Author Topic: Michael Bowden Called Up To Boston  (Read 3166 times)

Michael Bowden Called Up To Boston
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:27:20 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
I really didnt think it would happen this year but Michael Bowden has been called up to Boston and although it says Pauley is starting still in the article below I have a feeling that is a mixup and Bowden will be, i dont think they would have him in the Pen without getting any work there in AAA. Most likely the reason they are doing this now is because it's before Sep. 1st and they may want him to be on the postseason roster.

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs...ect-bowden.html

Im pretty excited, his stuff isnt as good as Buchholz but its better than Mastersons and he like Masterson is very mature so even though he is 21 it hopefully wont be too much for him.

Re: Michael Bowden Called Up To Boston
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 09:43:45 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
No suprise as i figured it but Orsillo just says Bowden is starting tomorrow, im pretty excited and will have to leave work early to see.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 12:01:34 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
some clay bucholz type of excitement with the new kid coming up. I have a feeling though unlike the fraile bucholz this guy will actually be able to stick around. He has size, he has pitches and this could be an amazing chance for him to jed lowrie it.(not challenged enough in the minors but great in the majors)

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 12:15:56 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
some clay bucholz type of excitement with the new kid coming up. I have a feeling though unlike the fraile bucholz this guy will actually be able to stick around. He has size, he has pitches and this could be an amazing chance for him to jed lowrie it.(not challenged enough in the minors but great in the majors

Chances are after his start today he is going to go the Masterson route and join the bullpen, he threw 142.2 innings last year and has already thrown 144.1, if he goes 5 innings tonight he will be at 150 and only have 22 innings left for the season before being shutdown which they WILL do in his case because of him being only 21. For that 22 innings it could be 3 starts or 10-15 relief appearences, theres a minor chance he may make another start after this and then join the Pen but i think this will be his only start of the year in Boston.

They are playing great baseball as of late but we all know their big weakness is the pen and once Bowden joins it will look more like Masterson/Bowden/Delcarmen/Okajima/Papelbon with Lopez for situations and Timlin for when we are up or down 10+ runs. THe more quality arms there the better, being able to go to Bowden or Masterson in the 6th-7th will help out Delcarmen and Okajkima because theyve had to come in way too many times this year early in games with men on base an no outs. What everybody will like about Bowden is the fact that he doesnt walk people.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 12:32:47 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Good job by the kid tonite. Mixes up pitches well. Jeff suppan comparison by experts right on the money

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 01:52:50 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
That was the first time I've seen Bowden pitch.  If anybody offers him a long term contract he should grab it. 

That all-arm throwing motion doesn't bode well for a long career.  His throwing motion reminds me of Keith Foulke's.

He was very impressive last night.  Especially his knack for getting himself out of trouble.

On an unrelated subject, I saw Trot Nixon play in an AAA game in Omaha Tuesday night.  Nixon looked a little stiff in left field but very impressive at the plate.  He doesn't look like he's running particularly well.  They have him listed in a "rehab" assignment.  But he has over 200 at bats so it must be an awfully long rehab. assignment.