Author Topic: Boogie Cousins  (Read 17080 times)

Re: Report: Cousins to meet with Celtics and Heat
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 12:16:56 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
He's not coming for the minimum, so if he would choose to come here it would seem likely that we would try to do one of the S&T deals to split the money for the full MLE between Kanter and Cousins, similar to what he got last year.

I'm borderline on him. While he definitely would fill a need for us as a low post presence and rebounder, let alone someone who could help initiate some of the offense from the high post, he'd only take more touches away from the Jays, Hayward, and Kemba.

That said, beggars can't be choosers, and on paper that's a pretty elite offensive squad in Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Cousins that should seemingly fit together pretty nicely. Could potentially be worth it on a one-year prove yourself type of deal.

C’s would be into that too many mouths to feed argument again if he’s brought in. He will want the ball a lot. Throw in the chemistry factor and it’s too big a risk for my blood.

This is what I'm thinking is the crux of the matter. While Cousins showed marked improvements in GS, I do wonder after last year's debacle if they would risk that again bringing in a known volatile player like Cousins, especially given that it would only exacerbate the touches issues.

And let's be clear - the offense should be pretty good already, probably top 10. With Kemba in tow and now significantly more touches for the Jays and Hayward, we should be a top-10 offense in the league again, I think, especially with Kanter who is able to initiate some of the offense from the post. Where we're really lacking is the interior defense aspect, especially if we start Hayward at the 4.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2019, 12:18:35 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Woj just said on ESPN Cousins doesn’t have a market right now. So maybe he will have to play on a team with an exception

Also a question, we still have a bi-annual exception to offer, right? That’s like 3.6M?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 12:21:17 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 12:25:21 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I really don't want Cousins on this squad. He didn't show enough last year to justify the number of shots and possessions he'd use. Plus I'd rather not bring in his personality.

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 12:25:37 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Woj just said on ESPN Cousins doesn’t have a market right now. So maybe he will have to play on a team with an exception

Also a question, we still have a bi-annual exception to offer, right? That’s like 3.6M?
Biannual exception is renounced when you operate as a team under the cap. We will renounce it along with the full MLE when we trade for Kemba

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 12:27:12 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Biannual exception is renounced when you operate as a team under the cap. We will renounce it along with the full MLE when we trade for Kemba

Ugh well that sucks. Thanks and TP!

So could a S&T scenario be feasible or impossible?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 12:36:14 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
He got absolutely torched in pick and roll switches over and over and over again in the finals. I like his ability to make plays on defense that create possessions, but when he's not doing that he's a huge liability.

And I don't see how much he'd really add to our already good looking offense, so I'll pass. Although, it's tempting to have another big body to throw at Embiid though.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 12:39:52 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

He got absolutely torched in pick and roll switches over and over and over again in the finals. I like his ability to make plays on defense that create possessions, but when he's not doing that he's a huge liability.

And I don't see how much he'd really add to our already good looking offense, so I'll pass. Although, it's tempting to have another big body to throw at Embiid though.

He did get torched, but I honestly think he rushed back from injury. He just didn’t look ready to me. He rushed back to ensure he gets a check, I don’t blame him but it didn’t make him look too good.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 12:42:19 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Ben DuBose@BenDuBose

@wojespn tells @notthefakeSVP that he doesn't even think there's an MLE deal available for DeMarcus Cousins. Wow. 

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 12:45:17 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Ben DuBose@BenDuBose

@wojespn tells @notthefakeSVP that he doesn't even think there's an MLE deal available for DeMarcus Cousins. Wow. 

everyone saw him play in the playoffs and looked pretty bad on def and his athleticism just hasn't returned.
it is telling that he is garnering so little interest.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 12:48:17 AM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I mean, he had barely returned from catastrophic injury. Hasn't he been a pretty significant positive on the defensive end most of his career?

IMO there are serious questions about attitude and health, but ability to score and defend aren't an issue. He was putting up 25/13/5 on 58% TS before the injury, with something like 8 years running of a positive DBPM. Maybe he'll never fit into a team concept, but it's not clear to me that he's ever been anything but a net positive on both ends of the floor throughout his career.

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 12:50:58 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I am all for taking a flyer on Cousins.

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 01:08:29 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Ben DuBose@BenDuBose

everyone saw him play in the playoffs and looked pretty bad on def and his athleticism just hasn't returned.
it is telling that he is garnering so little interest.
cousins available for the minimum

I'll take it

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 01:08:57 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
exactly. What's the worst that happens? If he sucks we cut him loose

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 01:17:27 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
exactly. What's the worst that happens? If he sucks we cut him loose

My thought exactly. I get the too many mouths to feed argument and worrying about chemistry issues but it s not the same as last year. Now if this happens you can easily without a second thought just cut him