Author Topic: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard!!!  (Read 69759 times)

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard!!!
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2020, 10:18:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
He was awesome in college. Sort of like how Tony Allen and Tyler Hansbrough were in college.

Here's hoping that PP has a career that is more like Tony Allen and less like Tyler Hansbrough.

If he's somewhere in between the two, then it counts as a good pick.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2020, 10:54:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is what Danny is talking about regarding Pritchard. He pushes the ball up the floor hard. Especially odd man rushes.   I can see the VanVleet comparison in this aspect.  Goodluck trying to defend this. Really tough when a wide shoulder player is going downhill like that

https://youtu.be/t7bgbeyVbro

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2020, 02:55:45 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
This is what Danny is talking about regarding Pritchard. He pushes the ball up the floor hard. Especially odd man rushes.   I can see the VanVleet comparison in this aspect.  Goodluck trying to defend this. Really tough when a wide shoulder player is going downhill like that

Pritchard has a long way and a tome of work to get near the player VanVleet is but there games are similar, tough, hard workers, strong, shoots from way outside. Pritchard may have. A better handle that VanVleet but he’s still got become. The tough tireless worker that VanVleet is. If the Celtics could have a player who is a poormans. versione.

have some one close to

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2020, 11:46:11 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What is a shorter Malcolm Brogdon in the NBA? Because I think Pritchard could be that. DJ Augustine? Monte Morris?

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2020, 12:00:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What is a shorter Malcolm Brogdon in the NBA? Because I think Pritchard could be that. DJ Augustine? Monte Morris?

Naw. They are different

PP likes to push the pace.  Brogdon is slow and plodding half court player

Style wise PP reminds me of Kidd.  Body wise, shooting, motor, iq, clutch a hybrid of Dragic/Van Vleet. 

Is he as good as any of them? Remains to be seen. His work ethic and highlights make you think he will be at least a good/tough/productive backup pg
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:07:34 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2020, 02:19:42 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Let me further expand on the pick reminding me of the Langford pick. Some got the wrong idea of it being a player comp.

Herro went right before Langford and that was who DA reportedly wanted.

Quickley went just before Pitchard I believe Quickley was who DA wanted at 26.
I doubt it, given Quickley was a mid-2nd round talent.
Yeah, I doubt that too. Quickley was a huge reach by New York, so I don't think that was the player Danny Ainge wants. If anything, I think he was hoping someone like RJ Hampton would fall to 26.
You should know Pritchard was also considered 2nd round talent and was considered a reach.

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2020, 02:22:59 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
people saying Pritchard cannot be Van Vleet forget that Van Vleet was not even drafted, was he?

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2020, 02:23:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Let me further expand on the pick reminding me of the Langford pick. Some got the wrong idea of it being a player comp.

I doubt it, given Quickley was a mid-2nd round talent.
Yeah, I doubt that too. Quickley was a huge reach by New York, so I don't think that was the player Danny Ainge wants. If anything, I think he was hoping someone like RJ Hampton would fall to 26.
You should know Pritchard was also considered 2nd round talent and was considered a reach.

I’m pretty sure the Raps would’ve taken him with 29.

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2020, 02:23:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
people saying Pritchard cannot be Van Vleet forget that Van Vleet was not even drafted, was he?

Nope. He was also a four year player I believe....

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2020, 02:29:21 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

What gave you that idea?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2020, 06:16:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

What gave you that idea?
Quickley is more of a combo guard as he can defend 1s and 2s and has length. That fits more with what DA drafts. Pritchard's knock is his defense. He is a scoring PG mostly. Still an okay pick like Langford but we may be regretting it all the same saying, "what if".

« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2020, 10:06:01 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

I don't want to have any expectations that any rookies are going to contribute right away but it would be really nice to have a pg with an eye to push the ball. Get him on the floor with Jaylen and Timelord and and see what kind of damage can be done in the fast break.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2020, 11:56:48 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

What gave you that idea?

I thought I saw a report were Ainge said he’s been following Pritchard since high school because he’s got Oregon connections?

Am I the only one that read that? It certainly makes it sound like this was Danny’s guy. He might have been unknown and “a reach” to everyone else, but Ainge knows him and values him higher than the other options.

It was also reported that Pritchard had a late 1st promise, and someone up above said that was the Raptors at 29. That precludes Danny from waiting until #30 or the 2nd round to pick him, doesn’t it? If he was Danny’s pick? He wasn’t a guy that was falling, so it definitely sounds like he is someone Danny didn’t want to lose to another team! Besides pick 30 may have already been promised at that point, so another reason not to wait.

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2020, 11:55:33 PM »

Offline Greenblood35

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
Was just watching some more of his clips. He's one of those players you can't take your eyes off of. Who knows what he will turn into, but maaaan, his handles are on another level. Not saying he is or will be those players but he has that Jason Williams, Kenny Anderson, (Detroit) Isiah kind of ball skills. And he can shoot. I'm excited to see this kid play and see what kind of role he can fill over the season. He certainly seems to have an amazing work ethic from the stories and interviews. I can definitely see him being a fan favorite, and hopefully a really solid player for us.

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2020, 12:01:50 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Was just watching some more of his clips. He's one of those players you can't take your eyes off of. Who knows what he will turn into, but maaaan, his handles are on another level. Not saying he is or will be those players but he has that Jason Williams, Kenny Anderson, (Detroit) Isiah kind of ball skills. And he can shoot. I'm excited to see this kid play and see what kind of role he can fill over the season. He certainly seems to have an amazing work ethic from the stories and interviews. I can definitely see him being a fan favorite, and hopefully a really solid player for us.

Yeah, his handles and shot is elite. The defense is the problem but he plays hard on that end too. If he can play that hard for 36 minutes a game just think what he can do in 10-12 minutes off the bench.