Author Topic: Ten Thoughts From Game 1  (Read 21505 times)

Re: Ten Thoughts From Game 1
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2018, 01:58:18 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I was taking this thread seriously until someone suggested that we should trade Brown for Reddick.

This team is the best team in the league depth is part of quality and the depth of this team gives it an edge over GSW,

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2018, 02:05:33 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Gordon played well for a dude coming back from whole year off.   He needs more time on the court for himself and to become accustomed to his teamates in real game situations.  He looked way more at ease than preseason .   

Kyrie is in a funk.   

When these fellows find their mojo

watch out .

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2018, 04:51:01 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Disagree with 7. Brown didn't finish well tonight but with his usual finishing, he probably puts up 20 tonight. Brown will be a two way star. He has to stay and be used properly.
But you’re only half addressing the point.  I think someone is going to get lost amid all these A players.  I happen to think that guy will be Brown.
I think they will all find their role and on different nights, the leading scorer and star will be different and on many, many nights that star is Brown.

Brown missed several lay ups/offensive rebounds/makeable shots. He could easily have gone for 20+ tonight and if he did I am sure you aren't calling to trade him.
I’m not those makeable misses.  As I recall, he was swallowed up inside several times and he’s never really been known for his touch around the rim anyway.

As far as calling to trade him, that’s not really the premise of my thread last week.  I more was pointing to a guy that might be replaced by another guy to make us better (theoretically).  For instance, I think the Celtics would be better right now with someone like reddick versus brown.

Reddick over Brown? Really? Reddick is 34, Brown is 21
Thats not the point.  I think reddick would be a better fit in this team and make us better right now.

definitely No. A big part of the reason the Celtics are so good is because of having the personnel for switching defense and versatile offense. Putting in someone who can be abused one on one and esp on switches in place of brown who can handle switches 1-4 is comical. Brown can knockdown open threes with high accuracy, which is sadly all reddick gives.

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2018, 04:53:06 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I was taking this thread seriously until someone suggested that we should trade Brown for Reddick.

This team is the best team in the league depth is part of quality and the depth of this team gives it an edge over GSW,

Sixers would do that trade in a heartbeat even if you tell them its for a year only. Really absurd take

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2018, 05:07:47 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
We will have some injury problems throughout the season, just as every team has. This is where our strength begins, compared with other teams. We will always have someone who will step up and take the roll of the scorer who's not available that night. That means that everybody will have their minutes, their games, their moments. The only question is patience. Are they all willing to have enough patience due to higher goals? Kyrie seems fine with that, Al, Smart, Hayward, Tatum, Rozier too. I truly believe Jaylen is in this group as well.

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2018, 05:37:29 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I'd add 2 more takeaways:
1) Baynes was 2/4 on threes. Boy oh boy, we have a stretch 5 bruiser.
2) 9 guys played between 19-29 minutes, lovely.

As Lou Reed would say: "Such a perfect day"
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2018, 06:21:25 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
How do you jump to the conclusion Brown will be lost in all this but Hayward will be fine? You clearly have some sort of bias. Brown>hayward

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2018, 06:43:48 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
No real disagreements except for #7.

Everyone in the top 8 or 9 will get shots.  Our deeper role players will see their minutes and shots fluctuate, but the rotation will work it out. As nick said, different guys will step up.

Jaylen is at worst a top-tier 3-and-D Guy with explosive athleticism who is a great fit in the locker room. He’s not tradeable unless the return is a superstar.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:10:30 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2018, 07:28:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
11.  I think Hayward showed some signs of improvement from the preseason, too.   I loved his four steals, it will come.

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2018, 07:46:09 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Brown will be fine, folks.  He won't get the touches he got last year so his scoring avg could drop, but he is still a potent offensive player in spots (last night he hit a big 3 and had the highlight-reel stuff over Embiid).

There's two things I'm noticing about Brown now:
(1) He tries too hard, including going into lane traffic where he gets swallowed up.  I think he is smart enough to fix that.
(2) If he wants to drive like that, it looks like he needs to add some upper body strength.  He is not like Tatum who is so long that he can get at the cup more easily.

ALSO, ALSO REGARDING LAST NIGHT: He couldn't catch a break from the refs.  He got absolutely clobbered twice on one possession, no call.

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2018, 07:48:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
11.  I think Hayward showed some signs of improvement from the preseason, too.   I loved his four steals, it will come.
Yeah, he read their passing like a book. Think he really studied up while he was out.

His mid-range PnR jumper was falling more this game too, which was exciting
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 08:13:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Baynes hitting threes is a huge court spreader .  He doesn't have alot of D pressure to launch his threes .  He is hard to stop because he takes up alot space , wide body , so it takes a tall man to keep him from shooting .  Irving and Brown will take adavntage of the defensive center being pulled away from the paint .   

Id like to see Al get minutes at PF when Baynes is on his game. This would wreck the defense in the paint.

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 08:18:28 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Another thought on the game, I was glad to see Smart only took 4 shots.  With so many scoring options, he shouldn't be shooting much, but contributing in other ways.  That was nice to see.

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2018, 08:30:48 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Baynes hitting threes is a huge court spreader .  He doesn't have alot of D pressure to launch his threes .  He is hard to stop because he takes up alot space , wide body , so it takes a tall man to keep him from shooting .  Irving and Brown will take adavntage of the defensive center being pulled away from the paint .   

Id like to see Al get minutes at PF when Baynes is on his game. This would wreck the defense in the paint.

Having Baynes as a pick-and-pop 3 point threat will make our pick and roll that much better, too
I'm bitter.

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2018, 09:09:24 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Disagree with 7. Brown didn't finish well tonight but with his usual finishing, he probably puts up 20 tonight. Brown will be a two way star. He has to stay and be used properly.
But you’re only half addressing the point.  I think someone is going to get lost amid all these A players.  I happen to think that guy will be Brown.
I think they will all find their role and on different nights, the leading scorer and star will be different and on many, many nights that star is Brown.

Brown missed several lay ups/offensive rebounds/makeable shots. He could easily have gone for 20+ tonight and if he did I am sure you aren't calling to trade him.
I’m not seeing those makeable misses.  As I recall, he was swallowed up inside several times and he’s never really been known for his touch around the rim anyway.

As far as calling to trade him, that’s not really the premise of my thread last week.  I more was pointing to a guy that might be replaced by another guy to make us better (theoretically).  For instance, I think the Celtics would be better right now with someone like reddick versus brown.

Seek help. You'd have to be nuts to suggest such a trade.

The only way you trade Brown is if it's in a deal for someone like AD. Otherwise, you hold on to a two way player like him with a death grip.