Author Topic: WOJ: Wanamaker returns to C’s  (Read 4248 times)

Re: WOJ: Wanamaker returns to C’s
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 06:56:12 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Dont like Centers and PFs except for Enes..Tatum is a SF..hopefully a trade coming for another big
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2019, 06:57:53 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Wanamaker is back baby!!!

I am ready to go to war!!

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2019, 06:59:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Maybe Wanamaker knows something we don't.

I mean why would he come back just to sit on the bench again.

There's more to this move IMO.

It's really possible the Celts will make a trade for a star player before the season starts.

I think if the Celts can trade Smart, Jaylen, and Yabu for Bradley Beal, Celts will be contenders this coming season.

Why would there be more to the move? The Celtics with Stevens have always carried at least three PG on the roster. So that’s the C’s motivation.  Meanwhile,  Wanamaker is making the minimum, which was all he was getting from other teams at best, or he could return to Europe.  By signing a 1-year deal with the Celts he’ll a) have the right to refuse any trade, and b) the Celts will holds his early Bird rights next year.  Those same rights just helped get Theis a 2-year $10 million deal — might as well re-up here and give yourself a chance at a similar payday.

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2019, 07:12:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Wanamaker is alright - I guess Brad and Danny liked him enough to give him another chance so that is nice. I agree that he is probably back because of Edwards/Langford potentially not being ready right away, but I don't think he is in line for a rotational role.

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
great, I really like Wannamaker. Smart savy vet

I do believe something is coming though, got some more salaries now to make something happen.  I would not be surprised if a trade is made in 90 days.

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2019, 07:38:25 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

It's really possible the Celts will make a trade for a star player before the season starts.

I think if the Celts can trade Smart, Jaylen, and Yabu for Bradley Beal, Celts will be contenders this coming season.

Why would there be more to the move? The Celtics with Stevens have always carried at least three PG on the roster. So that’s the C’s motivation.  Meanwhile,  Wanamaker is making the minimum, which was all he was getting from other teams at best, or he could return to Europe.  By signing a 1-year deal with the Celts he’ll a) have the right to refuse any trade, and b) the Celts will holds his early Bird rights next year.  Those same rights just helped get Theis a 2-year $10 million deal — might as well re-up here and give yourself a chance at a similar payday.

I'm not saying Wanamaker will be the one moved.

Wanamaker chose the Celts over Europe last year.
He could've gotten more money in Europe.
So clearly Wanamaker wants a chance to play in the NBA.
It will not be possible if the Celts have Kemba, Smart, and Carsen Edwards at PG.

But if the Celts make a move, like trading Smart, Brown, and Yabu for Bradley Beal, that will allow Wanamaker to get playing time.

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2019, 07:47:49 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

It will not be possible if the Celts have Kemba, Smart, and Carsen Edwards at PG.

But if the Celts make a move, like trading Smart, Brown, and Yabu for Bradley Beal, that will allow Wanamaker to get playing time.

It is more likely that the Cs will do nothing else for now and, unless a great deal presents itself, the Cs will not make any more major moves until the trade deadline.  I am sure DA wants to determine who is worth paying long term and, now that Irving and Horford are gone, he can see who steps up in their absence and who is likely to fail.

The Cs are contenders for a playoff spot, not the title, as presently constituted.

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2019, 10:27:01 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Good.  Liked him better than glory hog rozier

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2019, 10:45:19 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

It is more likely that the Cs will do nothing else for now and, unless a great deal presents itself, the Cs will not make any more major moves until the trade deadline.  I am sure DA wants to determine who is worth paying long term and, now that Irving and Horford are gone, he can see who steps up in their absence and who is likely to fail.

The Cs are contenders for a playoff spot, not the title, as presently constituted.
Which is about all we could realistically hope for given the departures of Kyrie & Horford.  There was no option available that would make this team a championship contender heading into the season.  All in all I think Ainge has done an excellent job given the hand he was dealt.

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2019, 11:58:07 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Which is about all we could realistically hope for given the departures of Kyrie & Horford.  There was no option available that would make this team a championship contender heading into the season.  All in all I think Ainge has done an excellent job given the hand he was dealt.

