Author Topic: So who is our big man of future  (Read 5527 times)

Re: So who is our big man of future
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 08:14:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Trying to steal other teams superstar player is not a good way to build a team.

It's just too risky!

I think the lesson is that you want to build a team that has depth, has a system that works and highlights of the skills of the best players, and maintain a clean cap sheet.

That way you have flexibility and are a reasonably attractive destination whenever a major player becomes available by trade or in FA.

The Nets built a nice young team, they had the flexibility to create a bunch of cap space without sacrificing any of their key pieces, and they had the benefit of being located in a place where certain NBA stars would like to be.

Teams shouldn't throw away an entire season just to chase a certain free agent.  But you can definitely position yourself to pounce on an opportunity to acquire a good player.  Of course, if your team isn't located in a destination market, you may still be kind of boned unless you already have some really exciting players on your team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2019, 08:40:17 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I like our bigs

Give them a chance

People are so negative on our bigs and we haven't even seen them on the court yet. Let's wait till at least November before we call them Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.hounds.  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 08:40:55 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Give it Time.

Time Lord.

One year in our time is one minute for the Time Lord

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 08:49:05 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
All of you, get a hold of yourselves.

We have Tacko.

He is taller than anyone...wait a minute, I meant everyone.

He has PHD level intellect...he can figure this out.

He doesn't need to run because two walking steps covers 17 feet. Thus, he never gets that tired.

His wingspan at 10 feet means he doesn't have to jump...this eliminates the need to "get airborne" and saves time.

He can't shoot, but, we have plenty of shooters.

He weighs 310 pounds which means he only weighs 20 pounds less than Marcus Cannon who is an excellent blocker and has three championship rings.

His lateral movement is slow, but, opponents have so much greater a distance to move around Tacko, this is equalized.

He is an engineer allowing him to assess the necessary angles and needed forces to excel under the basket.

Finally, everyone in the National Basketball Association is smaller than Tacko and he is our Tacko.

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 08:53:14 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I bet Tacko doesn’t even make the team. Hope I’m wrong.

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 08:54:33 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
This search for a center is beginning to remind me of the Red Sox search for bullpen arms in spring training this year: let's bring in a bunch of low cost guys, largely untested unknowns, and let's see if we can find a diamond. Well, it clearly hasn't worked out for the Red Sox, and now let's see what happens with the Celtics. Both teams constrained by cap space. Similar situations. I hope Danny has more luck with this approach. I even like some of those guys.

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 09:12:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He actually has a $50,000 bonus in his contract that kicks in only after he gets cut. If, once he is cut, he joins Maine in the G League for next year, he gets the $50,000.

So Ainge really doesn't expect him to make the team but is rewarding Tako for staying in Maine where Boston can still develop him and maybe, Tako gets a real shot the year after.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 09:25:27 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
TACKO FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 09:35:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
310 lb = alot of Tacko s

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 09:43:36 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Give it Time.

Time Lord.

One year in our time is one minute for the Time Lord

😹 tp
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2019, 06:40:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
He actually has a $50,000 bonus in his contract that kicks in only after he gets cut. If, once he is cut, he joins Maine in the G League for next year, he gets the $50,000.

So Ainge really doesn't expect him to make the team but is rewarding Tako for staying in Maine where Boston can still develop him and maybe, Tako gets a real shot the year after.
Good to know Nick, thx.  I hadn't heard about using this approach before.  I suppose however, that means Tacko would not be under actual control of the team.  Just 50 grand of "good will" to stay close.

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2019, 07:02:14 AM »

Offline maklin

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
they probably want to develop TimeLord into something useful.
If this doesn't pan out, they might trade away theis, yabu and one of either RW or Poirier for a decent big.
Disappointment is anger for wimps.

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2019, 07:13:53 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
they probably want to develop TimeLord into something useful.
If this doesn't pan out, they might trade away theis, yabu and one of either RW or Poirier for a decent big.
You know what Danny would say, "I like all of our bigs."  That would mean a trade for sure, prolly at the deadline.

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2019, 08:25:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Our big man of the future could be the one we pick using the Memphis pick.
likely this

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Our big man of the future could be the one we pick using the Memphis pick.
likely this

Hopefully it's the one we trade for using the MEM pick. We are over two years from that player even being a rookie - assuming it's not a 7+ pick in next year's draft.

I have my doubts about Timelord, but it's good to see him training hard this off-season. It sure would be a nice surprise for one of our recent later picks to turn into something decent.