Author Topic: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard!!!  (Read 69900 times)

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard!!!
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2020, 08:16:53 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Pritchard is growing on me more and more.

I hope he adapts soon and well. If he can be 90 % of his college impact in the NBA he can be a starter.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2020, 08:42:22 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I am here to tell you all.  This is one of the best picks in the draft.  I take it that many of you don't stay up to watch PAC12 basketball. It is not often that you can get a player at 26 that is as accomplished and has as many elite skills/traits that he has. 

1.  He is easily one of the best shooting PGs in this draft.  His range is limitless.

2.  His handle is tight.  Super shifty and crafty with the ball in his hands and generates space to get shots off and make plays.

3.  Ultimate competitor and clutch as hell. 

They say size is a detriment but he is 6'2 not 5'10.  I have watched alot of his games and he was very high on my board.  You will love him.  Just watch his highlights and you will quickly change your minds.

As a UW alum (and someone who travels to the west coast a lot) I DO stay up and watch a fair amount of pac-12 games.

I hated this guy.

But I love this pick.

I hated this guy because he was that guy on Oregon who simply made every freaking ridiculous play against my team and whatever other team I saw them play against.   Does anybody else remember how irritating it was to watch Rick Barry?   How he always made tough, gritty play after play that had no business happening?   That's this guy.

Pritchard is a baller.   Best point guard in the NCAA this last year.

No, he doesn't have elite size & athleticism and he's a senior and thus probably has limited 'upside'.   Not the highest "ceiling".   But he's got probably the highest "floor" of any player in this draft.   

His skills are rock solid on just about everything you could want from a point guard.  He's wicked basketball-smart and dominated the floor for Oregon this last year, carrying that team to a 24-7 record (no other player averaged even 13 points on that team) and he did it not just with shooting, but by dealing a ton of assists and just plain making smart play after smart play.

He'll be a fan favorite very quick and I will be shocked if he doesn't earn legit minutes very quick.

He was clearly picked to be a 'safe', ready-to-play pick.  This pick and the signing of Teague are almost certainly because Danny wants to manage Kemba's minutes.

Wanamaker was a solid guy for us last year, good shooter and tough defender, but his turnovers were killer.  Both Teague and Pritchard have much, much better handles and are better playmakers.

I don't believe Pritchard will ever be a "star" - he'll probably never sniff an All-Star invite.  But he's the kind of player who will probably have a JJ Barea type career.   Stays in the league for a decade, moving across a few teams, some good some bad, and at every stop ending up being far more important to the rotation than expected.   He's actually a lot like JJ except he's much bigger and a lot, lot better shooter.

Great pick by Danny at #26.

Dare I say, DA2? 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2020, 11:01:09 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Unfortunately, it sounds like he'll get his opportunities early this season. Sink or swim, I guess.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Pritchard is growing on me more and more.

I hope he adapts soon and well. If he can be 90 % of his college impact in the NBA he can be a starter.

Not worried about the offensive aspect

But defensively he is going to have to work extra hard to not only stay in front of his man. But also navigate through screens/picks .... without fouling

Carsen Edwards was a step late almost everytime last season

Pgs at the nba have it the roughest at the D end

« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2020, 11:57:26 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Unfortunately, it sounds like he'll get his opportunities early this season. Sink or swim, I guess.

he may stink ......i mean sink ;D.....but from what videoi ve seen it won't be from lack of effort or attitude

« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2020, 12:11:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I already posted this link ....  but you can see how hard Pritchard pushes the ball up the court

https://youtu.be/t7bgbeyVbro

Brad Stevens has to allow this vs the slow plodding walk up the court most of the time

We saw vs Raptors and Heat and in general these years....Tommy screaming "push the ball up before the defense sets.... oh come on (when it doesn't happen)"

Not sure if guys are tired ... but most of the time its just slow plodding/walking up to mid court. Killing 5-6 seconds , letting the D setup

Rondo was the worst at this. Irving was not much better.  Kemba similar.   Brad Stevens several times yelling, push the ball up the court vs the Heat

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 12:16:35 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2020, 12:15:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
2020 PAC 12 title game

Pritchard 29 pts   4 for 9 (3 pt)

Tyrell Terry 6pts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PBx14yk0tQ

« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2020, 12:20:26 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I already posted this link ....  but you can see how hard Pritchard pushes the ball up the court

https://youtu.be/t7bgbeyVbro

Brad Stevens has to allow this vs the slow plodding walk up the court most of the time

We saw vs Raptors and Heat and in general these years....Tommy screaming "push the ball up before the defense sets.... oh come on (when it doesn't happen)"

Not sure if guys are tired ... but most of the time its just slow plodding/walking up to mid court. Killing 5-6 seconds , letting the D setup

Rondo was the worst at this. Irving was not much better.  Kemba similar.   Brad Stevens several times yelling, push the ball up the court vs the Heat

Seriously 5 TPs for this post. There is literally ZERO reason a team shouldn't have their first pick set with 20 seconds still on the clock....

