Author Topic: Welcome back Theis  (Read 3671 times)

Re: Welcome back Theis
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Nice, to get him back. Is Wanamaker coming back as well?

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Good news, hope we get more of the 17-18 Theis than the 18-19 but he's been a solid piece for us and seems well-liked. Welcome back!

Agreed.  I hope he can settle into more of a consistent role and show out a bit more. 

The Celts now have a lot of big men to choose from, but no single guy will go into the season with more than a supporting role carved out.  Will be interesting to see who earns minutes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 02:51:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Exactly the contract I thought he would get. He is a nice, lowish cost piece that is a very good soldier in Brad's system.

But, I think the real reason he got so much is if we need to match salaries in a trade down the road. We weren't anywhere near the tax so it makes sens to pay him a little more.

Edit: I don't see it on the tweet, but has to be a team option on that 2nd year, right?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 02:58:55 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 02:54:42 PM »

Offline donawalt

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 6
I do like the intriguing possibilities in the front court that DA has created! I think there will still be moves though. The roster is really top heavy with bigs now, not a surprise as the coaching staff needs to see who can play, how to knit a team together that can play well at both ends of the court - plus some of these guys need some seasoning in Maine. Of 16 guys on the roster by my count, I doubt they are all capable of making the roster. I suspect by trade or some other concoction DA gets some more players win for camp:

Ball Handlers - Walker, Smart, Edwards, Waters
Wings - Tatum, Hayward, Brown, Langford
Bigs - Kanter, Poirier, Theis, G. Williams, Ojeleye, R. Williams, Yabusele, Fall

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 07:06:30 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Wowwwwwwwww, so this was the "I know something you don't know".

Hehehe, nah, this is great, love Theis.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
He will get hurt before the 1st game
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 07:22:36 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
It's a tad overpay IMO. He and his agent must have seen how desperate the C's are for bigs.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 07:49:56 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Have a feeling he is going to come up big for us as the first big off the bench.
As others have said I think he will play more PF this year and help push the tempo as a small ball center in up tempo lineups.

He is a active defender, can spread the floor, and has an under appreciated passing game.

Good solid young vet.

I’m kind of stoked about this squad. Develop an All For One defensively mentality and they could catch fire.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 08:18:13 PM »

Offline donawalt

• Svi Mykhailiuk
I could see him playing in a rotation with Kantes. Theis can handle the PnR, Kantes guards the rim. Raptors really exposed Giannis by ganging up on him in the finals, maybe Brad is going to play some combo of bigs against Giannis-Embiid to accomplish the same thing - it's a copy cat league after all.

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 08:19:29 PM »

Offline donawalt

• Svi Mykhailiuk
Hey! My forum rank is "Daniel Theis"! How meaningful today!!!!!

EDIT: Oops - post 15 I just changed to Robert Williams. Oh well.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 08:38:25 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I like Theis glad he's back also like how Danny has a few guys making $5 mill a season. Gives us more trading chips to build up to trade for someone that is making $20 mill, Steve Adams type!

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 08:38:57 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
For the amount we're paying I'm happy to have him come back. You can never criticize Theis Theis Baby for his effort at least.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 09:25:51 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
THEIS THEIS BABY!  8) 8)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 09:26:35 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Nice, to get him back. Is Wanamaker coming back as well?

yes
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 09:30:15 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Hoping he returns to 17/18 pre-surgery form. Can't see why not.

I thought he was better last year. Whatever happened with the surgery, it didn’t affect his shotblocking, which is one of his strengths, or his pnr defense, or his offensive rebounding. Leg surgery often hurts 3pt shooting, but his went up to a very good .388, and he was still a good finisher at the rim.

His defensive rebounding took a hit, but that’s less likely to be explained by post-surgery. He was still really foul-prone in his second season, but similar to where he was as a rookie.

On the plus side, he drastically cut his turnover rate; that might be the biggest improvement he had from year 1 to year 2 (and the thing that makes coach the happiest).

This is an excellent signing. He has a chance to up his court time and take the next step.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021