Author Topic: Boogie Cousins  (Read 17079 times)

Re: Report: Cousins to meet with Celtics and Heat
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2019, 08:13:02 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Celts need a body.  He's got one.  Grab him if he's game.
Yup

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2019, 08:14:02 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It wouldnt be the first reclamation player weve had. Could be a sleeper player in the vein of rasheed wallace

I've always thought of Rasheed with Cousins and fully expected him to get more mature with age. He'll always be who he is, but like Rasheed, could find a way to be less of a volatile liability as he ages.

Maybe it was just because it was Golden State and he couldn't act like an alpha on that team, but he didn't cause any problems when being benched over an "inferior" player in the Finals. And then when called upon, stepped up with 100% effort.

Again, he'll always have his flaws, but at some point I think he'll turn a corner, and maybe already has.

How far he'll come in recovery from his achilles injury, I just don't know. As much of a liability he was on defense in the finals, he still managed to be effective in his minutes (had a couple of bad calls go against him too that would have been big plays if they were called correctly, imo). He's also a great passer and facilitator, even in his current state.

If he's coming in for small money, he's got to be worth the risk. You can always cut or trade a guy like that if it becomes a problem.

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2019, 08:16:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I cannot imagine he's coming on a minimum. So it'd need to be a sign and trade. If we give up anything more than a 2nd round pick in a S&T I'd be pretty angry.

I just do not believe bringing in a high usage player of limited efficiency like Cousins is a good idea, especially after the disaster of last year.

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2019, 08:18:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
It wouldnt be the first reclamation player weve had. Could be a sleeper player in the vein of rasheed wallace

I've always thought of Rasheed with Cousins and fully expected him to get more mature with age. He'll always be who he is, but like Rasheed, could find a way to be less of a volatile liability as he ages.

Maybe it was just because it was Golden State and he couldn't act like an alpha on that team, but he didn't cause any problems when being benched over an "inferior" player in the Finals. And then when called upon, stepped up with 100% effort.

Again, he'll always have his flaws, but at some point I think he'll turn a corner, and maybe already has.
I don't think he'll react nearly as well for a team that hasn't won anything, same with Jayson/Jaylen getting touches over him.

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2019, 08:24:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Win win Win Win

Boogie takes us from bottom mid to top 4 eastern playoff team .

I think he grew up alot on the Warriors .....he became not the center of attention or star he had always been, but had to learn to be a steady team member . Keeping emotions in check for the teams sake.

He fought growing into this role tooth and nail , but i think he finally has got it.

Trade out of Al and Baynes for Boogie Kanter is pretty close wash , given Al s age at this point.

i would find it an interesting line up......i always wanted Smart and Boogie on the team at same time .  Emotions could run high  ;D

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2019, 08:28:00 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
really a no lose situation. If he's willing to accept a vet min then we have to sign him.

If he acts out of line he gets cut.

We need bigs but he needs us more then we need him at this stage. His stock has dropped, Stevens can bring it back up fairly easily if he buys in.

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2019, 08:28:38 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Hopefully it’s a sign and trade for Yabu. Maybe Cousins makes 4 million or so.

« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2019, 08:32:12 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
come on Danny !

make it happen !

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2019, 08:34:17 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
No brainer.  High BBIQ, great passer, will fill passing big vacuum left by Al.

I suspect he will be significantly better with more time healed and rehabbed.  Plus he was never a leaper, so you can't lose a vertical you never had.

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2019, 08:34:25 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Celts need a body.  He's got one.  Grab him if he's game.

Bingo !.....another big to clog the lane on Embiid . 

if CBS is gonna make his mark , he needs to learn how to use these giant guys and get comfortable doing  it and designing some plays for them .   As in future you want your coach to be known for helping all players not just little guards succeed

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2019, 08:36:05 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
After what happened last year, I just want to root for players I like. Maybe Cousins has changed, but it's still a risk. Also, I would prefer they sign somebody who doesn't desire numbers because they're playing for a new contract. If Cousins came here (doubtful because we can only offer the minimum), he would be motivated to "get his."

Listen, there's no move out there to make us a contender anyway. Let's get good locker room guys who can still play a little but are primarily there to mentor the young Williamses. They desperately need somebody to show them the ropes now that Horford is gone.

I saw a clip on NBCsports.com where Grant Williams was talking about Timelord instructing them and being a leader. While this is great to hear, I would hope during the regular season there are other veteran bigs around to take that responsibility.

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2019, 08:36:32 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I hope they sign him.. they need the size and I think he could fit pretty well.

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2019, 08:37:14 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I cannot imagine he's coming on a minimum. So it'd need to be a sign and trade. If we give up anything more than a 2nd round pick in a S&T I'd be pretty angry.

I just do not believe bringing in a high usage player of limited efficiency like Cousins is a good idea, especially after the disaster of last year.

Since he is having trouble even getting the MLE right now, I can't imagine it would be more than a 2nd - we should be getting an extra one anyway from CHA. Yabu and either Theis/Semi (neither who I am psyched to give up) along with some cash and a 2nd is the max I could see going out for him.

I have my reservations with Cousins, too. I was totally against acquiring a couple of years ago when he was traded to NOP; but I think it is a different story now. Splitting the C minutes between him and Kanter would give us a real threat for the entire game. I also believe the ceiling of this team moves into contender status if everything comes together (a lot to ask for, I know). Cousins and Kanter sounds a lot better than WCS/Amir Johnson - even though the latter won't take shots away from our young guys.

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2019, 08:44:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Since he is having trouble even getting the MLE right now, I can't imagine it would be more than a 2nd - we should be getting an extra one anyway from CHA. Yabu and either Theis/Semi (neither who I am psyched to give up) along with some cash and a 2nd is the max I could see going out for him.

I have my reservations with Cousins, too. I was totally against acquiring a couple of years ago when he was traded to NOP; but I think it is a different story now. Splitting the C minutes between him and Kanter would give us a real threat for the entire game. I also believe the ceiling of this team moves into contender status if everything comes together (a lot to ask for, I know). Cousins and Kanter sounds a lot better than WCS/Amir Johnson - even though the latter won't take shots away from our young guys.
In the end I think Jaylen/Jayson need to be able to take the next step for us to contend. Kemba/Hayward already need/use a lot of possessions. Can we really give many more elsewhere? Especially since Boogie is pretty inefficient with them even when he was healthy.

That's why I don't want Cousins, Kemba coming in is one thing. But we need Tatum to get the keys and show if he really is an all-star.

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2019, 08:45:59 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I feel the same way.  There's no financial risk with Cousins, so we can always dismiss him if attitude issues come into play.  Hopefully he can regain some of the limited athleticism that he had prior to the injury. 

This could have a real chance of working if Hayward returns to his Utah form.  Brad could get away with playing Smart and Brown together for longer stretches, which would help us mask some of the defensive issues in the front court.