SO many possessions last year saw us getting into sets late, and settling for mid range jumper or a hard rim contest. Getting the ball up early should be standard fare in 2020

Literally the only teams who CAN get away with this on occasion is LeBron, Harden, and Doncic. Maaaaaybe Rubio
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2020, 01:44:42 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
Wouldn't Tommy love this pick? A guy who makes the team run! He's the ultimate TP....as in Tommy Pick.

« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2020, 02:05:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Saw this guy doing shooting drills and he was shooting fade aways exactly like Steve Nash used to.

Therefore he will become Steve Nash
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2020, 05:22:17 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I am here to tell you all.  This is one of the best picks in the draft.  I take it that many of you don't stay up to watch PAC12 basketball. It is not often that you can get a player at 26 that is as accomplished and has as many elite skills/traits that he has. 

1.  He is easily one of the best shooting PGs in this draft.  His range is limitless.

2.  His handle is tight.  Super shifty and crafty with the ball in his hands and generates space to get shots off and make plays.

3.  Ultimate competitor and clutch as hell. 

They say size is a detriment but he is 6'2 not 5'10.  I have watched alot of his games and he was very high on my board.  You will love him.  Just watch his highlights and you will quickly change your minds.

As a UW alum (and someone who travels to the west coast a lot) I DO stay up and watch a fair amount of pac-12 games.

I hated this guy.

But I love this pick.

I hated this guy because he was that guy on Oregon who simply made every freaking ridiculous play against my team and whatever other team I saw them play against.   Does anybody else remember how irritating it was to watch Rick Barry?   How he always made tough, gritty play after play that had no business happening?   That's this guy.

Pritchard is a baller.   Best point guard in the NCAA this last year.

No, he doesn't have elite size & athleticism and he's a senior and thus probably has limited 'upside'.   Not the highest "ceiling".   But he's got probably the highest "floor" of any player in this draft.   

His skills are rock solid on just about everything you could want from a point guard.  He's wicked basketball-smart and dominated the floor for Oregon this last year, carrying that team to a 24-7 record (no other player averaged even 13 points on that team) and he did it not just with shooting, but by dealing a ton of assists and just plain making smart play after smart play.

He'll be a fan favorite very quick and I will be shocked if he doesn't earn legit minutes very quick.

He was clearly picked to be a 'safe', ready-to-play pick.  This pick and the signing of Teague are almost certainly because Danny wants to manage Kemba's minutes.

Wanamaker was a solid guy for us last year, good shooter and tough defender, but his turnovers were killer.  Both Teague and Pritchard have much, much better handles and are better playmakers.

I don't believe Pritchard will ever be a "star" - he'll probably never sniff an All-Star invite.  But he's the kind of player who will probably have a JJ Barea type career.   Stays in the league for a decade, moving across a few teams, some good some bad, and at every stop ending up being far more important to the rotation than expected.   He's actually a lot like JJ except he's much bigger and a lot, lot better shooter.

Great pick by Danny at #26.

Dare I say, DA2?

OMIGOD - that was staring me in the face and I didn't see it.   Good comp in terms of attitude and competitiveness.

Obviously pretty different physically and skillwise.   Danny was a truly elite athlete, multi-sport star and bigger.  Shooting guard.   Great defender.

Pritchard is smaller, but has an amazing handle and is an elite shooter.  Pure PG.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2020, 06:04:19 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
why is Payton Pritchard also the GM of the Pacers?

:D

« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2020, 06:52:59 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586

[/quote

It was agreed that Pritchard could play for the Celtics as long as he maintained his office hours as president of basketball operations for the Pacers. Using Zoom conference calling and texting, it was felt by Pacer's management he could keep up with his work flow and develop as a backup point guard for the Celtics.

"I can't thank Pacer's ownership enough for this once in a lifetime opportunity to play point for the Boston Celtics while running the Pacers...it's a dream come true. Deion Sanders has nothing on me!"

I don't know if the tweet above is a blue check or not.

« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2020, 07:38:21 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

[/quote

It was agreed that Pritchard could play for the Celtics as long as he maintained his office hours as president of basketball operations for the Pacers. Using Zoom conference calling and texting, it was felt by Pacer's management he could keep up with his work flow and develop as a backup point guard for the Celtics.

"I can't thank Pacer's ownership enough for this once in a lifetime opportunity to play point for the Boston Celtics while running the Pacers...it's a dream come true. Deion Sanders has nothing on me!"

I don't know if the tweet above is a blue check or not.

TP

« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2020, 07:52:03 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The thing about him that stood out for me was his handle is elite. Guys who come into the league who can dribble like that usually do well