Author Topic: So who is our big man of future  (Read 5526 times)

Re: So who is our big man of future
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2019, 08:59:12 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Our big man of the future could be the one we pick using the Memphis pick.
likely this
Will have to be the steal of the 2021 draft because:

Memphis are tanking this year and will keep their pick.

Next season they have more than $75M of cap space so they can become an average team in one off season.

I am prepared for this Memphis pick to be in the same mold as the Sacramento pick this year.  11-16 range.

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2019, 09:04:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
likely this

Hopefully it's the one we trade for using the MEM pick. We are over two years from that player even being a rookie - assuming it's not a 7+ pick in next year's draft.

I have my doubts about Timelord, but it's good to see him training hard this off-season. It sure would be a nice surprise for one of our recent later picks to turn into something decent.
not sure what big man would push to make themselves available that we would want and be willing to give up that pick as part of a trade.  would also require salary matching in all likelihood so we'll end up going through the whole thing we did this season again next year.

only one I could potentially see is KAT if he's grown sick of Minny's losing. 

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2019, 09:07:14 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
At the moment, it’s Timelord. I expect him to get minutes and develop this year. Need to see what he can bring. He could be a solid rotational piece for this team.

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2019, 09:13:38 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Could be Memphis Pick. I hear he's good - or maybe the guy we'll trade him for.

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2019, 09:19:24 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
likely this

Next season they have more than $75M of cap space so they can become an average team in one off season.

I am prepared for this Memphis pick to be in the same mold as the Sacramento pick this year.  11-16 range.

I do not expect big free agents to be flocking to Memphis. If we think the Knicks have trouble getting someone to a big media town, Memphis has even more strikes against them. Time will tell but I see that Memphis pick staying in the bottom 10 for the next 2-3 years.

The free agent class next year is not the best either. Many are restricted and the top one, Davis will resign with the Lakers barring something Chaos infused and even then, he is not going to be joining Memphis. he wants to be on a proven winner.

Then we have Simmons who is restricted as is Siakam followed by Green from the Warriorsn who is unrestricted. Cant see them letting him go and if he did, don't think Memphis is at the top of his list.

Lowry, Dragic and the list gets weaker and weaker.

2021 Free Agent  Class is much better so if they are going to make a huge jump up, I would predict it will happen after that summer but they will be competing against some big market teams once again.

I guess it is always possible they make a trade to get a star there but building their youth core might be their best path to become better for the near future.

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2019, 09:19:51 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
likely this

Hopefully it's the one we trade for using the MEM pick. We are over two years from that player even being a rookie - assuming it's not a 7+ pick in next year's draft.

I have my doubts about Timelord, but it's good to see him training hard this off-season. It sure would be a nice surprise for one of our recent later picks to turn into something decent.
not sure what big man would push to make themselves available that we would want and be willing to give up that pick as part of a trade.  would also require salary matching in all likelihood so we'll end up going through the whole thing we did this season again next year.

only one I could potentially see is KAT if he's grown sick of Minny's losing.

I have to think MIN missing out on D-Lo might have made KAT disgruntled some what.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2019, 09:38:39 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
likely this

next years draft is SG heavy, and I thin we need to have the pick convey next season as there is a very good chance that Memphis is not trash in 2 years and instead looks more like Kings of this season.

Wiseman is probably top 6 for sure, meaning we couldnt get him.

Carney and Bassey might be available in the 20s though.

in 2021 when the pick in unprotected, there are a number of good looking prospects so far.
Mobley, Maker, Jones, Diop and I am sure many others.

I am really big on Makur Maker. Got some KG Like skills on him, great ball handler, can pass very well, a true 7 footer already, solid shooting form, excellent athletecism. He has the skills of a guard in a 7 foot body

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2019, 02:02:23 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
likely this

next years draft is SG heavy, and I thin we need to have the pick convey next season as there is a very good chance that Memphis is not trash in 2 years and instead looks more like Kings of this season.

Wiseman is probably top 6 for sure, meaning we couldnt get him.

Carney and Bassey might be available in the 20s though.

in 2021 when the pick in unprotected, there are a number of good looking prospects so far.
Mobley, Maker, Jones, Diop and I am sure many others.

I am really big on Makur Maker. Got some KG Like skills on him, great ball handler, can pass very well, a true 7 footer already, solid shooting form, excellent athletecism. He has the skills of a guard in a 7 foot body

I agree with Memphis not beings trash in 2 years. I wouldn’t hold my breath for that pick, Danny doesn’t have a great history of drafting bigs.

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2019, 02:21:57 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm betting on Robert Williams.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2019, 02:30:17 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
will be thrilled if Timelord just becomes a viable backup eventually  :D

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2019, 02:50:57 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
will be thrilled if Timelord just becomes a viable backup eventually  :D

Here's what brings hope of more that a viable backup:

https://stats.nba.com/articles/2018-nba-draft-profile-robert-williams/

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/22/17149150/robert-williams-texas-am-sweet-16

I also point out, he was a consensus four-star recruit, he ranked 50th overall in ESPN’s Top 100 for the class of 2016.

This is one where other teams are going to say, how did he slip by!

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2019, 03:08:01 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
likely this

I do not expect big free agents to be flocking to Memphis. If we think the Knicks have trouble getting someone to a big media town, Memphis has even more strikes against them. Time will tell but I see that Memphis pick staying in the bottom 10 for the next 2-3 years.

The free agent class next year is not the best either. Many are restricted and the top one, Davis will resign with the Lakers barring something Chaos infused and even then, he is not going to be joining Memphis. he wants to be on a proven winner.

Then we have Simmons who is restricted as is Siakam followed by Green from the Warriorsn who is unrestricted. Cant see them letting him go and if he did, don't think Memphis is at the top of his list.

Lowry, Dragic and the list gets weaker and weaker.

2021 Free Agent  Class is much better so if they are going to make a huge jump up, I would predict it will happen after that summer but they will be competing against some big market teams once again.

I guess it is always possible they make a trade to get a star there but building their youth core might be their best path to become better for the near future.
Memphis don’t need to sign Davis or the other top free agents to become an average team. I’m fully in favor of trading the pick - hopefully to the wizards for Beal (it will take much more than that)

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Man people are really scarred by last season, Memphis is not likely to be competitive in the west the next two years.

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2019, 04:50:14 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Man people are really scarred by last season, Memphis is not likely to be competitive in the west the next two years.

it's both the Lakers 2018 and Sacramento 2019 exceeding expectations

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2019, 04:54:41 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I find it hard to speak in such absolutes.

And I am certain a number of people claimed there was no way that sacramento would be competetive in the west last season.

Its very reasonable to see Morant have a r.o.y. impact, jjj to continue to improve, jonas to keep doing his double double stuff and then in offseason they have alot of capspace and a potential top pick again.