Author Topic: Will Celts miss Marcus Morris more than Irving and Horford?  (Read 3300 times)

Re: Will Celts miss Marcus Morris more than Irving and Horford?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 05:32:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No

There was no reason for him to attack Jaylen Brown

I mean things happen, but what was the point of that?

Also he shot the ball way too much

His mins/shots can go to everyone else.  Also an opportunity for Semi and Grant Williams to get in some reps

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2019, 05:35:59 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Will not miss him more than Al. Will miss him more than Kyrie. But I already miss the dump I flushed down the toilet this morning more than Kyrie.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 05:37:40 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
No, Horford's elite skill, Bball IQ, and versatility will be missed the most for his impact on winning.

Morris had a solid year, but I think that his scoring mentality and BS' liberal offensive philosophy was a detriment to the team last year despite his production. He and Kyrie gone are going to be addition by subtraction.

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 12:49:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
According to our own Mike Fisher, league sources suggest to DallasBasketball.com that the Dallas Mavericks are hoping to close deals on both Danny Green and Marcus Morris, with Green being the next domino to fall in this process. – via 247Sports

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 12:57:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I hope not, if we do that means Hayward still hasn't made it back.

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 01:23:03 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha….takes a breath....hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…..No.

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 01:24:59 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
According to our own Mike Fisher, league sources suggest to DallasBasketball.com that the Dallas Mavericks are hoping to close deals on both Danny Green and Marcus Morris, with Green being the next domino to fall in this process. – via 247Sports

Yes, please! Let the Lakers run out of options.  ;D

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2019, 02:10:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
For real?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2019, 05:10:19 AM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Personally, I'll miss him. I thought he did a great job while he was here. Sure, he looked for his shot, but we do some some players that will do that. "Irrational confidence guys" I think Bill Simmons calls them. Funny thing is, nobody ever seems to mention his rebinding, he was a very good and very consistent rebounder for us.

Also, doesn't he strike you as one of those players that fans of other teams often say "This guy always seems to kill when he plays us". Morris is the captain of the "This guy always kills us All-Stars". I would've liked to see him back at market value.

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2019, 06:27:52 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
JumpingJudkins - think you missed my point...the Celtics in free agency IMO have acquired adequate replacements for Kyrie and Al...

MikeB

Did I miss major signing? Because in no way are Kanter, Poirier, or Theis "adequate replacements" for Al

Well, I guess they're "adequate" in the same way that Semi is an adequate replacement for Morris (which is to say not at all)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2019, 08:53:37 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
OK, so the OP clarified and I think his point is that he is comparing the relative value of the replacement for Horford, Kyrie, and Morris (and others I guess).  It is hard to line these up exactly but this is what I see:

Walker replaces Kyrie
Kanter replaces Horford
Poirier replaces Baynes
LangfordWanamaker replaces Rozier
G. Williams (?) replaces Morris

Now I know that some of these are not going to be direct replacements.  For example Robert Williams may be more of the direct replacement for Baynes and Poirier then replaces Williams in a way.  No matter how you look at this, all of these are steps down or back.  Going from Morris to G. Williams may be the biggest step back.

To make up for all these steps back, we need to see improvement in individual play of Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Smart, and R. Williams.  Many of these players could very well be very much improved.  Other than Hayward, these are mostly young players who should improve.  In the case of Hayward, it is year 2 after a gruesome injury.

Don't get me wrong, I am not feeling good about all this.  It seems we are behind where we were.  Last season we had a more talented team that underachieved.  The season before that (after Kyrie injury) we had a less talented team that overachieved.  Hard to say what we are going to get out of this group.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 11:19:36 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2019, 09:51:44 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
They'll certainly miss Morris for his toughness. They won't miss his 3P shooting.

The team currently lacks toughness, with only Smart as the enforcer.

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I think it's pretty clear the team is going to miss Horford more than anyone.  I'm guessing they'll win around 10 games less than they did last season without him to hold the ship steady and organize the defense. 

Kyrie never actually made the team better so I guess Morris will be missed more than him.  He did prove last year that he's better than Hayward and the J's.

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2019, 10:23:00 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Wyc won't pay tax for a non-contender so I think it is safe to say Marcus is a goner. Good pro, ball sometimes sticks. Maybe not the best fit in a ball movement offense

This has nothing to do with the tax. The Celtics cannot re-sign Morris while also signing Kemba unless Philly or Brooklyn get involved, which would require significant draft capital.

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 10:27:20 AM »

Offline Th3M2n

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Hahaha no.  We will NOT miss that black hole on offense