Yes. We will put a good product out there while still having flexibilty.

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2019, 12:19:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Waste of a roster spot. Stevens didn't trust him enough to use him last year. Why would this year be any different?
I think he'll get more of a shot this year.

Stevens definitely felt the need to give Rozier minutes regardless of how he was playing. Whether it was loyalty from the playoff run, or based on some sort of conversation or understanding in the off season about his role. He always seemed to get his fixed minutes...

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2019, 01:38:22 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I kind of don’t get this move. Wanamaker might be a great person and all but we already got a lot of PG and SG on this team. I would have preferred to use the last roster spot on a big man since we (at least defensively) aren’t very strong on those positions (PF and C).

Guess the rotation will look something like this:

PG: Walker, (Smart), Edwards, Wanamaker
SG: J. Brown, Smart, Langford
SF: Hayward, (Tatum), Ojeleye
PF: Tatum, Theis, Grant Williams, Yabu
C: Kanter, Poirier, Rob Williams

We will have problems defending dominant big men, i.e. Embild, and I foresee us getting out rebounded by other teams as per usual

Kanter 31 points and 20 reb vs Embiid and 76ers

https://youtu.be/c6GuNEBW9pY

That’s well beside the point. I’m well aware that Kanter is a good offensive player but my point was that we would have trouble defending players such as Embiid.

And since when have we begun to justify the “winner” of a given matchup based on one game? Yes, Kanter outscored Embiid in the game you are referencing to but you fail to mention that Embiid scored 25 points and grabbed 16 rebounds, which gives you a jist of Kanter’s defensive skills against dominant big men.

The last 3 times (I’ll exclude the game on the 28. March 2018 as Embiid went out with an injury after 5 minutes of play) the two players squared up against eachother, Embiid was (based on the two parameters that you mention) the victor of the personal matchup against Kanter:

19. December 2019
Embiid: 24 points, 10 rebounds.
Kanter: 15 points, 6 rebounds.

28. November 2018
Embiid: 26 points, 14 rebounds.
Kanter: 17 points, 6 rebounds.

15. March 2018
Embiid: 29 points, 10 rebounds.
Kanter: 14 points, 10 rebounds.

Hence my point still stands.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2019, 02:05:12 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Because we want to have something to hope for  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2019, 02:08:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I kind of don’t get this move. Wanamaker might be a great person and all but we already got a lot of PG and SG on this team. I would have preferred to use the last roster spot on a big man since we (at least defensively) aren’t very strong on those positions (PF and C).

Guess the rotation will look something like this:

PG: Walker, (Smart), Edwards, Wanamaker
SG: J. Brown, Smart, Langford
SF: Hayward, (Tatum), Ojeleye
PF: Tatum, Theis, Grant Williams, Yabu
C: Kanter, Poirier, Rob Williams

We will have problems defending dominant big men, i.e. Embild, and I foresee us getting out rebounded by other teams as per usual

Kanter 31 points and 20 reb vs Embiid and 76ers

https://youtu.be/c6GuNEBW9pY

That’s well beside the point. I’m well aware that Kanter is a good offensive player but my point was that we would have trouble defending players such as Embiid.

And since when have we begun to justify the “winner” of a given matchup based on one game? Yes, Kanter outscored Embiid in the game you are referencing to but you fail to mention that Embiid scored 25 points and grabbed 16 rebounds, which gives you a jist of Kanter’s defensive skills against dominant big men.

The last 3 times (I’ll exclude the game on the 28. March 2018 as Embiid went out with an injury after 5 minutes of play) the two players squared up against eachother, Embiid was (based on the two parameters that you mention) the victor of the personal matchup against Kanter:

19. December 2019
Embiid: 24 points, 10 rebounds.
Kanter: 15 points, 6 rebounds.

28. November 2018
Embiid: 26 points, 14 rebounds.
Kanter: 17 points, 6 rebounds.

15. March 2018
Embiid: 29 points, 10 rebounds.
Kanter: 14 points, 10 rebounds.

Hence my point still stands.
Is your point that Embiid scores and rebounds below average against Kanter?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)