Author Topic: Yankees Aquire Curtis Granderson  (Read 7826 times)

Yankees Aquire Curtis Granderson
« on: December 08, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

Its a three team trade involving the D-Backs, Yanks, and Tigers. Curtis Granderson will head to New York while Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy go to Arizona and Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, Austin Jackson and Phil Coke would land in Detroit.

Great trade for the Yankees, Austin Jackson was always kinda overrated, he should be a solid player but he does not have the star upside people made it seem, Ian Kennedy was their version of Michael Bowden, and Coke has great stuff out of the pen for a lefty but he gives up alot of Hr's and doesnt have the best control. In return they get a good player who will hit 25 homers, steal 25 bases, and play GG defense in center.

Re: Yankees Aquire Curtis Granderson
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 02:34:51 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow, that is a great trade for the Yankees.   [dang] Yankees.   >:(

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:38:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Good trade for the Yankees, but this likely takes them out of the running for Roy Halladay if they don't want to leave their farm system pretty bare.

Your move Red Sox.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:45:04 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
Good trade for the Yankees, but this likely takes them out of the running for Roy Halladay if they don't want to leave their farm system pretty bare.

Your move Red Sox.

All depends how bad the Yanks want Halladay, if they would be willing to give up Jesus Montero they instantly have an advantage as he is the best prospect between the Sox and Yanks. However i cant see them giving him up, the numbers he put up as a 19 year old really are insane. Without him in the deal theyd need to give up one of Hughes/Joba, plus a few of their top prospects like Banuelos/Romine/Mcallister. I actually think they would be willing to strip their system some for Halladay and i dont blame them, yeah your system takes a hit but that team would be ridiculous for the next 5 years. Also like the Sox, they are using alot of money on paying over slot in the draft and on international FA's, so they'd be able to build their system back up pretty quickly.

Im curious to see what the Sox do now, there is definately pressure on them to make some big moves. I personally would be ok with this being somewhat of a rebuilding year but the majority of the fans would not be happy about that, and you know ownership doesnt want to risk losing money.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:56:29 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
What's so great about Granderson?  Last year he hit .249 and struck out 141 times.  And he has stolen as many as 25 bases exactly once in his career, and that was three years ago.  Finally, in his most recent post-season series (2006) he hit .095.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 03:21:46 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
people are focusing on the wrong team...

It is a GREAT trade for the Tigers. 

As for the Yanks, it depends what Granderson shows up.  the guy has been regressing lately, but he is very good defensively and at times has been a dynamic offensive player.

Arizona is flat out stupid...

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:22:42 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
What's so great about Granderson?  Last year he hit .249 and struck out 141 times.  And he has stolen as many as 25 bases exactly once in his career, and that was three years ago.  Finally, in his most recent post-season series (2006) he hit .095.

He is a gold glove center fielder with a career .828 OPS, playing in a HUGE pitchers stadium. The strikeouts dont matter that much,last year he took 72 walks so he see's alot of pitches, he hit 30 homers, and now goes to a park built for a lefty pull hitter like him. He also will probably hit 2nd and have the benefit of hitting infront of A-Rod and Tex, so he will get good pitches to hit.

He isnt a great player, but he is a good all around player going to a great situation. I think he hits around .275 next year with 25-30 homers, probably around 20 steals, and top notch defense. Considering what they gave up its a great deal.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 03:22:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I'm with you on this.  I think he is one of the most overrated players in the league.  He is the classic 5 tool player, who everyone gets so excited about, that they miss that he is not very efficient.

Now don't get me wrong, this was a great trade by the Yankees, and he absolutely helps them.  However, this does not scare me that much, if the Sox do what they need to do.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 03:25:01 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
people are focusing on the wrong team...

It is a GREAT trade for the Tigers. 

As for the Yanks, it depends what Granderson shows up.  the guy has been regressing lately, but he is very good defensively and at times has been a dynamic offensive player.

Arizona is flat out stupid...

Yeah, the Tigers made out like bandits...especially by getting value for Jackson.  If there ever was a pitcher destined to flame out, it's him.  He has nasty stuff, but incredibly inconsistent command. 

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 03:25:23 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Which huge pitcher's stadium are you referring to?  I've got news for you, the new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox with a wind tunnel blowing out towards right center. This will help Granderson's power numbers, but defensively he's really not that much of an upgrade over Melky Cabrera.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 03:29:51 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
Which huge pitcher's stadium are you referring to?  I've got news for you, the new Yankee Stadium is a bandbox with a wind tunnel blowing out towards right center. This will help Granderson's power numbers, but defensively he's really not that much of an upgrade over Melky Cabrera.

I was saying he has a career .828 OPS while hitting at one of the best pitchers parks for half his games, thats pretty good.

Comerica park is one of, if not the best pitchers park in baseball. Now he gets to go to the NYS where balls fly out left and right, his numbers will definately go up there. He also gets to hit infront of Texiera instead of Polanco now, will definately get better pitches to hit.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:38:03 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
the people over at sosh put up Grandersons hit chart from comerica last year, and showed where the hits would land at yankee stadium.  there was 1 foul, 5 fly outs, and 5 doubles that were easy homers at yankee stadium (and that is just accounting for size, not the wind).  that puts Granderson at 41 homers. 

if he stays healthy, it isnt a stretch to assume he hits 40+ next year.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 03:39:39 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
the people over at sosh put up Grandersons hit chart from comerica last year, and showed where the hits would land at yankee stadium.  there was 1 foul, 5 fly outs, and 5 doubles that were easy homers at yankee stadium (and that is just accounting for size, not the wind).  that puts Granderson at 41 homers. 

if he stays healthy, it isnt a stretch to assume he hits 40+ next year.

Thats part of why its a great deal, they really didnt give up much for a guy who is going into a great sitation, between the lineup and that park his numbers will be much better than last years id bet. And even if he struggles and they get last years version of him, his OPS was still 30 points higher than Melky and 60 better than Gardner.

I'm honestly wondering what the hell the D'Backs were thinking, the deal makes no sense for them. Jackson is more the pitcher we saw in the 2nd half of last season, and Kennedy has fringe stuff and is a 4th starter at best, Coke is a good reliever in the NL i guess.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:44:50 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
To me, the Yankees had a need and addressed it.  They upgraded in the OF and they did it without breaking the bank to do it.  That's why I feel its a good deal for them. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 03:42:36 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I like Baseball.