did.

I wonder if MIN does this trade once they knew they got McCarthy.  The Pats still could have traded once MIN was on the clock.  The trade would have simply been Maye + the cost to trade up to 10 for McCarthy, #23, and a First in 2025, plus the swaps (the report I heard was the swaps favored MIN).  Probably, once MIN was able to move up to get McCarthy, they were a lot less interested in a trade for Maye.

The big surprise of course was ATL taking Penix.  But even if they took a tackle or whatever, that would have only meant that probably both Penix and McCarthy could have been had at 11 or 10, since no other team took a QB or moved up to take McCarthy.
Minnesota might have been trading up to 3 for McCarthy.  No real way to know.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2024, 11:43:59 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
According to NFL Network's Cameron Wolfe, New England believed they had a trade agreed to with the Buffalo Bills, but the division rivals eventually traded with the Carolina Panthers.

"I talked with someone with the Patriots who felt a little jaded because they thought that they had sort of… close to an agreement with the Bills," Wolfe said on "Patriots Daily Podcast" with Taylor Kyles. "And they believe that agreement was kind of shopped to the Panthers. Because the Panthers have a relationship with Dan Morgan, Brandon Beane...

But ultimately, [the Patriots] ended up not getting up there… and so their top two [Keon] Coleman and [Xavier] Legette both go picked… you hear all the time, ‘Hey we got the guy we wanted, he was gonna be our pick no matter what.’ That wasn’t the case here. The Patriots would’ve loved to have Keon Coleman or Xavier Legette — it did not work that way.”

The Bills sent their pick to Kansas City, who drafted Xavier Worthy and then moved out of No. 32, allowing the Panthers to draft Xavier Legette. Buffalo took Coleman at No. 33.

New England did end up selecting a wide receiver in the second round, Washington's Ja'Lynn Polk, but because they were willing to move back to take him, it's clear that he wasn't the guy they had to leave the draft with.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2024, 11:49:05 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Tom E. Curran was on WEEI a few days ago and said there really isn’t a QB competition. That Mayo has said that Jacoby is the starter. States that they brought Maye in as a project and that they are going to take their time with him. Says that the Pat’s just watched a train wreck with a kid(Mac) who was not surrounded by a good enough support staff and that this player(Maye) isn’t as smart or accurate as the last player(Mac).

He again mentioned that there is no competition to start the season and he’s not sure that Maye would beat out Brissett at this point if there was one anyway. Continues to say that you are not going to bring in a rookie QB to a 4-13 team that doesn’t have an established left tackle, that just ruined its last QB due to A) coaching and B) protection.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 11:54:24 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2024, 04:28:16 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
According to NFL Network's Cameron Wolfe, New England believed they had a trade agreed to with the Buffalo Bills, but the division rivals eventually traded with the Carolina Panthers.

"I talked with someone with the Patriots who felt a little jaded because they thought that they had sort of… close to an agreement with the Bills," Wolfe said on "Patriots Daily Podcast" with Taylor Kyles. "And they believe that agreement was kind of shopped to the Panthers. Because the Panthers have a relationship with Dan Morgan, Brandon Beane...

But ultimately, [the Patriots] ended up not getting up there… and so their top two [Keon] Coleman and [Xavier] Legette both go picked… you hear all the time, ‘Hey we got the guy we wanted, he was gonna be our pick no matter what.’ That wasn’t the case here. The Patriots would’ve loved to have Keon Coleman or Xavier Legette — it did not work that way.”

The Bills sent their pick to Kansas City, who drafted Xavier Worthy and then moved out of No. 32, allowing the Panthers to draft Xavier Legette. Buffalo took Coleman at No. 33.

New England did end up selecting a wide receiver in the second round, Washington's Ja'Lynn Polk, but because they were willing to move back to take him, it's clear that he wasn't the guy they had to leave the draft with.

The Bills trading their best WR to the Patriots doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. I’m not buying that one. This feels a lot like the Ridley story. He was never coming to NE either.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2024, 04:31:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Tom E. Curran was on WEEI a few days ago and said there really isn’t a QB competition. That Mayo has said that Jacoby is the starter. States that they brought Maye in as a project and that they are going to take their time with him. Says that the Pat’s just watched a train wreck with a kid(Mac) who was not surrounded by a good enough support staff and that this player(Maye) isn’t as smart or accurate as the last player(Mac).

He again mentioned that there is no competition to start the season and he’s not sure that Maye would beat out Brissett at this point if there was one anyway. Continues to say that you are not going to bring in a rookie QB to a 4-13 team that doesn’t have an established left tackle, that just ruined its last QB due to A) coaching and B) protection.

It's the smart move. But my only counter to that would be, I at least hope this new regime actually gets the necessary pieces and talent around Maye so that he can succeed in a few years. I mean, Mac looked promising his rookie year. Then the roster got worse + they added Patricia/Judge to the coaching staff and basically wrecked him. They had a chance to make amends after a mediocre 2022 and Belichick did nothing and then the Pats had a 4-13 season between Mac and Zappe.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2024, 08:12:54 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1781
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Anybody watch the Tom Brady roast last night? That was a pretty all-out 3 hours of entertainment

« Reply #232 on: May 06, 2024, 08:22:16 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 235
Anybody watch the Tom Brady roast last night? That was a pretty all-out 3 hours of entertainment

It was pretty good. Not as good as some of those mid 00’s roasts where nothing was off-limits. I think it would have been way better if Seth MacFarlane roasting - not Kevin Hart, who is not funny.

« Reply #233 on: May 06, 2024, 08:47:18 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones

It was pretty good. Not as good as some of those mid 00’s roasts where nothing was off-limits. I think it would have been way better if Seth MacFarlane roasting - not Kevin Hart, who is not funny.

I didn't even know it was on. Just happened to turn on Netflix at 8pm and was like, 'might as well give it a shot.' I appreciated that it was only Patriots and there were definitely some solid moments. I am just surprised at how big of an event it was. They were drilling Bill in the first portion pretty hard, so it was great to see him come out on stage. That was a great set-up and I thought he did really well throughout the night. Made him come off a lot more personable.

« Reply #234 on: May 06, 2024, 11:52:06 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016

Infinitely better than The Dynasty documentary, which was a hit piece done by Robert Kraft.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #235 on: May 06, 2024, 12:41:10 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Infinitely better than The Dynasty documentary, which was a hit piece done by Robert Kraft.

A lot of feel good moments last night for Patriots fans. Bill and Tom doing a shot, Bill and Kraft doing a shot (as uncomfortable as this one was for Bill). Tom willing to get slammed all night. And poor Gronk almost had it worse than Tom. Poor guy is such an easy target.

I was really impressed with the overall production and number of comedians/teammates actually taking the stage. It was a massive event. And I agree, much better than the Dynasty.

« Reply #236 on: May 07, 2024, 02:46:47 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
I was hoping the Pats would have made a run at Tyler Boyd, but he just signed a 1 year deal with the Titans for $4.5M. NE couldn’t have offered him $6-7M? He’s a solid WR… Do players not want to come here or is Kraft just unwilling to spend?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 03:25:00 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #237 on: May 07, 2024, 02:58:53 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 564

It's the smart move. But my only counter to that would be, I at least hope this new regime actually gets the necessary pieces and talent around Maye so that he can succeed in a few years. I mean, Mac looked promising his rookie year. Then the roster got worse + they added Patricia/Judge to the coaching staff and basically wrecked him. They had a chance to make amends after a mediocre 2022 and Belichick did nothing and then the Pats had a 4-13 season between Mac and Zappe.

I didn't realize how young Maye is. He'll only turn 22 in August. I expect they'll let him take a red-shirt year to learn the system and allow the team to fill out their team, and honestly that might be for the best.

« Reply #238 on: May 07, 2024, 03:01:33 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I was hoping the Pats would have made a run at Tyler Boyd, but he just signed a 1 year deal with the Titans for $4.5M. NE couldn’t have offered him $6-7M? He’s a solid WR… Do players not want to come to here or is Kraft just unwilling to spend?

I was hoping similarly. It would be nice to have a proven vet.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #239 on: May 07, 2024, 03:06:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
I was hoping the Pats would have made a run at Tyler Boyd, but he just signed a 1 year deal with the Titans for $4.5M. NE couldn’t have offered him $6-7M? He’s a solid WR… Do players not want to come to here or is Kraft just unwilling to spend?

Idk, but the fact that it took him this long to sign and for that money makes me think there was something teams didn't want. 30 other teams passed on him too.

NE's WR group is a bit crowded. Granted, a few of them should gladly take a hike (like JuJu, Thornton, etc.), but yeah I would have loved Boyd. Tbh I wonder if they look at Osborn the same way and think he'd be redundant.

As for a potential FA target, I would still love to reunite with Stephon Gilmore. He's still available, and can function as a great #2 alongside Gonzalez and veteran presence for the younger guys. The team does still need some depth at CB, like last year they are a Gonzalez and/or Jonathan Jones injury away from having to rely on rookies or mediocre depth pieces.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller